Official: Knights sign Mitchell Pearce on a 4 year deal

A couple of other questions regarding this issue:

- How much is he on?
- If he left would the Roosters cover any of his contract? (I would expect not).
- What happens once Cronk retires, does Pearce up and leave and go back to the Roosters? (depending on how much bad blood there is, I would expect so, not the worst option).

Given that the only (public) reason that Pearce is looking to leave is that the Cronk process has been done behind closed doors.
Aren't the Knights following suit by doing the same thing with Lamb/Watson and to a lesser degree, Hodko?

If Lamb/Watson bought into the process and were supportive of it, that changes everything and I'm on board too. Otherwise I see them considering jumping on the playmakers' merry-go-round as well.
Doesnt matter how much he is on as we would have to pay 1mil plus to get him given the interest from a couple sydney clubs.
Given he wants to leave i doubt Roosters would pay a thing.
I wouldnt mind if he left after 2 yrs tbh. Lamb should be ready by then!

I would be happy to take Pearce but if he wants out of the Roosters just because they signed Cronk then that is pure arrogance. I would assume being the current senior half & playing over 200 games, Pearce would just slip into the 6, with Keary getting pushed out, Keary would have a right to be pissed off. When a player like Cronk comes around & you're in the business of winning premierships, you find a way to bring them in. Politis already said they absolutely want to keep Pearce so it's not like they've told him they're replacing him with Cronk, they're just adding another key piece to the puzzle. If they actually want to move Pearce to hooker, then I can understand him wanting out, that would be demoralizing to be brushed aside into a position he doesn't wanna play.

I would be happy to take Pearce but if he wants out of the Roosters just because they signed Cronk then that is pure arrogance. I would assume being the current senior half & playing over 200 games, Pearce would just slip into the 6, with Keary getting pushed out, Keary would have a right to be pissed off. When a player like Cronk comes around & you're in the business of winning premierships, you find a way to bring them in. Politis already said they absolutely want to keep Pearce so it's not like they've told him they're replacing him with Cronk, they're just adding another key piece to the puzzle. If they actually want to move Pearce to hooker, then I can understand him wanting out, that would be demoralizing to be brushed aside into a position he doesn't wanna play.

Arrogance seems a bit harsh his a 28 year old halfback in the prime of his career who has won comps for that club and played origin so I can see why he would be annoyed about Cronk. Keary will be the six next year and either Friend or Pearce will move on or to the bench.

A couple of other questions regarding this issue:

- How much is he on?
- If he left would the Roosters cover any of his contract? (I would expect not).
- What happens once Cronk retires, does Pearce up and leave and go back to the Roosters? (depending on how much bad blood there is, I would expect so, not the worst option).

Given that the only (public) reason that Pearce is looking to leave is that the Cronk process has been done behind closed doors.
Aren't the Knights following suit by doing the same thing with Lamb/Watson and to a lesser degree, Hodko?

If Lamb/Watson bought into the process and were supportive of it, that changes everything and I'm on board too. Otherwise I see them considering jumping on the playmakers' merry-go-round as well.
I agree with what you're saying.
I think we're comparing apples and oranges when we talk about Maloney or Cronk coming to the knights vs Pearce. Cronk and Maloney are at the backend of their careers and have a lot to give in terms experience of how to win games and how to train... Pearce is in his prime and I don't think he has the skill set to win the big one by himself... I also think that people forget how big SBW & Maloney were when they won that year... I mean why hasn't he won a premiership since? Maloney has? Its basically the same team except for Maloney and SBW.
Also it's not like we're all of a sudden going to win a premiership just cos we have Pearce... I just don't see the value in getting him especially at 1 million a year...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I agree with what you're saying.
I think we're comparing apples and oranges when we talk about Maloney or Cronk coming to the knights vs Pearce. Cronk and Maloney are at the backend of their careers and have a lot to give in terms experience of how to win games and how to train... Pearce is in his prime and I don't think he has the skill set to win the big one by himself... I also think that people forget how big SBW & Maloney were when they won that year... I mean why hasn't he won a premiership since? Maloney has? Its basically the same team except for Maloney and SBW.
Also it's not like we're all of a sudden going to win a premiership just cos we have Pearce... I just don't see the value in getting him especially at 1 million a year...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Geez mate I’m pretty sure Gallen Lewis Barba Bird Ennis Holmes Fafita went a long way to helping Maloney. I’m not suggesting he is t good but he didn’t do it by himself. Look how much different they have been without Ennis and Barba this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hate to stiffle Lamb's career by dropping him to reserve grade for a guy that constantly goes missing in big games and that's not what we want. I could understand for Cronk or maybe Maloney that can deliver when needed but not Pearce.

I would hate to stiffle Lamb's career by dropping him to reserve grade for a guy that constantly goes missing in big games and that's not what we want. I could understand for Cronk or maybe Maloney that can deliver when needed but not Pearce.
well said

Arrogance seems a bit harsh his a 28 year old halfback in the prime of his career who has won comps for that club and played origin so I can see why he would be annoyed about Cronk. Keary will be the six next year and either Friend or Pearce will move on or to the bench.

If he's getting moved out of position then fair enough. But if he's going to retain his halves spot & still leaves then it's a bit of a hissy fit because he's not willing to work with another general, a guy who can improve their premiership chances, but instead crying because he wants to be the main man. But I guess they see Pearce having a more successful transition to hooker than Keary, which is probably true.

The way I see it you could really only be playing at an elite level for 2 reasons legacy or money, his money is already guaranteed and can only improve his value working with Cronk and as for legacy with Cronk in the team they are more likely to win the comp and enhance his legacy so I really can’t see him going anywhere I fact Robinson has come out today and said he hasn’t heard anything from Pearce or his manager so I’m calling media beat up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has been posted in thread, but apparently Quayle and Gardner have booked an appointment with Politis for Tuesday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/c9de3c9b87fd5692ed62afabbba6adf8

Brown is quoted as saying Pearce is only 28 and the best halves are playing till 35.

If I were Lamb I'd be reading that as an ominous sign. Watson coming also expecting a spot. Competition for positions is great, but in the halves you want, and need stability and dominance.

I’d love to snag Pearce. I’m not a fan of him at Origin level but at club level he’s a good half IMO.

If we signed him, my first thought would be to pair him in the halves with Lamb – who really came on the back half of last season. Lamb deserves to keep his spot in the halves if he has a strong offseason. Ponga obviously gets first crack at fullback. That kid can become anything. He has a really high ceiling IMO. I hope he pans out. That leaves Watson, who initially I’d start at hooker to keep happy and have Levi off the bench to spell him – like he was doing with Buhrer anyway.

Obviously it’s an open competition and as thing progress, it’ll become clear as to who’s performing and who should play where. Watson could easily play fullback or five-eighth for example if the others aren’t impressing. That’s what I’d pencil in to begin with but as it puts them all in the 17.

1. Ponga
6. Lamb
7. Pearce
9. Watson
14. Levi

Last edited:
I’d love to snag Pearce. I’m not a fan of him at Origin level but at club level he’s a good half IMO.

If we signed him, my first thought would be to pair him in the halves with Lamb – who really came on the back half of last season. Lamb deserves to keep his spot in the halves if he has a strong offseason. Ponga obviously gets first crack at fullback. That kid can become anything. He has a really high ceiling IMO. I hope he pans out. That leaves Watson, who initially I’d start at hooker to keep happy and have Levi off the bench to spell him – like he was doing with Buhrer anyway.

Obviously it’s an open competition and as thing progress, it’ll become clearer as to who’s performing and who should play where. That would be what I’d pencil in to begin with but.

1. Ponga
6. Lamb
7. Pearce
9. Watson
14. Levi
That works for me.

Watson is honestly a waste at hooker. He played well there cos he's just a good footballer but it's not his game.

Watson is honestly a waste at hooker. He played well there cos he's just a good footballer but it's not his game.
his utility ability is his best feature.
As a 5/8, he's just another unproven rookie. As a utility, he's a guy who can cover a lot of shortcomings for us.

If he's getting moved out of position then fair enough. But if he's going to retain his halves spot & still leaves then it's a bit of a hissy fit because he's not willing to work with another general, a guy who can improve their premiership chances, but instead crying because he wants to be the main man. But I guess they see Pearce having a more successful transition to hooker than Keary, which is probably true.

According to rothfield he was either going to the bench or hooker for what it's worth, I don't really see Pearce as a six either. IMO opinion the roosters signing Cronk is similar to us signing Boyd an unnecessary signing that creates more headaches than it solves.

his utility ability is his best feature.
I agree he would make a nice utility and he filled in at hooker well, but he's much more than just a utility player IMO. His best football by far was at five-eighth and fullback. His running game and speed are his best assets so playing him at hooker I don't think would get the best out of him

So you wouldn’t pursue Pearce because Watson is wasted at hooker?

I like the Watson signing, but I’m not 100% sold on him at five-eighth. He doesn’t seem like a natural ball player, and that’s generally what I look for first and foremost in halves. Not saying I’m sold on him at hooker. Tbh, I don’t know what his best position is at this point. I agree with Billy that his utility value is his best attribute atm.

What I do know is signing Pearce has a higher upside than what playing Watson at hooker has downside, if that makes sense. IMO it’s well worth it. I think Pearce would instantly have us competing for the top 8, if not in the top 8. That’s how big of a signing I think he would be. I think Watson would make a nice hooker too, and Levi doesn’t have the track record of being an 80 minute hooker. He and Watson would make a great rotation, and that position is so important in today’s game. Yes Watson’s got a great running game which can be more utilised at five-eighth or fullback, but something I look for in a hooker is someone who’s attacking and has a strong running game around the ruck which can really get you rolling and on the front foot.

At the end of the day, I’m not overlooking Pearce because Watson’s not the perfect hooker. Tbh, I don’t think he’s the perfect five-eighth either. I think he could play any position along the spine admirably.

So you wouldn’t pursue Pearce because Watson is wasted at hooker?

I like the Watson signing, but I’m not 100% sold on him at five-eighth. He doesn’t seem like a natural ball player, and that’s generally what I look for first and foremost in halves. Not saying I’m sold on him at hooker. Tbh, I don’t know what his best position is at this point. I agree with Billy that his utility value is his best attribute atm.

What I do know is signing Pearce has a higher upside than what playing Watson at hooker has downside, if that makes sense. IMO it’s well worth it. I think Pearce would instantly have us competing for the top 8, if not in the top 8. That’s how big of a signing I think he would be. I think Watson would make a nice hooker too, and Levi doesn’t have the track record of being an 80 minute hooker. He and Watson would make a great rotation, and that position is so important in today’s game. Yes Watson’s got a great running game which can be more utilised at five-eighth or fullback, but something I look for in a hooker is someone who’s attacking and has a strong running game around the ruck which can really get you rolling and on the front foot.

At the end of the day, I’m not overlooking Pearce because Watson’s not the perfect hooker. Tbh, I don’t think he’s the perfect five-eighth either. I think he could play any position along the spine admirably.
Watson has shown good ball-playing ability at five eighth. He shows that on his Youtube highlights.

I don't see a lot of upside signing Pearce. He's a quality club player in regular season games that constantly goes missing on the big stage. Ultimately, it could very well force Lamb out of the club who really stood up at the end of the year and showed poise for a young player. I just think we're absolutely fine in the halves and should be bolstering other positions in our squad that are needed

Back