Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. nunnsy

nunnsy Charlie McAlister

Well I'm happy the cowboys didn't offer him more or maybe he wouldn't be here or would have cost us more. Hope the cowboys find some form soon.Just not this weekend.

Wobbles likes this.
  2. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I don't blame the Cowboys monetary-wise. 600k is a massive gamble that only the Knights really could take. I just think it was a bit foolish to completely commit to the idea that Coote was the fullback going forward, especially if it meant they could keep Ponga otherwise. Big money & a fullback position at Newcastle would be hard to not accept, but I think the Cowboys would have a fighting chance if they offered fullback & a bit less money than the Knights to stay, given that young kids usually like to stay at their club & it would mean he wouldn't have to relocate his whole family to another state while also getting to play NRL at his favourite position, the Cowboys also recent premiership winners & grand finalists, while the Knights wooden spooners.

3. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Holmes would be a huge signing. Probably the best winger in the comp and is quickly becoming one of the best fullbacks. Steps up for the big games too.

Don’t know about Oates. Wants to play in the back row but isn’t good enough. If you can get him for winger money than you’re going alright.

4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Think Oates could be good no matter where he plays, big, strong, fast, Bennett happy to have him on wing to make those strong relieving runs from own area, think given the chance could be anything, unfortunately from our point of view we don't really need wingers or second rowers but he would add to our squad.

5. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Good winger, good second rower
    Surely would be a gun in the middle of those two spots... aka centre

Wobbles, packo and Frank McWilliams like this.
  6. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They had just won the comp and made a qualifying final with Coote.

7. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Then another grand final last year... it’s all easy to say in hindsight now but no team featuring in 2 grand finals and a prelim in a 3 year span is going to chuck big money at their 18 year old prodigy ahead of players who need extending and upgrading that got them to those finals.

Like I said it’s very similar to how we got JT in the first place from the Dogs. They picked the halves that got them all that success from 2002/04 albeit in a illegally formed team.

8. Wobbles

Wobbles Steve Crowe

Well said, almost nobody would have predicted the slump this year. On paper it was a pretty sensible strategy, although hindsight is a b*tch when you find yourself facing a wooden spoon.
    Swapping Holmes for Coote should at least take away some of the sting

9. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

I wonder how the dogs supporters and club feel about losing JT at a young age now that he is one of the greats of the game.

Ponga could very well be regarded by the end of his career as one of the greats. Is that worth losing a Coote? or a Hess?

I think the dogs would jump in their way back machine and do everything they can to keep JT there.

10. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Coote was never here to hold back Ponga. Don’t think Coote was ever going to stay at fullback after this current contract with Ponga hopefully taking over in 2019/2020 if he stayed. Coote was likely heading towards a finish in the halves but we now have TMM and Clifford so Coote is being moved on.

Ponga wanted a earlier start and left good on him for backing himself.

Hess has been poo this year but so do most kids playing the full 80 week in week out for the first time in the forwards. He will come good and be a devastating edge forward.

11. R_A

R_A Clint Newton

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    In regards to Oates there is some debate that he wants more money as he sees himself as a backrower in the not too distant future and I think he has to wait till August to sort out his future whether that is with the Broncos or not because (Like TPJ) he has a management dispute. Not sure if the Cowboys can or want to fork out that kind of cash if Holmes is the #1 target. No one is going to pay Oates more money to play in the wing now even if he transitions into the backrow later on.

I am hoping that Matt Scott contract extension isn't too big either although it was clearly a loyalty extension.

Anyway we have been good enough with Pearce back and his kicking game and direction in general so I hope Ponga adds that extra dimension to our attack like it was before Pearce went down.

12. krustykraz

krustykraz Shane Mackley

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

14. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Doesn't look like they are considering moving him to 5/8 any time soon if they are seriously chasing Williams. Watson to bench utility role and Ponga to remain fullback.

15. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

U can ask all day, the kid doesnt want the role...

Until he's keen just build the team around him.

Case closed.

16. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

17. slotmachine

Joey had lamb playing 5/8th next to Pearce and we all saw how that turned out.

18. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Can't expect new combinations to click straight away slots. C'mon you know better.

19. slotmachine

Lol, he put in an all time **** show performance against the dragons, got saved by his teammates somehow, repeated the dose against the storm and hasn't been sighted since.

20. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Doesn't mean he isn't a skillful player. I agree his been balls but his role as a playmaker is trying to do what Mitch does. He can't. Lamb is a sit back player. Mitch is an in the line player.