Knights sign Kurt Mann on a 3 year deal

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by josh2010, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Battler

Battler Robbie O'Davis

Agree, $400k p.a. for two years in our cap is perfect I reckon. I was one of a few on here who would have had Josh Morris for a couple of years, and likewise I'd have Jennings. Defensively sound, experienced and plays in a position that we have been pretty woeful at tbh.

Joey1245 likes this.
  2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Perfect?

Punch him Skippy, punch him hard!!!!!!!

3. Battler

Battler Robbie O'Davis

4. Jaybro

Jaybro Keith Beauchamp

Does anyone else think we've hit the panic button with signings??

A couple of weeks ago we were holding our money for marquee signings and negotiating with TPJ, Lodge, Luke and Segeyaro. Now we're going to help Parramatta out by taking Jennings off their hands and prying Kurt Mann out of his contract to play hooker :no::no::no:

Don't like to be negative nelly over here but I'm concerned

5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

As soon as we lost Mooney it’s gone downhill. Was always gonna happen.

Jaybro likes this.
  6. knightime

knightime Peter Malcolm

I don't think there's a need to panic. Mooney is gone but Pezet seems to have a good eye with juniors and surely he will know a decent prospect when he sees one. Canavan may now also have some input into recruiting.

Because of our good salary cap position, we are linked to virtually every player off-contract. While we might be showing interest, the fact we haven't been signing anyone and everyone suggests that the Club is biding its time for the right players and doing due diligence for each signing.

Admittedly, I panicked last year that we were running out of time to put together a quality side and had multiple rejections from prospective recruits. Some time after, we had a wave of good signings. For mine, I think the Club knows playing the patient game can reap dividends (although it is risky).

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    A concerning comment for me is his lack of give a stuff after he said he'd happily play reserve grade if it meant his brother playing first grade, Aku anyone?

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    It's interesting mate, taking a wait and see approach, hoping we've offered Seg a decent deal and he comes aboard. Being a benchie on shortish minutes his not going to go for high $.

9. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Not me, we are a couple of pieces away from being a definite top 8 team and depending on how things go with said team even better then that, so it doesn't surprise me we are in the player market considering that having Sione in the Centre isn't really an option anymore. Of course come January/Februrary Moga could be 100% fit and ready to go but you still need insurance one way or another.
    As others have mentioned we've been linked to players without a shred of evidence to show for it because of the media so there is that to consider too.

10. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

There's an article that say's Parramatta are waiting for certain domino's to fall so that they can fit Hayne in they're salary cap.
    Sounds like they are trying to offload players like Jennings and French so they can keep Hayne lol.

packo likes this.
  11. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Might just be speculation or a guess on someone's part, but I heard that Woolf will be coach, Brown will be head of football and recruiting guy (basically Mooney's old job), Canavan will be CEO, Gardiner will step back from the Knights but keep control of the centre of excellence build, and Pezet will go back to his old job. Also told that Brown is doing the recruiting already and Pezet is just the figurehead for now. Brown's recent trip to NZ was him doing the recruiting job.

Tasgirl likes this.
  12. Wobbles

Wobbles Shane Mackley

That's an intriguing scenario, wonder how that affects Brown's "evergreen" contract?

Lefty likes this.
  13. Joey1245

Joey1245 Dairi Kovae

K
    kinda understand what your saying but I still think these are mostly spot fillers think they are still being patient and seeing what comes out

14. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

Make sense.
    Because when Brown signed his contract they were talking about his job being bigger then the coaching role and his performance based incentives were around development and the community.

15. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

16. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite content with signing Mann, but as a hooker? I’d much rather Segeyaro and I think Mann would be the perfect fallback option if Ponga/Watson/Pearce/Lino go down. Mann/Lino halves pairing in reserves wouldn’t be too bad either.

Wobbles, Defender1 and Lefty like this.
  17. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Still baffled the team is trying to re-sign, empty stats on a bad team are always going to get found out. 100% made them worse this year.
    If it wasn't for bad signings like Foran and Jack Bird you could argue Hayne has had the most negative impact on the Eels out of any new recruit.

18. knightime

knightime Peter Malcolm

I don’t think Hayne was too bad this year. The Eels’ woes are bigger than just him. Evans, Moses etc all were intended to be key parts and failed to fire.

I’d say Foran is the worst signing this year. Injury-prone, overrated and signed for $1mil for a team currently being crushed by the salary cap.

Joshhh likes this.
  19. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Mann could probably do a short stint at hooker, but long minutes would be a pipe dream.
    Brown's obsession with buying and cutting guys he thinks could play hooker is getting to be almost comical now - guys like Bhana, Hazard, Pearsall, Feeney, Yates - nothing about those guys makes you think they could play hooker - but they've all spent time training there, had 10 minutes in the job, and been shown the door.
    If I were Mann I'd be thinking "hooker at Newcastle sounds like a career ending move".

20. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Those guys were all hungry and eager before they got there. Seems like he's continued to adopt the Milford training attitude (it could be argued who started it) of 'if you have to do ten pushups you can do eight if no one is looking' and it's rubbed off on the team. Having Gutherson never really healthy and coming back wasn't ideal either. Nor was it ideal to warm up in the heat at Brookvale before a game...