James Segeyaro

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Sep 26, 2018.

1. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Worst f/a in the comp by a margin suggests we were

2. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Didn't manly concede more?

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yes, but they scored a lot more than we did.

4. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

We were well off the pace. The pace, is the teams in the 8 and we were well behind even 8th. We were lucky that a few other teams were more off the pace than us, uncharacteristically.

slotmachine likes this.
  5. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

I'm more worried about the points against. We fix that we are well on the way. We have the talent. Just need to teach the bastards how to tackle well for 80 minutes as a team.

6. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Comes down to fatigue and desire. Desire was there last year but we seem to lag behind the top teams in fitness.

Not sure why, but the top teams just seem to have that bit more energy than us at the back end of the halves. Probably due to having that little bit of polish that allows them to trade sets with teams, rather than finding themselves defending repeat sets several times each half.

Defence isn't rocket science, take your man and slide with them across the field. if you stay side by side and slide there are no gaps, and the opposition have a very hard time breaking through, or getting around.

Fatigue is the big issue for us.

Rather than having heaps of opposed sessions this pre season, I'd tie a rope from one player to the next and practice running up 3 metres and then sliding across as a team

7. listo

listo Aaron Grainger

Maybe the fatigue has something to do with the amount of post contact meters and second phase play we allow?
    Brown has had his head up his arse so far when it comes to defence

8. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dean Carney

Fixing the cheap turnovers will reduce fatigue and go a long way to improving points conceded per game!

9. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

It would surprise me if fatigue was a problem to be honest I don't think Ayoub would let that happen ..

10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

From my perspective it is definitely fatigue. But not necessarily fitness.

We need to play smarter not get fitter.

It all compounds during a game, we drop a ball or two and am on the back foot, we don't make the meters in attack and have to kick from a poor position which means our opponents are finishing their set closer to our line each set like a game of forcem backs until they get a try or a repeat set, either way they get the ball back and we defend longer. We tend not to get the 50/50 calls which we can't help right now but it leads to more pressure. Hell, even our kickoffs are not as deep as other teams gifting the opposition a free 10 - 15m right off the bat, as above we seem to allow easy offloads against us which leads to second phase play and pretty much just adds additional tackles we have to make per set. Penalties in the vast majority of cases go to the attacking team, the more time we spend defending the more penalties we concede that just adds up to more defence, less field position and more fatigue.

All of this stuff compounds over the course of a game leading to fatigue, which leads to our line speed dropping, and our line not sliding well, and the middles not being able to cover there section well. Which in turn leads to further fatigue as the opp pile on a try, or a penalty goal, or repeat sets.

There is a lot of areas we need to improve on to help ourselves through a game, which in turn will allow us the extra gas to defend when we need to, and not just break as we can't resist any longer.

This is the stuff I want Brown focusing on. Hold the ball, smart ends to sets, percentage plays, deeper kickoffs.

kurtsux and danknights like this.
  11. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Does anyone think without Pearce for 10 weeks ponga for 8 and watson for similar plus noticeable others we are this bad?

member 2299 and Damo Levy like this.
  12. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Just the groupies that have it in for Brown.

13. listo

listo Aaron Grainger

Our defence is, yes IMO.
    The ride I’ve had the last few years as a fan, has personally been tough but enjoyable. Copping **** by every wank that has an opinion while he follows a top team, it’s been nice see constant improvements, but defence hasn’t been one of them. I’m just a guy sitting on the couch having a beer that knows **** all, but even I can see our D is **** & has been for too long. With no Pearce, Ponga or Watson, surely they can compete in a tackle? Defence aside, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the season to be honest, I can’t wait for the next one!

Not a groupie that has it in for Brown, just a Knights supporter that doesn’t like our defence. You can go go back to your groupies that have it in for Billy now if you like

14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

It's all about retaining possession, big kicks into opposition half and making them work it out then regaining in good position, tackling is harder work than running it out and kicking. Forcing drop outs is basically what it's about, constant pressre takes it toll, that's when fatigue sets in defensively and attack takes control. If you hold the ball for 4-5 tackles and kick long and back it up with good defence you will do ok.

15. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    The person that has less positive things to say about the club then I do?

Think people are sick to death of his deathriding on Brown to be fair.

16. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    And if you dare say CBM lookout for the slagging!

17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

I'm not in the deathriding Brown camp. I think he has done a good job for his part in our rebuild so far, I told him personally at the knights season launch that the club owes him a big thanks for turning us around.

I'm also realistic about where we are now, and what we need to be doing to improve.

I care about the club first and foremost.

18. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Wayne Richards

Asset Manager
    One decent prop and back up hooker away from being a 5-8 team next year in my opinion.

member 2299 and Kurriboy like this.
  19. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Wayne Richards

Asset Manager
    Barring sickening injury roll again that is!

Joshhh likes this.
  20. krustykraz

krustykraz Nathan Barnes