John Grant to stand down as ARLC Chairman

rhugh89

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
ARLC Chairman will not seek reappointment

Wed 07 Jun, 2017, 10:20am
Media Release, NRL

Australian Rugby League Chairman John Grant today announced he will not stand for reappointment as a Commissioner at the end of his current term in February 2018.

Mr Grant was appointed as the inaugural Chairman of the Commission in February 2012 and will have completed his second term when he steps down.

"For some weeks I have deliberated on the changing face of the Commission post constitutional reform should that occur this year and the need for a succession plan for the role of Chairman," Mr Grant said.

"All well run organisations need time to properly plan for the future and my decision, at this time, assists this.

"In the months between now and February there is a lot to be done and I look forward to continuing to lead the game as Chairman and applying all my energy to dealing with the many opportunities and challenges that are before us."

http://www.nrl.com/arlc-chairman-will-not-seek-reappointment/tabid/10874/newsid/108635/default.aspx

Grant did a lot of good things.
He tried to spend more money on expanding the game and the international game, which meant he didn't give every penny to the 16 NRL clubs and players, which made him a lot of enemies.
He wants to stay on till after the WC, which is his baby really.
Grant came from Rugby Union and knows the reason that code is now thriving is because they spend money spreading the game, and he managed to do things like get PNG into the qld cup, get the pacific tests up and running, change the rules for players to represent emerging countries to make them more competitive etc etc.
He is paying the price for not giving all the money to club ceo's, so they can spend it on fighting each other and watching the code shrink.

I would have to disagree somewhat Billy.

In my opinion Country Rugby League has been absolutely decimated under the current regime. Spread the game locally in Australia before pouring into Pacific countries. Sure they need help but not at the grass roots of the game here.

Back