Official: Knights sign Kalyn Ponga on a 4 year deal

So Toohey says Ponga and family are in Newcastle looking around, but he says the offer is for 2018 because he is signed for 2017.
Toohey also says the only other recruit for 2017 we are still trying for is Wardle for Mamo swap, but he says we have money to spend if anything comes up.

Think we'd be long odds to sign him because of the big competition we'd have with the Cowboys and Storm for his signature. It's fantastic that we've approached someone with a bright future nonetheless. If we pull it off then got to give a wrap to the club, won't be holding my breath though.

throw what ever we need to at him imo!!! would be a great signing
At age 18, Sione was rated higher than this bloke is now - and rightly so. He had come into firstgrade and played fantastic, and even got a start for Australia.
We threw a big contract at Sione, and I think he'll eventually be worth it, but most on here seem to think it was a massive mistake to throw big money at an 18 year old.

So Sione had had 7 great games of firstgrade, been picked for the PMs 13, and then Australia, and we gave him a 400k deal.

Ponga has had 3 games of firstgrade where he went OK, albeit in a side full of stars who looked after him, and he is worth a 500k deal? Really?

I think Ponga is more highly rated than Sione was. Sione was definitely seen as a future star centre, but Ponga is a spine player that has been chased by many NRL clubs, rugby union & AFL. I don't think Sione was ever considered the number 1 upcoming talent in the whole game.

Only thing in the Knights favour is, he can walk straight in to a vacant fullback spot. He won't get a start there at any of the QLD team's or the Storm...

I think Ponga is more highly rated than Sione was. Sione was definitely seen as a future star centre, but Ponga is a spine player that has been chased by many NRL clubs, rugby union & AFL. I don't think Sione was ever considered the number 1 upcoming talent in the whole game.
Not how I remember it.

Knights have pretty much said they are willing to match what ever is thrown at him. So its a matter of where he prefers to be.
Storm - he will walk straight into flb. Slater im not sure if he will play on so they have a free spot.

Cowboys have a few ahead of him at flb. So he will likely be stuck on the wing

Knights he will walk straight into flb and probably get the most $$$$ from

Just down to whether he wants to go to a team that is in a rebuilding stage or a team with a genuin chance to win a comp. Not confident at all we would get him but juat see it as a great signing if we do.
And to answer the question below. Yes i believe he would be worth the 500k a yr!

Where would Munster go if he signed with the Storm? Centres?
Munster is a legit talent so I'm surprised there is talk of replacing him at fb

Knights have pretty much said they are willing to match what ever is thrown at him. So its a matter of where he prefers to be.
Storm - he will walk straight into flb. Slater im not sure if he will play on so they have a free spot.

Cowboys have a few ahead of him at flb. So he will likely be stuck on the wing

Knights he will walk straight into flb and probably get the most $$$$ from

Just down to whether he wants to go to a team that is in a rebuilding stage or a team with a genuin chance to win a comp. Not confident at all we would get him but juat see it as a great signing if we do.
And to answer the question below. Yes i believe he would be worth the 500k a yr!
I reckon he'll probably stay at the Cowboys. Coote will move on soon and Ponga should slot in there when that happens.

At age 18, Sione was rated higher than this bloke is now - and rightly so. He had come into firstgrade and played fantastic, and even got a start for Australia.
We threw a big contract at Sione, and I think he'll eventually be worth it, but most on here seem to think it was a massive mistake to throw big money at an 18 year old.

So Sione had had 7 great games of firstgrade, been picked for the PMs 13, and then Australia, and we gave him a 400k deal.

Ponga has had 3 games of firstgrade where he went OK, albeit in a side full of stars who looked after him, and he is worth a 500k deal? Really?

Ponga has only played 2 games and if it weren't for the newly introduced rule he would of debuted before he was 18 just like Sione. Then if it weren't for injury he would of debuted over the origin period as well.

At age 16/17 he has been in the training squads of the Kiwis senior side as they try and convince him for their eligibility.

Sione is a talent but has nothing on this kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Not how I remember it.

You remember incorrectly then. Ponga has 4 different sporting codes trying to get him right now. Several NRL, the Lions plus the Reds and Kiwi Super Rugby Clubs and even golf as he was a junior champion back in New Zealand.

Ponga has only played 2 games and if it weren't for the newly introduced rule he would of debuted before he was 18 just like Sione. Then if it weren't for injury he would of debuted over the origin period as well.

At age 16/17 he has been in the training squads of the Kiwis senior side as they try and convince him for their eligibility.

Sione is a talent but has nothing on this kid.

- - - Updated - - -

You remember incorrectly then. Ponga has 4 different sporting codes trying to get him right now. Several NRL, the Lions plus the Reds and Kiwi Super Rugby Clubs and even golf as he was a junior champion back in New Zealand.

The blister rears its ugly head.

14991968_10207689749350753_1743224653865078764_n.jpg

Just re reading that, Toohey confirms Gagan is on a second tier contract, which I suspected, but nice to know he is not over priced.

I'd be amazed if he signed for you guys. Would be way better than the Broncos but I just don't see it happening. 99% chance he goes to Brisbane in my opinion.

It's all about making as much money as you can. But saying it's for your family even if you have no children and come from a well off family. If we offer enough we're a shot.

Back