NYC experience inspires Brock Lamb

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by rhugh89, Sep 25, 2014.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

NYC experience inspires Brock Lamb

Thu 25th September, 03:31PM

Young five-eighth Brock Lamb has enjoyed playing with Newcastle Knights Under 20s since joining the side late in the season.

17-year-old Lamb made his NYC debut in Round 21, when the Knights played the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Sydney.

Those regular season games plus the finals has provided Lamb with valuable experience, which is set to serve him well when he represents the Australian Schoolboys at the end of the year.

"It was a big step up to play Under 20s and it was hard because I wasn't mates with all the blokes when I first came in, but then I became mates with them," Lamb reflects.

"I was just glad a got a couple of games in the finals, so I can bring that experince into the normal season."

Lamb explained it was always his goal to take his football to the next level with the Knights.

"I though I'd just train with them for a while and maybe get a game in the coming years, but to get a game was really good, because I wasn't really expecting that," he added.

"A few of the boys and I had played together before so it made it a little easier."

While disappointed about not going further in the Holden Cup final series, the Under 20s were pleased to secure the minor premiership.

"Everyone is just happy we finished where we did, we finished minor premiers, which is a good achievement," Lamb said.

"To come into the finals and play two of the games, that's pretty good for us and I'm happy that we got there."

For now, Lamb shifts his focus to the Australian Schoolboys.

He was selected alongside teammates Jack Cogger and Braden Robson and will tour England in November.

"It didn't really set in at the start, but to realise that I'm going to represent my country is pretty important and means a lot to me," Lamb said.

Lamb will spend a week in Canberra training with the team before traveling overseas to play in the six-week tournament.

"It's all happening and it's pretty exciting," he added.

The emerging Knight balances high school with rugby league and believes the key to succeeding at both is time management.

"If you can get that right everything just seems to click into place," he concludes.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/09/25/nyc_experience_holds_lamb_in_good_stead.html

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He actually played off the bench in the game before the Souths game and got a try assist in his 15 minutes on the field.

I actually made a point of going down to the Souths game just to see Lamb in his first full game and had the pleasure of telling a fanatical Souths fan that the guy who was taking them to pieces had just turned 17 that week.

I'd like to see Lamb and Cogger play the first part of the season in SG Ball next year. I don't think we should rush them. They will still be 17 at the end of the Ball season.

3. Bob

Bob Con Mika

I agree with you there billy plenty of time these boys are still young with so much talent

4. Billy

Lamb and Cogger will come back from the Australian schoolboys tour as much better players.
    6 weeks training with a new coach and with the best under 18s players in the country and also playing 6 games against strong opposition and in conditions they haven't seen before (English winter) will add a lot to their experience and confidence.
    6 weeks on a junior tour like this is equal to a full season of NYC experience wise. Every player who goes on one of these tours comes back a much better player.

5. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    Could easily have a beer with you billy and talk footy haha

6. Billy

Winning MOTM awards for Australian schoolboys is taking it to a new level for Lamb.

I don't always pick the best juniors the first time I see them play, but with Lamb I saw him in a Mathews trial game and thought he had playmaking skills Jarrod Mullen would be proud of, including a kicking game that was the equal of Mullen already.
    You don't always see it during games, but when you see the highlights of a game, it's amazing how often Lamb throws the pass that sets up a try or a linebreak and how often his kicks stop in the ingoal or put the defence under pressure. He just seems to have all the time in the world to make the right decision - like he is thinking 2 seconds ahead of everyone else on the field.
    He has a lot of work to do in the gym before he is physically ready to move up to seniors, but his skills are there already IMO.

7. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    You watch him become a star at a big sydney club

8. Defender1

Defender1 Mark Hughes

Hopefully we've got him locked up for a long time :think:

9. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

According to this he signed a 3 year deal in January 2013

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/s...amb-raring-to-go-for-knights-under-16-season/

10. mad goanna

mad goanna Danny Wicks

Like Stuart Collins, Jarrod O'Doherty and Dan Quinn?

11. Billy

I was thinking he could be a Chris Tyrie - brilliant playmaker in the juniors, but was absolutely smashed when he made the seniors and never even looked like playing firstgrade. Or even a Beau Henry, who was never able to deal with the physicality of seniors either.
    But let's hope not.