Simon Mannering (NZ Warriors)
Ben Matulino (NZ Warriors)
Manu Mau (Parramatta Eels)
Sam McKendry (Penrith Panthers)
Tim Simona (Wests Tigers)
Martin Taupau (Wests Tigers)
Bodene Thompson (NZ Warriors)
Dean Whare (Penrith Panthers)

No Levi, unsurprisingly, but some insisted he'd be there!

Marshall overlooked for Kiwis selection

Fri 18 Sep, 2015, 10:27am

By Daniel Gilhooly, AAP

Coach Stephen Kearney insists the Test door hasn't closed on Benji Marshall, despite the former captain's latest omission from the Kiwis.

Not for the first time, Kearney has overlooked the 30-year-old playmaker, confirming on Friday he wants to develop depth at halfback on New Zealand's three-Test tour of England in November.

Marshall's name was missing when Kearney updated his wider training squad, adding St George Illawarra wing Jason Nightingale and South Sydney pair Issac Luke and Bryson Goodwin following those teams' elimination from the NRL play-offs.

Kearney says 27-Test veteran Marshall wanted to know straight away if it was the end of road when delivered the bad news on Wednesday.

"I told him 'definitely not'," Kearney said.

"If he's got the desire to still want to play for New Zealand, then he will go into the mix with everyone else next year.

"This gives us an opportunity to build some depth in that position. By giving some younger guys some Test match footy in that position, I think that's a positive for us."

Kearney's desire for depth was fuelled by the broken ankle suffered by Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson two months ago.

Warriors utility Tuimoala Lolohea, 20, or rising Broncos half Kodi Nikorima, 21, is likely to partner Kieran Foran in the halves against England. Lolohea has already been included in the 18-strong wider squad.

It is unclear if Marshall would have been fit to tour after he limped out of the Dragons' golden-point loss to the Bulldogs in Sydney last Saturday.

However, Kearney says he wouldn't have been picked either way, extending his Test absence since 2012, a period which includes a failed rugby union stint with the Blues.

Kearney says he was happy with Marshall's form for the Dragons.

Nightingale and Luke were part of this year's Anzac Test win over Australia while centre Goodwin's last appearance was the heavy World Cup final loss to the Kangaroos in 2013.

A 23-strong touring side will be announced on October 4, less than three weeks out from their sole warm-up game against Leeds.

KIWIS SQUAD (UPDATED)

Lewis Brown (Penrith Panthers)
Manaia Cherrington (Wests Tigers)
Kieran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles)
Bryson Goodwin (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Peta Hiku (Manly Sea Eagles)
Solomone Kata (NZ Warriors)
Tuimoala Lolohea (NZ Warriors)
Issac Luke (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Manu Ma'u (Parramatta Eels)
Jason Nightingale (St George Dragons)
Elijah Taylor (Penrith Panthers)

http://www.nrl.com/marshall-overlooked-for-kiwis-selection/tabid/10874/newsid/89911/default.aspx

Te Maire Martin, Curtis Rona, Greg Eastwood and Sosaia Feki have been added to the squad

KIWIS SQUAD (UPDATED)

Gerard Beale (Cronulla Sharks)
Greg Eastwood (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Sosaia Feki (Cronulla Sharks)
Kieran Foran (Manly Sea Eagles)
Te Maire Martin (Wests Tigers)
Curtis Rona (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Foran has been ruled out, which means the Kiwis will probably be fielding a halves pairing of Tuimoala Lolohea & Kodi Nikorima. Forward pack is extremely strong though & backs are alright too.

Matt McIlwrick, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Isaac Liu, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Moa, Jesse Bromwich, Tohu Harris and Kevin Proctor all added to the squad

Keiran Foran out due an elbow injury

Final 23 man squad to be finalized on October 8th

KIWIS SQUAD (UPDATED)

Gerard Beale (Cronulla Sharks)
Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
Greg Eastwood (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Sosaia Feki (Cronulla Sharks)
Tohu Harris (Melbourne Storm)
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters)
Isaac Liu (Sydney Roosters)
Te Maire Martin (Wests Tigers)
Matt McIlwrick (Sydney Roosters)
Sam Moa (Sydney Roosters)
Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm)
Curtis Rona (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Sio Siua Taukeiaho (Sydney Roosters)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Sydney Roosters)

What a disaster it was not picking Benji now Foran is out. Benji had put off his surgery and would have toured if selected, but when he wasn't included he had the surgery. :(

What a disaster it was not picking Benji now Foran is out. Benji had put off his surgery and would have toured if selected, but when he wasn't included he had the surgery. :(

Yeah I can understand how Kearney wants to develop someone new but to not even have Benji in the train on squad is a bit dumb. Otherwise he would be there right now ready to go. Kearney keeps making excuses why he doesn't include Benji but it seems more like he won't pick him no matter what the situation is.

Cowboys' Taumalolo in doubt for Kiwis tour

Mon 05 Oct, 2015, 4:24pm
Matt Encarnacion, AAP

North Queensland premiership forward Jason Taumalolo has revealed he is in doubt for New Zealand's rugby league tour of Great Britain due to a knee problem.

Despite pumping out a team-high 165 metres to help claim the club's inaugural grand final win against Brisbane on Sunday night, Taumalolo said later he could face post-season surgery.

Taumalolo suffered the injury in round eight, forcing him to miss two games as well as the Kiwis' mid-season Test win over Australia before playing through the pain in the back half of the year.

The 22-year-old said he would meet with Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney and the North Queensland club's medical staff to discuss the best course of action.

"I obviously came back from it earlier on in the year but I'm thinking about getting a scope (arthroscopic surgery) on it to clear it out," Taumalolo told AAP.

"There's still some fragments off the bone and the tendon's still a bit how's it going."

However the hard-running big man remained hopeful of taking part in three-match series against England, beginning on October 23.

"I'll catch up with Mooks (Kearney) this week to have a chat and see how we go for the tour.

"I'm hoping I can pass medicals next week," Taumalolo said.

"Any time I get an opportunity to pull on the black and white jersey, I'm more than happy to take it.

"I want to play for New Zealand."

Despite his knee problem, Taumalolo was one of the Cowboys' best in his three separate stints on the field.

He spurned a lucrative deal from the Warriors earlier in the year to win a premiership in Townsville, and he predicted more success for the relatively youthful side.

Skipper Johnathan Thurston is the only player over the age of 30, and the entire 17 will return to the fold next season.

Asked whether the Cowboys had an opportunity to create a modern-day dynasty, Taumalolo said: "Definitely.

"Obviously Johnno's hitting the back end of his career but we've got young players around him like Michael Morgan, Jake Granville and Kyle Feldt."

Should Taumalolo be ruled out of the Kiwis' tour, he joins a lengthy list of high-profile stars to miss trip, including key men Shaun Johnson and Kieran Foran.

http://www.nrl.com/cowboys-taumalolo-in-doubt-for-kiwis-tour/tabid/10874/newsid/90422/default.aspx

This tour is looking like a disaster for the Kiwis, I must say. Shades of 2007 when most of our decent players were injured and we toured there for three tests and got pumped.

The Kiwis have finalized their 23 man squad, Adam Blair and Isaac Luke have been named co-captains

Squad

Gerard Beale (Sharks)
Adam Blair (Broncos) (c)
Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
Lewis Brown (Panthers)
Alex Glenn (Broncos)
Tohu Harris (Storm)
Peta Hiku (Sea Eagles
Jordan Kahu (Broncos)
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Roosters)
Tuimoala Lolohea (Warriors)
Isaac Liu (Roosters)
Issac Luke (Rabbitohs) (c)
Ben Matulino (Warriors)
Sam Moa (Roosters)
Jason Nightingale (Dragons)
Kodi Nikorima (Broncos)
Kevin Proctor (Storm)
Curtis Rona (Bulldogs)
Sio Siua Taukeiaho (Roosters)
Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Roosters)
Dean Whare (Panthers)

The England tour itinerary is:

Friday, October 23 v Leeds Rhinos @ Leeds
Sunday, November 1 v England @Hull
Saturday, November 7 v England @ London
Saturday, November 14 v England @ Wigan

http://www.nrl.com/kiwis-name-squad-for-england-tour/tabid/10874/newsid/90473/default.aspx

It's actually a lot stronger than it would have been a few years ago it the same amount/quality of players withdrew. Forwards are great, backs are pretty decent, halves - eep.

Disappointing Kenny-Dowall is there, it will be difficult to cheer for the team because of that.

Injured Taumalolo out of Kiwis tour

Sat 10 Oct, 2015, 10:00am
AAP

North Queensland star Jason Taumalolo was been ruled out of New Zealand's tour of England with the injury-hit Kiwis turning to a seventh uncapped player.

Wests Tigers back-up hooker Manaia Cherrington replaces the Cowboys battering ram, who has withdrawn with a knee complaint, two days after the 23-man squad was announced.

The 22-year-old was a key part of the Cowboys' side which claimed their maiden NRL premiership last weekend with a grand final win over Brisbane.

"Jason has had a wonderful year, but holding him out of this tour will probably benefit him and us long term," Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney said.

"We're confident we can cover his position from within the current squad and Manaia's addition will allow Lewis Brown to play more in his preferred second-row role."

Injury has robbed the Kiwis of a host of key player for the three-Test tour in November, including regular skipper Simon Mannering, Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Manu Vatuvei, Thomas Leuluai and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

Whangarei-born Cherrington, 21, was captain of the Junior Kiwis side which beat their Australian counterparts last year.

He made the first of his 11 first grade appearances for the Tigers in June and has been tipped as a long-term replacement for their veteran hooker Robbie Farah.

"We have many talented players coming through our programmes and into the NRL these days," Kearney said.

"Manaia is just one of those and I think he will be key contributor to Kiwis teams for many years to come."

KIWIS SQUAD:

Gerard Beale
Adam Blair (co-capt)
Jesse Bromwich
Lewis Brown
Manaia Cherrington
Alex Glenn
Tohu Harris
Peta Hiku
Jordan Kahu
Shaun Kenny-Dowall
Tuimoala Lolohea
Isaac Liu
Issac Luke (co-capt)
Ben Matulino
Sam Moa
Jason Nightingale
Kodi Nikorima
Kevin Proctor
Curtis Rona
Sio Siua Taukeiaho
Martin Taupau
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Dean Whare

http://www.nrl.com/injured-taumalolo-out-of-kiwis-tour/tabid/10874/newsid/90504/default.aspx

It's actually a lot stronger than it would have been a few years ago it the same amount/quality of players withdrew. Forwards are great, backs are pretty decent, halves - eep.

Disappointing Kenny-Dowall is there, it will be difficult to cheer for the team because of that.

Don't sweat it I think. Looking at all the players put together in a 17-man team, it looks one of the strongest Kiwi teams. I reckon they'll smash England, the forwards & the backs are all too good & the young halves will be able to play their expansive natural game off the back of it, rather than having a heap of pressure on them coming up against a team like Australia who would match their pack.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I expect:

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Dean Whare
4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
5. Curtis Rona
6. Tuimoala Lolohea
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Issac Luke (c)
10. Ben Matulino
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Tohu Harris
13. Adam Blair (c)

14. Lewis Brown
15. Martin Taupau
16. Alex Glenn
17. Sam Moa

I'd put my money and a lot of it on a england 3-0 whitewash. They have quality players all over the park these days. Gone are the days where they only have a forward pack with no backs.

I tend to agree. Hopefully England play Tompkins in the halves as has been mooted, that will set them back a bit.

There hasn't been a lot between the two sides in their last few clashes, and the series being played in England and the weaker Kiwi halves definitely plays into their hands.

Hope I'm wrong though!

England have named their squad

John Bateman - Wigan Warriors
Joe Burgess - Wigan Warriors
Thomas Burgess - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Mike Cooper - St George Illawarra Dragons
Leroy Cudjoe - Huddersfield Giants
Ben Currie - Warrington Wolves
Liam Farrell - Wigan Warriors
Brett Ferres - Huddersfield Giants
Luke Gale - Castleford Tigers
James Graham - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Ryan Hall - Leeds Rhinos
Zak Hardaker - Leeds Rhinos
Chris Hill - Warrington Wolves
Josh Hodgson - Canberra Raiders
Jermaine McGillvary - Huddersfield Giants
Sean O’Loughlin - Wigan Warriors (c)
James Roby - St Helens
Matty Smith - Wigan Warriors
Sam Tomkins - New Zealand Warriors
Kallum Watkins - Leeds Rhinos
Ben Westwood - Warrington Wolves
Elliot Whitehead - Catalans Dragons
Gareth Widdop - St George Illawarra Dragons
George Williams - Wigan Warriors

http://www.nrl.com/england-squad-named-for-nz-series/tabid/10874/newsid/90510/default.aspx

I tend to agree. Hopefully England play Tompkins in the halves as has been mooted, that will set them back a bit.

There hasn't been a lot between the two sides in their last few clashes, and the series being played in England and the weaker Kiwi halves definitely plays into their hands.

Hope I'm wrong though!

I disagree, england in my opinion will be stronger if Tomkins plays in the halves which would allow Hardaker to play fullback. He is top class, I rate that guy highly.

Hardaker at fullback would obviously be an improvement, I can't see Tomkins getting anywhere near the 1.

Back