Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. EASBay17

EASBay17 Lenny Beckett

I dont think it would be worth risking it against parramatta if pearce is back id go
    1 watson
    6 lamb
    7 pearce
    and give him the extra week off

2. Joey1245

Joey1245 Matt White

Yeh they used to have to go into camp anyway and do the rehab in camp but now clubs have more say and generally would keep them back as they trust there medical staff

3. Joey1245

Joey1245 Matt White

Also a very good option

4. Joey1245

Joey1245 Matt White

I have kinda been against it! But I actually really like Watson at fullback I would look at ponga to 5/8 but I also do t like risking a bigger defensive load on ponga

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Shane Christensen

Worst thing for mine about him injuring a hamstring is the effect it could have on his footwork.

One positive is his happy-go-lucky attitude, I suspect that if he has a good rehab it won't play on his mind as much as it would for most.

You'd think that'll take him out of contention for the Dally M as well, depending how strong he come back.

6. Joey1245

Joey1245 Matt White

Not necessarily as if he is back for parra he doesn’t miss a game? But if so he only misses one game!

7. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You blokes. Listed as 3-4 week injury and you have him playing against the Eels.

8. Wobbles

Wobbles Shane Christensen

Great story and show of class

Injured Ponga 'helping to make my daughter happy'

Newcastle Knights
    Mon 2 Jul 2018, 09:28 AM

Kalyn Ponga has built a connection with lovers of rugby league on the field but equally as important, he's created some strong bonds off it.

Social media was glittered with support for the injured nib Newcastle Knight after scans on Sunday revealed the No.1 has suffered a hamstring injury which has ruled him out of Origin III.

But it was a post from a proud parent which took over Twitter on Sunday evening.

Knights supporters Mat and Miquita Clarke shared a post about the special friendship their four-year-old Amaya and Ponga share which caught steam.

[​IMG]

Amaya is in her first season of rugby league, playing for Morpeth in the Maitland region and she has taken a liking to the Knights livewire.

The message, which was share by more than 400 people, is below.

"I just have to put this out there because sometimes I feel like there isn't enough 'good' rugby league stories out there," the post read.

"Over the course of this year, Amaya has develop (sic) quite the favourite player in Kalyn Ponga.

"From the first meeting with him back in January, (sic) and discovering that he wears headgear in games she was hooked, then at the Knights Junior members clinic during the last school holidays, Kalyn took the time to have a personal chat with Amaya and then sign her headgear after.

"Then at the in-store appearance at Rebel Sport in Glendale, Kalyn seemed genuinely excited to see Amaya and you couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She then started to create drawing (sic) about him playing for QLD and her for NSW. Amaya created a personal video and I sent it to him and he got straight back with a message for her.

[​IMG]

"Then today, he was sadly ruled out of Origin 3 and several weeks for the Knights due to injury, but instead of lamenting it, he was helping to make my daughter happy.

"Kalyn contacted me today, when he saw a photo of Amaya in her headgear where I had mentioned getting her some KP headgear from Steeden, offering to get her her own headgear for her birthday.

"I am seriously blown away by the lengths this young man has gone to, just to make her feel special.

"He is a credit to himself, his family and the club. Thank you so much Kalyn for your generosity and time. I can't wait to see her reaction when she gets her new headgear."

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/07/02/injured-ponga-helping-to-make-my-daughter-happy/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018
  9. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    How do you put a value on what the kid's worth off the field ?

10. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    We will take 10 of him please

Beaumont likes this.
  11. Beaumont

My Daughter is 15. Never watched a game of footy in her life. She now watches for 1 reason. I'm prepared to sacrifice Her if it means an extended stay for KP.

12. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Kade Snowden

You just can't buy that...but you can give credit to his parents and family for instilling and ingraining those traits into this fine young human being.

As a club we have been recently blessed with some very good hearted and honourable people including Ponga and Trent Hodkinson...:applause:

And on the other hand we have fans (Beaumont) who are prepared to offer their daughter as a human sacrifice to preserve a player in our squad :shrug:

13. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Pretty sure that daughter would have a house car boat and almost anything they want if married to Ponga.
    India rings a bell with sacrificing your daughter for money etc.
    Although im sure Beaumont was joking :no:

14. Ven

Ven Adrian Bubb

I'd be prepared for you to make that sacrifice to mate :lol:

88Knight4life, packo and Beaumont like this.
  15. Beaumont

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

88Knight4life and Still_Nutty like this.
  16. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Another sweet young innocent offered on the altar to the footie gods. Enough is enough Beaumont lol!:newcastle:

Beaumont likes this.
  17. Joey1245

Joey1245 Matt White

Looks like ponga set to miss parra with Watson back to full back and..............cogger to 5/8 :(

Ven likes this.
  18. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Ponga was always going to miss the Parramatta game...

I would be bringing Lamb back in for Cogger though. Cogs needs surgery and he’s absolutely abysmal to watch, no-brainer really.

19. Joey1245

Joey1245 Matt White

The
    sad face is more the fact that cogger is still playing for me he needs to go back to Reggie’s and learn some more lamb is who I’d have playing 5/8

20. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Can't understand why Cogger would be selected at 5/8 as half is his better position but that has been poor. Lamb to 5/8 to partner Pearce, if fit, or Watson at 5/8 with Meaney to f/b.
    For me it's a choice between Lamb and Meaney.