Mitchell Pearce

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by josh2010, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Adam Woolnough

Best news of 2017!

Lefty and member 2299 like this.
  2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    The old fellah would have been shattered Nick!!!

3. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Adam Woolnough

My dad passed last year, massive roosters fan, massive Pearce fan...

Been thinking all week how he would be feeling right now... He would want them to play together Cronk and Pearce... But I think he would also be happy to see Pearce come to the Knights if he did leave.. If Pearce went to Manly he would be devastated!

4. member 2299

Retired
    Sorry mate I did not know that. Like me he was a chooks fan before the Knights came on the scene.

5. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Ooh... the shame.:p

member 2299 likes this.
  6. member 2299

Retired
    Not like you Tasgirl, a Manly fan?

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    LOL what a long bow to draw if the other Smith was fit he would have been toiling away in reserves.

I am not saying his awful, but at his age the fact he hadn't found a regular gig at a NRL club, shows what he is a handy backup.

Not some hidden gem.

8. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Never...Pumpkin Pickers actually, never followed an NRL team before the Knights.

9. Knighted

Knighted Glen Frendo

Engineer
    Plenty of successful players in the NRL are late bloomers (Nathan Ross anyone...
    ), also he's 26 not 30.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

Not saying he is a hidden gem but Bellamy wouldn't pick a no hoper to play in a G/F and as Smiths back up ...A lot of players don't kick on till later in theyre careers , we have 1 in our team in Nathan Ross he didn't get a gig at any other NRL club but is now our best winger and finisher ...

11. Wobbles

Wobbles Rod Whitaker

Guess we're not going to know until he shows what he's got during pre-season and in the early rounds of the season.

The other question regarding the hooker rotation is do we keep the current plan of Buhrer starting then bringing Levi on and still carry Griffin on the bench as Levi's replacement?
    This seems highly unlikely, no way do we carry less than 3 forwards on the bench.

I'd like to think that Levi has graduated to the starting role and we use Griffin off the bench. Buhrer would be a useful backup if needed but I don't think he should be a first choice hooker from here on.

12. Simon Templar

Simon Templar George Mann

Project Manager
    I have been watching him "Closely" for years trying to discover the secrets that make the Storm different, he has an analytical football brain , he dissects a team and plots how to capitalise on their weaknesses.

Most of the plays are devised in "Video Review sessions" they just need the right opportunity to call them.

When patterns are identified, Cronk would call a play ( before the set even starts ) into Cam knowing how the defenders will react and tells Smith what tackle he wants the ball back, this gives him time to marshall and position his outside players, including the opposition.

Cam, Billy and Cronk always keep the pressure on the opposition, but use the Forward rucks to buy time for set plays.

Watch Cronk at every break in play he does the talking and Smith has acknowledge this often.

Rest assured Cronk maybe an "ordinary player" but he is a master at picking a side to pieces before , on the run and during the game .

13. Lord of the Skraelings

modern burlesque dancer
    True dat. I'd hope Buhrer would be Levi's cover to start with and Slade would be backup, makes better bench sense IMO.

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Rod Whitaker

The only issue is that we'd be carrying both a hooker and utility on the bench. That would take away from the impact of the forward rotation if it was down to 2 off the bench.
    The problem is that our forward pack is probably our strongest asset right now and we don't want to weaken that.

15. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Hoogerworf

Can't see Levi, Buhrer and Griffin in 17 at same time unless Buhrer is selected to play 2nd row only.
    That would then mean that Levi starts with Griffin on bench and used when needed at hooker.
    If Buhrer is in 2nd row with Guerra and Barnett at 13 gives you 3 Feds plus Griffin on bench.

Wobbles likes this.
  16. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Buhrer was bought as a second-rower, he was never meant to play hooker but Kostjasyn went down & Buhrer was the best like for like replacement. Griffin's signing to me is an effort to put Buhrer back where he was meant to be in the first place.

mozza, Battler and Wobbles like this.
  17. Lord of the Skraelings

modern burlesque dancer
    11. Barnett.
    12. Guerra.
    13. Buhrer.

14. Slade.
    15. Jafiti
    16. Lillyman
    17. Fitzgibbon.

Levi or Slade go down, Fitzy can take over for Buhrer and Slade can do 15 each half otherwise.

I'd even say run with another forward on the bench if Levi can go 80 and have buhrer as injury cover.

All 80 minute players 11-13.

18. Wobbles

Wobbles Rod Whitaker

With the possible future reduction in the number of interchanges we're more likely to see an increase in the number of 80-minute hookers.

Levi definitely didn't look out of place in the Kiwi squad and I think he has the makings of an elite hooker, especially on the back of a strong forward pack. There's no reason he couldn't play the full match with a spell if really needed.

Griffin in the 14 as a utility plus 2 props and a second rower off the bench looks pretty good at this stage.

19. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Levi can either be high impact/ short minutes like he is for the kiwis or low impact/ long minutes like he is for us.
    He will never have the motor to play high impact for 80 minutes.
    We would basically be wasting Levi's talents if we made him play 80, and might as well play Griffin for 80 instead.

20. EASBay17

EASBay17 Tim Maddison

Yep this. Brown said as much in an interview, griffin is a replacement for kostjacyn