Official: Knights sign Kalyn Ponga on a 4 year deal

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Lockwire211, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Completely agree, no one coming through is close to the level of greatness of Lockyer, Smith, Thurston, and Slater. Plenty of better athletes coming through but no one with near the potential of the first 4.

Jury for me is out on Cronk, he sort of reeks of being another GI only performs at that origin level. Going be a good test when he isn't surrounded by future immortals.

2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Morgan and Munster are a long way ahead of Pearce and Maloney. Munster’s 1st Origin game was much better than anything Maloney/Pearce have ever produced at Origin level. Morgan is a world class footballer and proven clutch player.

Cleary is ahead of Taylor just but both will be top players. Croft is abit of an unknown granted, but his performances so far in First Grade have been magnificent.

NSW have had a better pack for the majority of the last 10 years but Queensland and their creative players always find a way to win.
    The backs are even money imo. Holmes, Chambers, Gagai and Boyd is as good as any outside back combination that we could put together.

3. Lord of the Skraelings

None of these guys have even CLOSE to the aura of Smith and Thurston.

4. Lord of the Skraelings

I think your selling them short, you pair them with Thurston and Smith, instead of Farah and Stewart and see how they look.

5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I didn’t say they do. I said the were better than anything we have. Which they are.

6. Lord of the Skraelings

Crichton, Trobyvich's and Cleary say hello.

Them 3 alone blow away the young QLD'ers.

LEVR likes this.
  7. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Munsters first game? He did nothing other than "his job" which was to be a support act for the blokes actually doing the tough stuff. Personally i thought he had a good game. But to suggest that he is anywhere near Maloney at Origin level says to me that you haven't been watching Maloney calve up the Maroons through the middle every game he plays lol, that's not even an exaggeration. If you had instead said Pearce, then maybe we could talk

And the creative players you speak of are the blokes who are leaving. Their spine.

8. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

So when Munster uses his running game effectively he’s doing his job but when Maloney does it he’s carving them up? Maloney has had a couple of decent games at Origin level but more bad than good. He’s also over 30 and might not get another chance at that level anyway. He was terrible for Cronulla this season.

9. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

They might be hated by many, but I for one am gonna miss the team QLD has assembled for the last decade. They have been the only QLD side I've ever known so when I look back in 10 years time, I think I'm gonna wish I didn't take it such for granted, watching a side with the likes of Lockyer, Thurston, Smith, Slater, Inglis & Cronk all in it at around the same time. Even to a lesser extent freaks like Hodges & Folau, Matt Scott a warrior. That is a team for the ages.

Roosters are pretty much always a premiership contender side though, unlike Souths when Inglis went there. Will be almost hard for Cronk to not play well with also the addition of Tedesco. Will be riots if they don't go well.

That's a great point, we've often had the better forward pack. That's what made QLD so great, their spine players would pull something out of the hat in the last part of the game every single time. It was starting to get literally impossible for us to win a series. It still would be impossible if we didn't have the anomaly 2014 series win.

I personally can't see the new spine players coming through replicating that. I think the scores will even right up after the big retirements.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. LEVR

LEVR Banned

What I was saying is that Maloney has a record of calving up the Maroons. Most of his games have been very strong. And he is the first half selected in the team. Munster has nothing on Maloney. Maloney is credited as having been the common denominator in 3 grand finals in 5 years with 2 GF wins and he'll probably do the same at the Panthers

Munster is a ball playing fullback who's had the benefit of being carried by superstars in every game he has ever played as an adult

Your position is laughable. Even from the point of view that Maloney is worth nearly 1mil per season, and Munster is on a 400k contract, with minimal structural responsibility within the teams he plays in

11. Lord of the Skraelings

Tedesco doesn't run support play, and friend whilst good is a 10th of the hooker that Smith is. Not to mention lesser lights like Tohu and Chambers making his life easy.

His no guarantee to be as successful, lets be honest Smith has a Johns like influence on any team.

12. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

We’re watching different origin games obviously. Maloney had an average series in 2013, a couple of ok games in 16 and one good game this year.

His success at club level is excellent and he’s undoubtedly been a vital cog but the fact that every club he’s been to has been willing to let him go for someone else is telling.

He’s a good support player with a good general play kicking and is an excellent goal kicker. He’s also a horrible defender and penalty magnet. Good player overall but has a number of deficiencies. Munster created more on the centres for Australia than Maloney did at 5/8.

13. Left Foot

Left Foot Troy Fletcher

Munster’s Origin debut was one of the best I have seen.
    To call him a nuffie is a LOL

slotmachine likes this.
  14. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    See this is all well and good to say this player is better than that player. But ability doesn’t win football games on its own. Fifita and Gallen make all these metres but are they winning origin? No because they are a team of individuals.

The sooner NSW realise this the sooner they will be a better team.

So you can sit there and say Mcculough is no good, or Munster isn’t as good as Cleary. But the fact is they come from successful clubs who win football Games.

Maybe this is why we have recruited the way we have?

15. LEVR

LEVR Banned

HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING!!! Haha

16. LEVR

LEVR Banned

No. QLD win games because they have, arguably, the greatest spine ever witnessed in the history of the game

If Gallen played for QLD he'd be regarded as one of the best forwards ever AND one hell of a team player

17. packo

Government
    So you’re always right?

18. LEVR

LEVR Banned

No. But today you guys are makin it easy.

Maloney is better than Munster. Really simple.

And yea, im gonna have to stand by the comment that QLDs success over the past decade can be attributed to their immortal level spine above any other reason

This isn't even my opinion lol I'm just kinda rolling with the facts

19. packo

Government
    I support the blues mate.

20. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I think NSW's lack of success is overstated. Sometimes it surprises me when guys in the media like Joey & Gus bag the Blues after a series loss. It's kind of hard for a State of Origin side to be a bad team, they are all high quality players, very close to Australia's best 34 players out on the field at once. NSW would beat most teams assembled against them, QLD just happen to have a select handful of players that are of the most elite quality in no less than the brainy positions on the field. You can't tell me that putting Smith, Thurston & Cronk in the NSW side wouldn't change the fortunes of either side, then we can say QLD 'just don't get it'. NSW's time will come again, they just drew the short straw of this era.

Honestly, NSW hasn't even been that far off from QLD the last few years, the games are always very tight, QLD just have that extra class to grab the win. Because they just win all the time, it makes people emotional & they figure NSW must just be constantly awful.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017