Official: Jack Cogger signs with the Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Joshhh, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I reckon he just needs a chance. Lamb showed sfa for probably his first 15 games too.

2. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    There is no myth about conning a team into keeping three players when one was the higher priority. Based off what the coaching staff and CEO have said about where the club is headed the point still stands that I don't feel we should be helping the Bulldogs.

3. krustykraz

krustykraz Brett Shore

3mil divided by 4 is 750 a year.
    Channel 200k
    Pat 100k (I assume) 50 at the least
    So Sione would be on around 450k.
    That's what he would be worth.
    especially that he signed the contract after playing for the Kangaroos.
    Definently not on 600k

LEVR likes this.
  4. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Considering Pat will be in the Real NRL next season and Chanel played about 5 first grade games after re-signing, not sure we got value for money there.

But you could say that about 75% of the team over the last few years.

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    In hindsight even if only on a $150k the other boys were definitely over paid and Sione has not come CLOSE to justifying his $600k a year.

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

In hindsight, Lamb, Dan Saifiti, Ross, Barnett and Fitzgibbon were all under paid. Maybe they should sue. Good luck though, they all signed contracts.

7. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

8. rhugh89

That's a really short club statement :lol:

Matty23 likes this.
  9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You have to feel bad for the blokes who came too late to win Hagan lotto.

10. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jamie Ainscough

Same old story, if you don't like someone you exaggerate the situation.
    Many players don't give value if injuries occur, if Chanel was on 200k and Pat say 100k then Sione was on 400k-450k assuming the 3mil 4 year deal is correct or close. Of course if we stick to the facts we would have nothing to argue about.

11. krustykraz

krustykraz Brett Shore

where are you getting 600k from?

12. Frank McWilliams

Short but sweet, he stays and it is how it should be, pleased it has all been worked out.

13. rhugh89

Canterbury not giving up on Newcastle granting halfback early release to join Kennel this year

CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
    15 minutes ago

CANTERBURY are hoping Newcastle will have a change of heart and grant Jack Cogger an early release to join Kieran Foran — rather than spend a whole season in reserve grade as the Knights’ fifth-string playmaker.

On the same day the Bulldogs confirmed Cogger would head to Belmore for 2019 and 2020, Knights officials formally told Cogger and his management he would not be granted an early exit.

Mitchell Pearce, Connor Watson, Brock Lamb and even out-of-favour Trent Hodkinson are all ahead of Cogger in the Knights’ halves pecking order.

Should the Knights start the season well and there are few injuries, they might only then be tempted to give Cogger their blessing to join the Dogs before the June 30 deadline.

Canterbury coach Dean Pay spent time with Cogger in the NSW under-20s team, and knows the chance to play regular first-grade football along side a player like Foran would be much more beneficial for the Australian Schoolboys halfback.

Pay said “we’d jump at the chance if Jack became available now’’, and would have no issues plonking the eight-game rookie in the halves on the back of a late club preparation.

As it stands, the two pre-season trials against Canberra on the Sunshine Coast and Penrith at Belmore Oval will decide if Matt Frawley, Josh Cleeland or Nu Brown gets the honour of partnering Foran in round one.

Kieran Foran will be given ”limited game time’’ in just one of the pre-season hitouts.

“I know Jack well and he’ll suit our club,’’ Pay told The Daily Telegraph.

“We’re looking for a young half we can move forward with, we have Kieran, so there’s a good opportunity for him to learn off one of the best.

“He’s a level-headed kid, he’s got all the skills, and Kieran and the rest of the group would help bring those skills to the fore. He’ll be a good fit for us.

“He’s already here for 2019 and 2020, so if he came early it would create healthy competition for the position. That can only be a good thing for the club.’’

The Knights signed Kalyn Ponga 12 months ago and had hoped North Queensland would grant him an early release, only to be forced to wait a season.

The Knights will weigh up injuries and the form of their halves by the early rounds before they re-visit Cogger’s departure.

“We formally requested a release, and they’ve formally replied, telling us he won’t be released. We’ll abide by the umpire’s decision and Jack will do his best for the Knights this year,’’ Cogger’s agent Michael Newton said.

Once the Gold Coast landed the signature of Brenko Lee before Christmas, the Dogs freed up more room in their cap to accommodate a player like Cogger for this season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/6ed30b6392650b2e738e10594946c1f1

14. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

So losing Brenko Lee not only solved the Bulldogs salary cap woes but also freed up money for more signings? Nothing suss there.

Wobbles, rhugh89 and Tasgirl like this.
  15. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Course not mozza? Have you not heard the Turdburg has said come season start all Clubs will be complying strictly with the salary cap?

Regards Cogger, I do not think he would just walk into the NRL side. Nu Brown from the Sharkies would rate above him as first reserve

16. Wobbles

Wobbles Rodney Howe

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5...-are-reluctant-to-release-jack-cogger/?cs=306

Interesting quote from Brown:

"But Knights football manager Darren Mooney indicated the issue was non-negotiable, saying: “Jack will be here in 2018.”

Coach Nathan Brown said he had nothing further to add, after declaring two weeks ago: “I’ve got no doubt that Jack will play first grade for us at some stage this season.”

Tasgirl likes this.
  17. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

18. Frank McWilliams

If you take in ages by the time Pearce is done, end 2021?, Cogger will be 24-25yrs and at the top of his game, if successful and becomes a quality player we might have him back. I will be sorry to see him go but wish him well and hope he makes it to the top. Very happy to read that he is using the time here to learn and is putting in the effort, I think Brownie is right he will see some first grade this season.

19. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Good to see the Telewhinge try and guilt trip us into releasing him early, good luck with it. If other clubs dont have to do it neither do we.

20. rhugh89

Cogger committed to the Knights in 2018

Newcastle Knights
    Wed 31 Jan 2018, 01:44 PM

While Jack Cogger recently announced he’ll depart the nib Newcastle Knights at the end of the 2018 season to commence a two-year contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, the 20-year-old has reiterated his commitment to the Club this year.

“It’s a long way away yet, so I’m sure I’ll be excited when that time comes but it’s a while off at the moment,” Cogger explained.

“I want to play a part big here at the Knights, play as much first grade as I can, and hopefully become a better player for it.”

The young halfback, whose up against a wave of competition this year including the likes of Mitchell Pearce and veteran halfback Trent Hodkinson, has a few goals he wants to achieve this season.

He’s aiming to add more weight to his 83-kilogram frame and add to his eight career NRL appearances for the Club.

“Physically a couple more kilos would be good, and there’s always the skills side of the game,” Cogger added.

“Hopefully I can play a couple of first grade games or as many as I can and play a part in what will be a good season for the Knights.”

Having new recruits like Pearce has boosted the youngster’s confidence on the paddock.

“As a halfback learning about game management, it’s an under rated skill, and something Mitch has been good at for a number of years,” said Cogger.

“He’s done it at a grand final and State of Origins so just how you go about that and how you get yourself in the game.

“I’ll definitely get more tips from him and other experienced players as the season progresses.”

The Knights halfback will use the upcoming trials to show his continued improvement following a tough pre-season.

“You always want to show what you have learned over the pre-season and you want to become a better player from last year,” maintained Cogger.

“Each week you try to become better and the trials are just the start of that, hopefully leading into the season.”

Cogger is also excited about the calibre of players the Knights Reserve Grade side will field this year.

“We’re going to have some really experienced guys; guys that have played a lot of NRL in that team and some that have played international footy,” he explained.

“We’ll be quite strong in that competition this year, which is really good, and it’s only going to better us if we have to go up and play first grade.

“We’ll be better for it, playing in a strong Reserve Grade team.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/01/31/coggers-committed-to-the-knights-in-2018/