Official: Jack Cogger signs with the Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Joshhh, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LEVR

LEVR Banned

It's really tough on cogger to prevent him from taking a starting 7 role. It could cost him a career in FG

But truth be told. Hokko is gone. He'll be at Manly inside of a month. And if we then let cogger go, forget the reserve grade squad, we will have a very very thin selection of FG halves if we run into more than one injury

And particuarly if Watson becomes our utility

2. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    No guarantee's Pythian will stay fit or that he can play in the halves.

Ponga is our fullback, he won't be moving for a few years at least.

So that leaves Lamb.

3. Wobbles

Wobbles Arnold Krewanty

The only way an early release should be considered would be via a player swap which benefits us more than them.

It comes down to how much the Doggies want him this year and what they're willing to give up to make it happen.

Otherwise, we'd be silly cutting him loose early.

4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

I am not for letting any contracted player go, needed or not unless it is to our benefit, swap etc, a contract should be honoured.
    Understand it may hurt Coggers future but he wouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot at Dogs unless injuries so is same here so he should be setting his sights on playing well, filling in 1sts if needed and securing a good contract for 2019, he didn't end well 2017, injuries, so end of 2018 is likely to show him in better light, more money, he is still very young.

5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Hodko is same no go unless beneficial swap, why should we help Manly out for no benefit to us, not like we are over salary cap. He can cover reserves, play half back if injury etc to Pearce or Cogger, assist development of younger players in the 6-7 positions and leave end of 2018. Having experienced players in both 1sts and reserves will assist development and those not required at contract end can leave.

6. BargeArse

BargeArse Gary Wurth

I’m late to the party but don’t see how anyone could make this comparison. Foran is a big, strong, physical half – both in terms of his ball running and defence. None of those adjectives could be used to describe Lamb.

Lamb’s a crafty ball player with a finesse running game. He uses his footwork more than anything else. Defensively he’s solid for a young small half, but he’s not going to come up and hit you or overpower you with his running game like Foran, who could be confused as a backrower at times.

slotmachine likes this.
  7. Lord of the Skraelings

Not the first time the worlds been against me.

8. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Lamb's official profile says he is 179cm and 78kg, but it's been saying that since he was 17, and he's 21 in a few weeks.
    In the team photo a few weeks ago he was standing between King and Yates, and he towered over Yates (180cm) and looked very close to the same height as King (187cm).
    I'd guess that Lamb is now 185cm and about 90kg - which isn't small for a half.

9. BargeArse

BargeArse Gary Wurth

Small probably wasn’t the right term. I was more so meaning young and somewhat undeveloped. In comparison to Foran as well who’s arguably the most strong/physical half in the game – there’s no contest right now.

I will give it to Lamb though; physically he’s come a long way and looks well put together now for a 20 year old half.

10. Wobbles

Wobbles Arnold Krewanty

[​IMG]

11. Billy

Lamb made a lot of progress last year, but people forget he had knee and shoulder surgery before last off season and was mostly doing rehab. As far as we know he is fit and doing all the training this year, so I expect to see him a bit bigger and a lot stronger in 2018.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

To be quite frank I don't care about Cogger after he leaves us. Did we have the option of not paying him if he went rubbish or got injured(oh wait he did.)

13. Ethan

Ethan Sean Rudder

There's no Guarantee anyone will stay fit and yes Ponga is our F/B but if he gets injured Pythian can cover him as can Watson and Pythian can cover 5/8 and 1/2 too ....Dylan Phythian is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays for the Newcastle Knights in the National Rugby League. He plays at fullback, five-eighth and halfback......

14. Billy

As I said before the pre season, Cogger could well be our biggest improver this year.
    He pretty much lost last year to injury, struggling to get back to where he was the year before, but since he made his firstgrade debut at 18, he has clearly put on some size and strength and hid fitness has gone to a new level as well.
    Working with Pearce and doing sessions with Matt Johns won't hurt him either.
    I expect a breakout year.

15. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well this got out of control quickly...

1. This thread is about Jack Cogger's future. Not the Cowboys, Manly, Morgan, JT or anything else so stay on topic

2. We shouldn't have to delete or move off topic posts because quite frankly there should be no off topic posts, Not sure why certain members struggle with this very basic concept but the off topic posts in this thread will now be deleted

3. When a mod posts stay on topic as Aidos did earlier we expect you to follow that instruction

4. @listo in regards to your post "After all this time off, I finally log back in to see if there’s any new news & not much has changed.
    Still bagging our own players & arguing about how good cowboys players are... yep, good Knights forum this one"

This is the best Knights forum out there and the majority of our members do the right thing. I would hope that long term members like yourself wouldn't let a few bad apples deter you from contributing. Prior to this the last few months had been great and things were going smoothly and we will get them back on track.

Now, Personally I hate having to deal with this kind of crap even though it's part of my job

I prefer when people just do the right thing, It makes everything so much easier and allows free flowing debate and opinions

You guys are better than this, You know the rules...Let's get on with it

Lefty, Still_Nutty, Wobbles and 2 others like this.
  16. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Forum has been the best it’s been in a long time. We will always get off topic it’s inevitable.

Just need a slight reminder. I’m off topic now.

Joshhh and rhugh89 like this.
  17. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I get a few posts straying off topic, Your right it happens and it's inevitable

In most cases one of us will just post a reminder like aidos did earlier and most of the time that does the job

But when I have to go through a thread and delete 88 posts in a single thread that's ridiculous

Anyway I don't want to go on about it and I don't want to derail this thread anymore

All I can do is ask that everyone follows the rules and stick to the topic of the thread

packo likes this.
  18. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Agreed.

Everyone gets along great, has a laugh and a good impassioned discussion. Surely they're the metrics?

Sure its not ideal to get off topic, but its hardly a crippling distraction. Ill try to stay on the topic of the threads im posting in in future tho

packo likes this.
  19. BargeArse

BargeArse Gary Wurth

I agree with what’s been said above.

Surely good conversation is more important than strictly staying on topic. I mean, how much is there to say about Cogger’s future, really?

I accept how the mods want to run things, but I disagree with deleting 4 pages worth of good - albeit off topic conversation. This thread will likely die now.

mozza and Joshhh like this.
  20. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I enjoy a bit of off-topic, gets the natural conversation flowing, can understand when it derails a thread though that mods can't have it because then what is the point of a thread topic. I like the idea of seeing conversation get moved to a more relevant thread though rather than straight deleted.