Jarrod Mullen suspended by the NRL after testing positive to steroids

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by relicorange94, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The sad thing about Mullen's career is that he never got the rep chances he deserved.
    We have had a very good chance to see just how good he is in the last few years with him playing alongside Hodko. Hodko came to us as NSW halfback with a big reputation, and Mullen was clearly better than him as a playmaker, as a defender, as an athlete, as a leader - basically better in every aspect of the game.
    NSW selectors should have picked him many times, and clearly ahead of Hodko.

Lefty likes this.
  2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    The problem was Billy after being christened 'the new Joey' he achieved State of Origin selection at much too young an age and experience. Remember Smithy asking the selectors not to pick him?

3. knights22

knights22 Adam Woolnough

Unfortunately we never got to see how good he was in the last few years, every time he'd build up some form, he'd injure himself again. Hell, with all the injuries the knights have, as well as him, you can't blame him for looking elsewhere.

4. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    I still can't believe he wasn't selected in 2013. He was playing out of his skin most of the year.

5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Don't think he ever showed the consistency to get select for Origin, but it would have been interesting to see how he went at a good club. I reckon he would have killed it at the Storm.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    He played one Origin slots, and then was injured,m and when he came back selectors went for the Noddy/Bird combination.

7. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I mean more than once. Knights fans are dreaming if they think he ever had the form to get another shot.

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    I query the leadership part to be frank.

9. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

Mullo really should have left Newcastle years ago, sometimes a players career stagnates and they need a change to help them take it to the next level. I feel this was the case for Mullo but he loved the club and never wanted to leave ......

I can't be mad at him .....

10. Billy

profile deleted today - sad day really.
    I assume he is now off the books.

Lefty, MisterLevy, Defender1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lefty

Lefty Richard Clarke

At least he would finally be off the payroll!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jarrod Mullen speaks about NRL drugs ban that ‘ruined my life’

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
    June 8, 2017 6:55am

BANNED Newcastle and former Origin star Jarrod Mullen has spoken for the first time about the injection from a rogue physiotherapist that has “ruined my life”.

Mullen insists he was naive — rather than a steroids cheat — for taking the needle that resulted in a four-year ban and ended the 30-year-old’s NRL career.

Battling hamstring injuries for several months, Mullen sought treatment from a physio outside of the Newcastle Knights last season.

“I trusted the bloke I’d known him for 10 years — he tossed up an amino acid injection to help with the healing,” Mullen says in an exclusive interview to be aired on Channel Seven news tonight.

“After the injection I tore my hamstring two weeks later so whatever was supposed to go in there didn’t work anyway. When I did the interview with ASADA they knew it was an accident because you need to be taking five other different things for it to actually do anything.

“If I was intentionally going out there to improve myself to get bigger faster stronger I’m happy to cop the four years. It’s just ruined my life.”

Mullen also reveals he refused to ‘dob in’ the physiotherapist despite the possibility of having his suspension reduced by two years in a deal with ASADA.

His ban would have been reduced to two years if he had named and shamed the physio.

“I just want to say I take full responsibility for what happened,” he says.

“I’m not here to blame anyone else. If someone is saying to you ‘I’m going to inject you with a steroid’ as a professional athlete you’re going to say ‘no — no way in the world’.

“It stays in your system for six to 12 months and you get tested every second week.”

The Knights tore up Mullen’s contract after 211 NRL games for the club. Under the ASADA code, he is banned from participating or coaching in any sport anywhere in the world.

The Channel 7 interview is the first time Mullen has emerged after spending months in hiding during the ASADA investigation.

There was controversy over the fact the Knights were forced to continue paying him despite the positive test to a banned substance.

It cost the Knights $15,000 a week on their salary cap.

SEE THE JARROD MULLEN INTERVIEW ON CHANNEL 7 NEWS, TONIGHT FROM 6PM

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/102bc26f26d22ff291257c0a8ef9f221

13. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

I had more respect for the guy before I read this it just makes me think he is more of an idiot than I thought ...Mate you ruined your life no one else ...YOU chose to go outside the club.... YOU decided to let a guy inject you.... You say you take full responsibility but your blaming this bloke . Asada new it was an accident... NO IT WASNT... it was your choice that's why they banned you and maybe the coppers should be involved for not naming this guy and how can you not name him if he did that to you without your knowledge ...What a load of crap ....Glad your gone .

Ven and 88Knight4life like this.
  14. Ven

Ven Steve Fulmer

shots fired! :lol:

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    As if he wouldn't be naming someone if true. His dumber than most footballers if true which is saying something.

MisterLevy likes this.
  16. Tubby

Tubby Robbie McCormack

I can't help but feel sorry for him, if for nothing more than how stupid he was

MisterLevy likes this.
  17. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I've made a few stupid mistakes along the way. He's welcome to have a beer and watch the footy at my joint.

danknights, Tasgirl and 88Knight4life like this.
  18. Billy

I don't know why people want to kick him while he is down.

The Knights are the big winners out of this. He says he was due to get a million dollars next year, so we got a million to spend to replace a busted up old guy.

Mullen made a mistake, and he is paying for it far more than seems reasonable.

We win big. He loses big. Let it go people. Going after him with torches and pitchforks seems very unnecessary.

mozza, Tasgirl and slotmachine like this.
  19. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Adam Woolnough

Leave him alone, he was great for this club and he is by far nowhere near the only person to take that **** on be on the field!

It's a win for the knights in the end, but a loss for him as his career won't be remembered how it should.

Loyal player for a very average team...

I do feel for him, and I don't hold anything against him, wish him well in the future.

Tasgirl likes this.
  20. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

After everything that happen with the Sharks and Bombers a player in today's game can't use the excuse 'I didn't know what I was getting injected with'. If someone told me I was getting injected with an amino acid and it turned out to be roids and I lost my reputation and career I'd be pretty unhappy with that guy .....

As I've said previous Mullo was a great servant to the club and loved the club more than himself so I could never hate him, but I think he's story here isn't quite the truth .....