NSW Blues Origin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross puts thumb up
By David Riccio | June 22, 2008 12:00am

0,,6105028,00.jpg

NEWCASTLE prop Ben Cross has gone to extraordinary lengths to give himself a chance to play for NSW in next Wednesday's State of Origin decider at ANZ Stadium.

With selectors split on the team after the humiliating loss in Brisbane, there are more than 12 contenders making a desperate push for inclusion today.

Cross (pictured left) is leading that charge after getting the all clear on Friday to face the Roosters today at EnergyAustralia Stadium. The 112kg prop, who missed game two with a broken thumb, forked out just over $400 for a flight to Melbourne last Tuesday, before returning 11 hours later with his Origin hopes resting literally in his hands.

He will take the field against the Roosters with a special guard to protect his hand after getting advice from former Melbourne team-mate Ryan Hoffman.

"I knew it was going to be worthwhile going down there because previously Matt King and Ryan Hoffman have used a similar guard,'' Cross said.

"Ryan Hoffman is the one who talked me into going down. From that recommendation, I knew there would be no problems.

"It's like a shock absorber style guard. It sits over the thumb.''

Combining regular sand-hill runs with spin classes, Cross said his fitness hasn't dropped despite the injury, sustained during the Origin opener.

"I said to the surgeon straight off the bat that I want to get back for the Roosters game and he said he was willing to work with me,'' Cross said.

"He's done this operation on rugby union players before and got them back in the same time frame I'm looking at. Ever since, I've been doing everything to stay in good nick.''

On arguably the most significant afternoon of football this season, Cross will join Newcastle team-mates Kurt Gidley, Jarrod Mullen, Steve Simpson and Danny Buderus in trying to impress against a Roosters team littered with Blues contenders, including Braith Anasta, Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason, Anthony Tupou and Craig Fitzgibbon. In New Zealand, Manly forwards Brent Kite and Anthony Watmough will make their final bid for selection.

Along with Cross and the Dragons' Jason Ryles, Kite has support among NSW officials.

At Toyota Stadium, Cronulla's Greg Bird and Paul Gallen need only to continue their recent form to be included in the NSW starting line-up, while the Eels Brett Finch can make a late challenge for the No7 jumper.

"My focus is on beating Parramatta, but I'd love the opportunity to win the decider,'' Gallen told The Sunday Telegraph.

St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier is causing most concerns after he hurt his back in the Dragons' 13-12 victory over Penrith on Friday night.

Gasnier is set to undergo scans tomorrow, but it is expected NSW coach Craig Bellamy will name Gasnier and give him until Friday to prove his fitness.

It's understood the Raiders' Joel Monaghan or Penrith's Luke Lewis will be considered as a shadow player for Gasnier, just as they were before game two when he was hampered by a hamstring problem.

Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne will replace Steve Turner for the July 2 decider at ANZ Stadium.
DT

Crossing the Road to Rep Footy
By Ben O’Neil

KNIGHTS prop Ben Cross always knew his time to play representative football would come.

At 29 years of age, most players without an Origin appearance would be starting to wonder if their chance had passed by.

But for Cross he says it was not a matter of if, but when.

“I knew if I kept working hard enough for long enough the selectors would give me a
chance,” Cross said.

“Origin was exactly what I thought it would be.”

Cross says he is honoured to add his name to an illustrious list of Knights players to represent New South Wales.

“My debut meant everything to me,” he said.

“When you walk through the Knights offices there are pictures of the guys who have played Origin.

“It’s great that now I’m going to be part of the history of the club.”

From a junior in Bateman’s Bay to a Blues front rower, rugby league has been quite a
journey for Cross.

After spending a year playing in Paris, Cross made his NRL debut in 2003 with the Canberra Raiders.

He spent two years in the nation’s capital, before moving to Melbourne in 2006 where
he achieved two grand final appearances and a premiership.

But in a team of superstars, something had to give for Melbourne to remain under
the salary cap, and Newcastle was quick to snap up the bulky front rower.

Securing his playing future by signing a three year deal with the Knights, Cross now
has his sights firmly set on making sure his Origin appearance is not a once off.

Cross will be looking to get some more game time under his belt, after breaking his
thumb in Origin one.

Depending on his return, Cross may only have a handful of games to determine
whether he earns his recall to the Blues squad.

So he says he will be doing everything he can to return to the paddock and prove
he his fit to rejoin to the Blues team for the third match.

“That’s definitely still my goal,” Cross said. “I’ll only have one game back to prove
myself, but I’m confident.”

And it seems the Blues are just as keen to have him back on deck for, after flying him to Brisbane to watch Origin two from the stands.

“They flew me up to have a look, watch it and be with the boys,” he said.

“It was great to be a part of it.”

But whether he makes a return to the Origin side, or not, he remains focused on further success in 2008.

At club level, Cross believes the Knights still have every opportunity to make 2008 a
memorable one.

“As soon as we get the same team on the park, get some continuity, some consistency, we’ll climb the ladder,” Cross said.

“If we win half of our remaining games then we’ll be there.”

And there is an added incentive for Cross, a good finish to the year could see Cross make his international debut at this year’s World Cup.

“Obviously there’s the World Cup at the end of the year,” he said

“I’d love to be a part of that big squad.”

“It’s head down, bum up.”

Following in the footsteps of Paul Harragon and Mark Sargent, there is every chance one day Cross could be considered a Knights legend.

Like a fine wine, it seems Cross will only get better with age.

ITC

BIRD OUT OF THE DECIDER

GREG Bird is out of Origin III after being taken off the field in the Cronulla clash with Parramatta.

Sharks officials said Bird had suffered a posterior cruciate ligament injury in his left knee, almost certainly ruling him out of Origin III in 10 days' time.

Bird will have scans on the injury tomorrow, but his best case scenario is missing two-to-six weeks of football.

The Cronulla star was taken off the field with a serious leg injury at the half-hour mark after being dragged down by Eels half Brett Finch just inches from the tryline.

Bird rolled heavily on both his ankle and knee and required assistance from the medicab to get off the field.

The Blues will announce their side for State of Origin III at ANZ Stadium on July

LINK

I would've had Anasta at 5/8 all along and I would've had Bird at lock. I'd prefer Bird to Anasta, but I'd prefer Anasta at 5/8 then Bird at 5/8, if that's understandable. :think:

Gidley at half and Anasta at five-eighth would be okay. Gidley virtually played 5/8 for us today in attack, he did a lot more organising than Bailey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back