Knights Hall of Fame

fj182

Paul Rauhihi
Unsurprisingly, the list features a number of players from the Knights’ 1997 and 2001 premiership winning teams.The Knights all-time leading point-scorer Andrew Johns and his brother Matthew both made the cut, while former captain Paul Harragon also features.Robbie O’Davis, Adam MacDougall and Mark Hughes have been rewarded for their efforts as dual-premiership winning members of the Knights’ backline with their selection in the group.The scorer of the match-winning try in the 1997 Grand Final Darren Albert is in the mix and so to is 216-game veteran Steve Simpson.Stalwarts from the Club’s inaugural season in 1988 who have made the Top 25 include the likes of Tony Butterfield, Mark Glanville, Tony Kemp, Robbie McCormack and Sam Stewart.A number of other famous Novocastrians who have contributed greatly to the region’s rich rugby league culture have also been selected. The full list is:Darren Albert
Tony Butterfield
Matt Gidley
Marc Glanville
Ashley Gordon
Michael Hagan
Paul Harragon
Mark Hughes
Andrew Johns
Matthew Johns
Tony Kemp
Ben Kennedy
Paul Marquet
Adam MacDougall
Robbie McCormack
Allan McMahon
Adam Muir
Robbie O'Davis
Bill Peden
Malcolm Reilly
Mark Sargent
John Schuster
Steve Simpson
Sam Stewart
Robbie Tew
The selection panel of Michael Hill, Leigh Maughan, Alan Bell, Mike Rabbitt and Brett Keeble will reduce the list to a top 10 to be announced on Friday, March 16 at the Knights game against the Brisbane Broncos.The Knights will hold a Hall of Fame and 25 year anniversary dinner on April 4 where the founding four members will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.The four inductees will then be presented to the crowd at the Knights’ round six clash with the Parramatta Eels, the Club's first opponent 25 years ago.Each year, the selection panel will nominate up to two more candidates to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Players and coaches must be retired to be eligible.The Hall of Fame is supported by the Newcastle Herald and NBN.

copied from the knights official website

John Schuster. Who remembers the "Schu Schu Schu" roar everytime he touched the ball. I think he's forgotten when we say we've never signed any/many high profile players. A starting center for the All Blacks changing codes was high profile. Great goal kicker as well.

True, he would have been our biggest profile signing before the current crop. Very good point!!!

Personally surprised Mad Dog and Ben Kennedy missed the cut but it was always going to be tough to pick the top ten. The top four perhaps Joey, The Chief, Robbie O and Matt Gidley.

Would it be true that voting for the top 10 through the Newcastle Herald. People such as myself only really know of an impact players had from the 2000s onwards. Therefore how many people of the 1990's are going to jump online to vote?

And I didn't see a lot of Matty Johns but would people have Reilly and Sam Stewart ahead of him?

Well going off the comments you get on the hearld there seems to be a large portion of people who were prorably old enough to remember the knights entering the comp. So i would say there a a decent number of epople who remember the 90's.

However, given the nominations are viewer votes, its a popularity contest and as such the most popular players where bound to be picked. As they have

Stewert no, Reilly Yes. I would have had Rielly in dront of Hagan or Simpson though.

Joey and the Chief are the only ones guaranteed spots in the top 4. Gidley is in with a good chance along with Robbie, Hagan and Butterfield.

It's a matter of opinion but Reilly in front of Hagen ? The signing of Hagen as a player seen the team improve dramatically. He captained the side and I can't ever remember him missing a game. Like Reilly he coached the side to a Grand Final victory.Like Reilly the premiership was achieved as the under dog. I think Hagen is very under rated by the Knights faithful.

The top 25 was judged by the voting on the website, but the top ten was chosen from that by the panel - that's my understanding.

I'm just going by the top four people listed here and on the Newcastle Herald website when the idea was first announced. Sam Stewart was in a heap of the top fours. Reilly was in loads too, but not as many a Stewart as far as I could see.

He's out only Knights fulltime captain who's not on the list and isn't still playing ... and he played for NZ and Rest of the World while with us. Did you see him play much Novocastrian90? I'm with Alicia, he was before my time, but I have seen a few tapes of our 1988 matches and he was quite inspiring.

Hagan is the only other one I didn't see too much of, although I saw our semi final run in 1992. I spose I didn't see Sargent at his absolute peak either, given he won player of the year in 1990.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Oh and I think Matthew Johns deserves his spot for sure ... he used to seem like such a humble guy when playing for us, god knows what happened.

It was sad to see Joey and Matt not there last night to go around the field with the others of the top 10, before the match. You'd think channel 9 could have put Joey on the Knights game, even just for this occassion.

Tonight they are announcing the inductees and the first man inducted is:

Paul 'The Chief' Harragon

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Michael Hagan has been announced as Inductee #2

Back