Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Brown is wrong. Sack him.

2. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Yes and Inglis and Hayne still go through massive patches of form. If you were trying to prove me wrong you used shocking examples.

He is a NYC graduate. He does have deficiencies in his game. He has played 1 FG game for the Knights and by all reports he was good. Not sure you can conclusively say all dificiencies have been sorted.

Fun fact... Go back to the signing thread of Kalyn and I say after he has signed with the Knights he could be best in the world in my opinion in a couple years time.

3. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You are wrong though,
    You put COULD be the best in the world.

What you should of written if you new what you where tslking about is, ( Ponga is the best in the world ) the end.
    Putting could in just made it your opinion which is the wrong view to have lol.
    You need to edit your posts before they are linked as examples later on.
    #lyfofkennypowers

4. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Ponga was MOTM for me! got a try, Was heavily involved in the attack and saved 2 or 3 certain tries. Absolute super star in the making imo!

Beaumont likes this.
  5. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Naaah, hes only an NYC grad. Hes gonna struggle for at least a year or so guys. Stop being dumb. He's gonna drop high balls and his defense needs time. He cant save tries with cannon ball tackles because he's only 19. WAKE UP IDIOTS. Kenny is WRONG for suggesting that Ponga will look like a solid and complete FB in his first year. That is despite all evidence to the contrary

6. 88Knight4life

All evidence? 300 minutes of fullback in the nrl?
    Maybe go back and read the posts you are having a brain hemorrhage over.

7. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    He has proper wanked himself silly after one game hasn't he. Poor guy will be exhausted if Ponga keeps it up over the first couple months.

88Knight4life likes this.
  8. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Im not referring to form. You blatantly claimed Ponga wouldnt be good enough in many areas of his game and would need time to learn and improve

That was an incorrect assumption. As evidenced by his first game for us, he is a complete player.

Much like Hayne and Slater, he is bascially a rep quality player from his teen years. Obviously his form will fluctuate lol, no one said it wouldn't. We arent discussing form. We are discussing ability. Please drop the strawman arguments

You were wrong about Ponga, im sorry

9. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Nah im good. Ponga proved you wrong already. He's got what it takes to handle the fullback roll like a true professional. You should congratulate the kid, not expect to see him fail. That's weird. No one is expecting him to blow teams off the park, although he may do from time to time, we had hoped that he would handle the roll from the get go.

Turns out he can handle the roll like a pro. And for the teams sake Im glad I correctly predicted that

10. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Theres nothing more to dicsuss guys. Please move on with your lives and allow this forum to move on also

11. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dean Carney

12. 88Knight4life

Hahahaha

13. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's unfortunate that a thread which was started to discuss Kalyn's round 1 performance has been derailed by petty arguments

Enough is enough, If the crap continues I'll close the thread

14. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dean Carney

All jokes aside, this kid is the real deal!

LEVR and 88Knight4life like this.
  15. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

They have given him a very simple role in attack, which seems to work for him well, but I look at Matt Cooper in under 20s and see how he backs up every break no matter where on the field, and wonder if we will miss having Ponga looking to do that.
    Being camped in the line and only having to get the ball from Pearce and work with a couple of other guys in attack makes his task easy, but having him pop up all over the place like most good fullbacks do might be nice too.
    Maybe his current role will change as he gets more experienced and the team gels more.

88Knight4life and rhugh89 like this.
  16. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    You are claiming all deficiencies have been fixed and he is going to be like that every week after 1 game Kenny. Can you not see how stupid that is?

If and I mean if he has a sub par game next week, drops a bomb and is out of position defusing a grubber or something like that am I then aloud to come on here and be like geez I told you so... He hasn't learnt anything this off-season... Yada yada yada. That's exactly what you're doing right now after ONE very good game.

If you don't see how stupid it is then you truly are a lost cause.

I do wish him well and believe he will be a very good player but I don't think he will be very good every game like you seem to think. He is only 19. There will be bad games and patches of form throughout his first full season of FG. You are in for a shock when that time comes.

88Knight4life and Joshhh like this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

I thought Ponga did pop up all over the place he was at F/B , dummy half , 5/8 just in Attack he was every where in Defence ...

Beaumont likes this.
  18. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He was on the left, pretty much between Fitz and Moga in attack. He went inside a few times and ran across field till he almost got on the right side once or twice, but in attack, especially near their line, he had his spot in the line.

Tim likes this.
  19. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I'm with Kenny on Ponga. There was plenty asking whether he had the attributes to be a NRL fullback. Doesn't matter if he fails the next 3 or next 5 games he showed on Friday night he's already a quality NRL custodian.

20. LEVR

LEVR Banned

You're on the wrong page mate. Who the hell disagrees with what you wrote above? Not me

For the billionth time, Ponga will definitely have fluctuations of form, that is not what was in question.

You and a few others had maintained all off season that he had technical deficiencies in his game that would take time to weed out, such as his ability to orgnaise the defensive line from the back, be vocal and command direction, his positional play, his ability to defuse bombs, his physicality. You had claimed that these things were going to be a problem and i was mad for thinking a 19 year old could walk straight into grade and get the job done. I had even referenced Dylan Edwards as an example of a player who had done just that

You were wrong about Ponga, he improved drastically over the off season and looks to have the roll covered quite well.

Absolutely no one has ever claimed his form couldn't slip... Stop it with your bs strawman arguments and address exactly what Ive said above otherwise please stop replying to me

You got it wrong. Just move on