Jarrod Mullen suspended by the NRL after testing positive to steroids

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by relicorange94, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He is a fit, young, good looking, multi millionaire with about a million friends and admirers - he is literally in a better situation than anyone I know, and maybe anyone I've ever met.
    He'll be OK.

MisterLevy likes this.
  2. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Todd Anderson

Asset Manager
    I agree with most things you say Billy but that is an extremely external / superficial way of understanding someone's wellbeing and what's important in life. None of those things help people who start or are suffering from mental illness. I just hope Jarrod has a solid network and peace of mind once the dust settles. Don't mean to have a go. Just saying there's a lot of mental things to consider. You could argue Dan Vickerman had all of that and more. And he left the game with his head held high.

Jekk, red and blue from ACT and Joel like this.
  3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

There is no evidence at all that he has a mental illness. He has a few worries, but so does just about everyone else at some time or other.
    He has basically led a fairytale life that any poster on here would be happy to have, and he is still in the prime of his life.

MisterLevy likes this.
  4. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Todd Anderson

Asset Manager
    That's my point Billy my friend. There is often no evidence. Ever heard the expression "suffer in silence"? I wish your simple way of assessing his wellbeing is true and he goes alright. A lot of sportsmen struggle on retirement. Imagine how he's feeling. Hardly counting 50's in the mirror admiring how dreamy his triceps are!! Not sure about fairytale life either. Lived in the shadow of a great, never lived up to the hype, won sweet F all and bows out in disgrace.

Jekk likes this.
  5. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Yeah he's lost all respect in the league community and will forever be known as a cheat. That can't be a good place to be in. If he's handling it well then I'd be surprised.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Depends on the guy. Don't see Gal too worried about his guilty please to drug cheating and a three week (or weak take your pick) sentence.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Andrew 'Joey' Johns

modern burlesque dancer
    Little sympathy for Jarrod, just wish he'd do the right thing and fall on his sword so we can maybe jag a mid range signing this year or front end some contracts.

Hell the House wasn't even guilty and did the right thing by the club!!!!!

jamesgould, Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

Really Mental illness ..your joking right ...The guy broke the rules and the law and is feeling sorry for himself ...He has gone from the pent house to the basement and that hurts , why is everything mental illness these days . He is angry hurt and feeling down because of his own actions these are normal emotions NOT mental illness ....

Lefty likes this.
  9. Lord of the Skraelings

modern burlesque dancer
    Exactly. We all get a case of the mopes once in a while that's part of life's ups and downs.

Mullen to his credit has never made such a claim and I think his a better bloke than that, but the amount of times footballers (Boyd/Fifita) stuff up and then we hear about these demons they've been battling is insanity.

Some people....... Are just A holes!

Ethan likes this.
  10. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Brilliant Ethan could not of put it better :applause:

Ethan likes this.
  11. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Easy for him though as he was allowed to play on pretty much straight away. He could move on immediately & people forget. Mullo can't play on, his career has been ended as a drug cheat & that's what people will remember him for.

Jekk likes this.
  12. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

The Knights have money to burn which will be boosted after finalising a termination payment to Jarrod Mullen. WTF we should not have to pay him anything imo.

13. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Not really a winning situation for the Knights there but to not have to commit to his contract at the expense of paying a small fee to terminate it now rather then letting it drag out over 12 months while still having to pay him while still having his money on the books that whole time.
    I'd have to say I'd take the first option myself.

I'd be nice for him to have his day in court and finish his career on his own terms but it's best to get it over and done with now.

14. Lord of the Skraelings

modern burlesque dancer
    Jarrod Mullen was taking steroids which EVERYONE knows is banned by professional sports.

Sharks were told by their club Dr's that what they were taking was fine and had no reason to belief otherwise.

Sharks were ignorant, our bloke is a drug cheat so lets not defend him okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
    88Knight4life likes this.
  15. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Don't think we should accuse anyone of anything. Don't want to be sued. But 1 thing I'll say is tbf. Mullen took it to help his injury. Not to better his performance. So can hardly say he is a drug cheat. Just someone who made a stupid decision.

16. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    How do we know Mullen knew what the gear was ? At worst I call him very stupid.

Jekk likes this.
  17. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Took a banned substance, doesn't matter what his intentions were. Just one of the few to get caught.

18. Joshhh

I'm not defending him. If you read the post I was quoting, I was saying why there's a difference in the fall out of Mullen compared to Gallen. Because Gallen could move on. Nothing to do with who was more of the idiot.

19. Joshhh

He's a drug cheat, he's cheating by using a banned drug to enhance his recovery beyond normal levels. We can all ofcourse understand why he did it, but it was a dumb choice full stop, he can probably never recover his reputation in the league community from it, ruined any chance he had of coaching or media jobs.

20. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Wendell Sailor copped a 2 year ban for testing positive to cocaine (not the same effect as taking steroids for recovery) but he seems to be doing ok in the media. Probably different that he had a chance to come back from his suspension and play NRL again but I think in time people can forgive and forget (probably less of the latter), especially the ones that were able to get away with it during their careers.