Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

This, Coaches do not have endless rope and I can see some questions being asked if we are down the bottom 1/4 of the table next year.

At the start of the year we were saying we would be happy with a finish of around 10th just outside the 8. But that 10th was of the belief we were within reach of the 8, we finished 6 wins out of the 8 which is a big margin really.

2017 - 6 wins outside the 8 would be equal second last.
    2016 - 6 wins outside 8 was second last outright.
    2015 - last
    2014 - second last.

This season we were saved by the Cowboys and Eels having horror years, and the Sea Eagles sh!tting the bed.

A performance like this year again and Brown is definitely in the line of fire.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    I think it’s coaching suicide putting Ponga in the front line of defence. Might as well keep him in fullback for defence and 5/8th in attack if you want him closer to the ball.

ASJ82 likes this.
  3. Damo Levy

Damo Levy Gavin Hanrahan

That’s a very glass half empty comment.

There were positives this year too.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Pearce being out for so long contributes to it more than anything. Regardless, we've been through that now so we can identify the problem & try to fix it. It's unacceptable to fall back to wooden spoon levels like we did at times this year. I think the expectation from everyone now is make the finals in 2019 or Brown's time is up.

5. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

I call it realistic. We can look at where we finished on the table and be happy we didn't finish last and that is true. I am happy with that, but, I don't just look at where we finished in comparison to the other struggling clubs. It is also important to compare ourselves to the clubs that are getting it done, the clubs up where we want to be and with that perspective, we did not go well at all.

Brown has abandoned his running 5/8 idea and is now moving to a two genuine halves gameplan.

Why is he doing this do you think? I think it is because he knows he has a squad that can make the semi's, and if we gel, even push deeper in to the finals. But not with what we churned out last season.

danknights likes this.
  6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Ponga will be a brilliant running 5/8.
    That he can be an organiser, can kick and can defend like a forward doesn't mean he won't also be the most dangerous ball runner we have.

Wobbles likes this.
  7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Yes, but of Watson he didn't expect any kicking game, and playmaking, he expected Pearce to carry all of that responsibility himself.

I see moving Ponga to the 5/8 role is a move away from that thinking.

8. Joshhh

I reckon he just wants to get Ponga more into the action & have his hands on the ball constantly. Nothing I've seen has indicated that Brown wasn't happy with Watson, it's just Ponga is a superstar & getting him with the ball in his hands more often is our best chance of a premiership.

9. Joel

Joel Touche...

This could/should be the Australian halves pairing.

10. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    I will walk to Perth and back naked if that becomes the Australian halves pairing.

11. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

No matter how it is played, Pearce, Ponga, Watson or Pearce Watson Ponga it's all good just give us 20 rounds with them together and it will be great.

12. Joel

Joel Touche...

Who would you prefer? After next year I wouldn't call it unlikely.

13. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Morgan, Munster, Cleary will all have something to say about that halves pairing long term.

14. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The Toohey article says the decision was made some time ago, presumably about the time he was actually picked at 5/8 for the first time.
    All I can think of to explain them keeping it under wraps would be that they thought he might have a chance to be picked in a rep side at fullback - either the PMs 13 or Australia - and now that he has had ankle surgery they don't think he'll be ready so might as well say he is moving positions.
    It is the right time to move him. He is a very quick learner, as he showed last pre season, and as he showed time and again during the season when he seemed to pick up new skills every week. A full off season working with Pearce on playmaking skills should see dramatic improvements in his skills.
    I expect to see him come out next year with a whole new range of kicks and the freedom to decide when and where he wants to take on the line - basically I expect him to pick out the weak defenders and give them hell, wherever they are on the field.

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Ponga, just the name makes me happy.

Damo Levy and Joshhh like this.
  16. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dean Carney

Morgan!
    You're always good for a laugh CBM!

17. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    The halfback that took a supposed one man team to a grand final with half the side including himself all bunged up? Plus an incumbent Australian rep?

Something neither of Ponga or Pearce have yet to achieved.

18. Joshhh

On merit Pearce should be in contention, he's one of the better halfbacks, but doubt he'll ever be picked due to his Origin history. Ponga will probably be picked as a fullback, even if he's playing in the halves here.

Munster, Morgan, Maloney, Cleary are/will be the incumbents though so will take some in form players to dislodge that lot. If Ponga was NSW it would be a better chance because they might get picked together in the halves & if they won a series, would be every chance of a Kangaroos pairing.

19. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Morgan had 1 brillant season and a couple of decent seasons, be interesting to see how he goes next year.

20. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Try 4 brilliant seasons and one injury interrupted/ending season in the last 5 years.