Lachlan Fitzgibbon re-signs until the end of 2021

Hard-working Fitzgibbon inks new deal

Newcastle Knights
Mon 5 Nov 2018, 03:38 PM

Lachlan Fitzgibbon has re-signed with the nib Newcastle Knights until at least the end of 2021.

The hard-working backrower has upgraded his contract for 2019 and extended for a further two seasons.

Knights CEO Philip Gardner believes the retention of the local product is a key move for the Club's health.

"Lachlan is a fantastic player and above all else, a quality young man," Mr Gardner said.

"Lachlan is a Newcastle product and represents what the Club is about. He's dedicated, hardworking, selfless and puts the team first.

"He's extended with us until 2021, at which time we hope he will be a State of Origin backrower.

"Having secured Lachlan, we have taking a big step forward to ensuring the Knights are on track for a successful future."

Having progressed through the Knights system, Fitzgibbon made his NRL debut in 2015 but solidified himself as a starting first grader last season following a strong finish to 2017.

According to Knights Coach Nathan Brown, the new deal is a reward for the 24-year-old's dedication to not only improving himself but the team.

"Lachy is a great kid," Brown said.

"He's an improving player and one we're very happy to have as part of our long-term future."

A hard worker who runs fearless lines, Fitzgibbon finished last season with nine tries, the second highest for the team.

Fitzgibbon, who made 21 appearances for the Club in 2018, is thrilled to have his future secured.

"I love this Club and the town, so to re-sign for another few years is incredible," Fitzgibbon said.

"I feel like the playing group we have here are a great bunch of blokes and we're building nicely towards some bright years.

"Knowing that I'll be part of that is very exciting."

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/11/05/hard-working-fitzgibbon-inks-new-deal/

Although pretty much a formality, it's still fantastic news.

A 2 year extension seems smart from Fitzy's side, if he keeps improving at the rate he has been, maybe breaking into a rep squad, the next contract could be a big one.

i wonder which side pushed the 2yrs, id have thought the club would of liked to of tied him up for 3 or 4 years

I think Lachy's manager would have been the fly in the ointment. He is capable of making State of Convenience with his worth going up considerably.

As Gordie said some years ago on Foxtel 'I wonder if his Mom conceived in Queensland so he could qualify for the maroons?'

Clint Newton deserves a bit of credit.
Clint spent half a season yelling at Fitz to stop being a **** and just play football.
Never saw anyone spend as much time in the sin bin as Fitz in reserve grade - and he deserved every minute of it - he was such a ****.

Clint Newton deserves a bit of credit.
Clint spent half a season yelling at Fitz to stop being a **** and just play football.
Never saw anyone spend as much time in the sin bin as Fitz in reserve grade - and he deserved every minute of it - he was such a ****.
I wonder if Brown had anything to do with his improvement?
Just saying........

Was scoring the same tries off Lamb last yr. His threat diminished toward the middle and end of season. Whoever's choice it was, 2 yr contract is about right...he took long enough to get to 1st grade standard now he's gotta maintain it.

Potentially. Wonder if he would be as good attacking wise if Ponga wasnt here tho?

A good line running backrower needs to be utilized by a good playmaker. Otherwise they're just another body on the field. I think Hess might have suffered a bit of this lately. With Pearce & Ponga, Fitzy will be in heaven.

Fitz was scoring a lot of tries by getting put through gaps by Lamb in under 20s in 2014. He didn't learn it suddenly this year.

I think its the lines he runs and the work he does because he was doing it and scoring with Lamb at the end of 2017 the same as he did with Ponga in 2918. I wrote 2918 accidently and then started imagining what our great game will be like in 900 years , The way the game is going they will probably all be wearing Michelin Man suits so no one gets hurt . Ah well I guess I better hang around and find out hey lol.

I have no doubt fitzy would be as good if we had a lamb cogger halves pairing this year but the question is would he be getting tries as consistently if they where our halves? Pearce and ponga have got him to another level i feel and hopefully he can keep it up and force himself into a NSW jersey next year

I have no doubt fitzy would be as good if we had a lamb cogger halves pairing this year but the question is would he be getting tries as consistently if they where our halves?

Well the thing that made him so good was those runs at the line crashing through for a try. His game outside of that isn't anything special. Lamb had a good combo going with him & Cogger loves a short ball too so it wouldn't have been a massive gap behind. I reckon those two wouldn't have gone so bad if they were paired up, allowing them to play their natural roles, Lamb as dominant half & Cogger as second fiddle support player. Just unfortunate for them we happened to come across a way better spine in Ponga, Pearce & Watson.

Back