Kalyn Ponga

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Aidos, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Meaning since Pearce got injured. I'd expect us to be winning about half our games if the team played well.

Defender1 likes this.
  2. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Sometimes backing up is get to where you can, distract the defence, possibly create a space, the man with the ball makes the choice. Like some on here we are scared of running one down in case it creates selection problems, trust me Brownie is not reading these posts and taking notes for team selections. Watson had a ordinary game, some might say he cost us the match, Lamb wasn't a star, had an ok match but don't run down one to justify the other, they can both play better and will.

Simon Templar likes this.
  3. Levil Kinevil

Levil Kinevil Slappin the bass mon

baker
    I never said either cost us the game. Just saying it’s not an easy pass to make

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Finding a way to blame Lamb for Watson's stuff up is forum gold.

It's a fair point though. Lamb should be aware that Watson can't kick, pass or set up a play and should cover for him as much as possible. I mean, Pearce can do his own job as well as Watson's. so why can't Lamb?

Rob likes this.
  5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

6. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Julian Bailey

Weird how Watson (who's braindead and can't pass or catch a football) has more try assists than Lamb in less games when that's supposed to be Brock's big strength.

Matty23 likes this.
  7. Billy

He is what he is.
    A very good ball runner with a good workrate - basically a fullback playing at 5/8.
    Wishing he is more than that isn't going to change facts.
    You can even make a case for a ball runner being the perfect partner for Pearce, and Lamb might be able to make it work if he can play like a SOO halfback.

8. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

IMO Lamb and Watson should be in this week but how many times did Lamb stop and get tackled with the ball last week . He had no idea what to do run or pass or kick had no step , a lot of the time last game he wasn't a halfback at all he was a passenger ...

9. Billy

Lamb was getting over run by the defence and sensibly decided to not pass to the opposition or deliver a hospital pass.
    I was looking at the same thing you were and thinking, very good decision. If he had thrown those passes and they had gone bad, as they mostly would have, you would be blaming him for that.

danknights likes this.
  10. Wobbles

Wobbles John Morris

Knights not overloading Ponga, says Brown
    Peter Jolly
    Wed 16 May 2018, 05:56 PM
    Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has defended Kalyn Ponga's workload in the opening 10 rounds of the Telstra Premiership season.

There have been media reports suggesting that the club is becoming too reliant on the star fullback, especially in Mitchell Pearce's absence.

Brown was quick to close that theory because of the many changes and inexperience of the halves this season.

"KP [Kaylyn Ponga] has had a very good year to date", Brown said.

"After 10 starting games he's apparently in line for Queensland. So, we are very comfortable with how he is going."

The Knights mentor believes that Brock Lamb has plenty of potential to improve, and while his defence has lifted in recent weeks, he needs to become more of a leader. "Brock's today far better ", Brown said. "His control and how dominant he was in his talking today is what we need as a team.

Titans v Knights - Round 11

"That's because we have very young halves with Mitchell [Pearce] gone.

"So, we do need to share the love a bit, but we do expect Brock to be the more dominant player. When Brock is more dominant that will then help KP [Ponga] and help Connor [Watson] as well."

Brown also clarified he does not believe Newcastle are an ill-disciplined side overall, but errors in judgement at key times have proved costly.

"I am certainly getting a bit harder on them," Brown said.

"I guess we just need to be a little harder on them for them to be a little harder on themselves. Look, they're great trainers and a great bunch of kids.

"So if we do go a bit harder on them they do except it very well."

While the task of taking on the Gold Coast Titans, after Souths and Penrith, may seem easier on paper, Brown does not want his team to become complacent.

He's quick to add the Titans are in a similar position to his own side in that they can be very hard to beat on any given day.

"If thy can produce something like they did last week against Melbourne I am sure they'll give themselves a very good chance," Brown said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/16/newcastle-knights-not-overloading-kalyn-ponga-says-nathan-brown/

11. cowboyman

cowboyman Mark Hughes

Hospitality
    I am convinced billy is related to Lamb. You can’t sinply be that one eyed for a player surely.

Watson is the clear better player. Proved it while at the stronger club the Roosters and has since backed it up while at the Knights. Lamb has put together one month of consistent footy in 2-3 years of FG.

12. Rob

Rob James Goulding

Lamb's a good footballer, not great and may never be. We've produced a lot of average halves since Joey retired. You could say it's because of Lamb that Fitz found his groove in 1st Gde. Could be cause of the slow service and the rushing defence on the weekend that he kept getting caught and in the end prob made the best decision in holding the ball. I bet KP was thankful for the try that Lamb laid on a platter for him.I

13. Rob

Rob James Goulding

Both happened when he was playing hooker didn't they?

14. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

15. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

One of them certainly happened when playing hooker.

16. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Danny Levi

Retired
    My critic is they dont know where each other are Watson and Lamb = fault but putting more pressure on Ponga than needed as a result need to talk more learn each others lines

17. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Well that's probably their first game together all year, I have confidence they'll figure it out. Promising words from Brown about Lamb knowing now he needs to be the dominant guy & he stepped up at training this week. I haven't been able to see a lot of football the last few weeks so I don't really know how Cogger went after his first game at halfback but sounds like he wasn't up to it unfortunately, Lamb will get there, just needs to get his confidence back, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  18. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

At some stage v Titans I would like to see front row of DanS, Levi & JSaf with Lamb, think that combination, size, Levi speed and Lamb with familiar bodies around him including Fitz &Barnett would be interesting, likely to happen around the 20-25 min mark.

19. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Watch out!

Billy's got the lynch mob suit out of the wardrobe.

20. listo

listo Mick Jenkins

I say just give them some time to play together & form a combination, something they’ve never had a chance to do.
    I doubt Billy would be defending Lamb so staunchly if there weren’t so many finger pointing rather than letting he & Watson grow together.

Simon Templar and Lefty like this.