Jacob Saifiti in altercation with Dane Cordner

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by alexwilliams, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

So Jacob is on about $100k?

2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

25% across the board for any indiscretion? That’ll cause problems. So you’d get fined the same amount for peeing in public as you would for beating up your missus?

3. Beatell

Beatell Paul Marquet

No 200k he was fined 50k with 25k suspended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defender1 likes this.
  4. Gunner

Gunner Up The Knights

What if he got hit at the pub at 8pm after having dinner and 2 schooners? Assuming he's done nothing wrong and unless they actually have a set time they can't be out in public, he should be absolutely filthy about that fine.

Wobbles and Ethan like this.
  5. Wobbles

Wobbles David Smith

That would have to be the greatest mandatory percentage fine in place at any club. It's a bold position to take, but by publicly announcing that will be the standard but at least it provides some transparency to everyone.

Where it could backfire is in relation to recruitment with some players perhaps reluctant to come to a club or even re-sign where they risk losing a massive chunk of their salary compared to another club where the same indiscretion incurs a much smaller fine.

Setting the same mandatory fine for incidents (I assume regardless of severity, excluding actions worthy of termination) could perhaps be reconsidered however. If it was up to me I'd prefer to adopt a grading style of punishment.

Either way, you have to applaud the club setting such a high standard of expectations. Playing NRL at this level is a privilege, and while the scrutiny at times may be deemed unfair it's not unreasonable considering the amount of money players can make.

If it achieves the desired outcome of having a team which only receives positive media in relation to off-field behaviour, it can only be a good thing for all concerned.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Not only that Wobbles, I would think the Club would have behavioural clauses in all contracts restricting hours at Clubs and pubs, and how much booze is taken on board whilst in season or pre-season training.

7. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

It could go the other way too in helping change the perception of our club into one with strong leadership & culture. Players want to play at strong clubs with high standards. No one wants to play with weak also ran clubs with no stability or real leadership.

Beatell likes this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan Timana Tahu

I can see us losing players over this especially if they are out at anytime and some big headed ahole wants to see how tough he is and has a go at them .
    We have already seen that it doesn't matter whether the player does something wrong or not . Even if he is in the right he will still lose 25% of his pay.
    If a player has a family and house payments and so on and loses a 1/4 of his income because as in Jacobs position some one else wants to have a go at him players will not want to sign here and players it happens too will want out .
    I still wouldn't be supprised if Jacob and Daniel ask for a release ...I would ..

9. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

Is it too easy to just walk away from any confrontation? I don't see the need to be a drunken mess when your getting paid a wage to be an ATHLETE. Out at a farewell dinner suggests to me a 6-8 beers and your done. If you want to get blotto stay at home and have a bbq.

Matty23 and Beatell like this.
  10. Wobbles

Wobbles David Smith

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/cowboy...-players/b6dfef08-e2d8-4e9d-8c0c-87cdb6b5926a

Cowboys to employ minders for players

NRL club North Queensland will employ minders for players after forward Scott Bolton admitted to drunkenly touching a woman's upper thigh in a Sydney court this week.

Cowboys coach Paul Green said they would introduce the extra safety measures for players when they go out socially in future after Bolton pleaded guilty to common assault in Waverley Local Court on Monday.

The married prop avoided conviction and was put on a 12-month good behaviour release order after a charge of indecent assault was withdrawn over the incident at Bondi Beach Public Bar in May 2018.

11. Ethan

Ethan Timana Tahu

I don't know how many altercations you have been in but ive been in a few over the years and some times walking away is not an easy thing to do if the ****** giving you a hard time wants to keep going especially if he has a skin full he will keep it going ..
    I walked away once and got king hit from behind I was lucky my brother was there or I would have gotten hit a lot more as it put me on my knee's .
    I decided never to do that again as the old man used to say attack is the best form of defence … These guys are a target but that should not mean they cant do the same things as the rest of us ..

Simon Templar likes this.
  12. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Jason Edwards

I general terms Ethan I can understand what you are saying.
    However, the reality is that professional rugby league players are scrutinised far more than the general public and have to be very careful about where they are and what they are doing, especially if they are drinking!.
    Being out on the drink for 12 plus hours, is not acceptable for an NRL player, regardless of his legal innocence.
    The club's position would be that he should not have been in that state/situation in the first place.
    If he had of been out for dinner and had 2 or 3 beers and the same thing occurred, totally different outcome regarding punishment.
    Nobody is saying these guys can't go out and enjoy themselves, they just have to be very aware of their profile and situations they shouldn't be exposing themselves to!

Kurriboy, Matty23, danknights and 2 others like this.
  13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It isn't hard to stay out of places and situations where people are getting drunk and aggressive.
    As someone said, nothing good happens after 1 AM, and if you are a professional athlete, you probably should be home in bed well before 1 AM anyway.
    I also find that "heros" who assault people very rarely go after anyone who looks sober enough and big enough to defend themselves - they go after people who look defenceless, or outnumbered at least, so someone like Jake Saifiti just has to stay reasonably sober and go home at a reasonable hour and he should never have a problem.
    Jacob is also the twin who is married and has a child, so you'd think he'd be more settled than his brother.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Lefty and danknights like this.
  14. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    It’s not hard. Stop being out in the am full of grog. It’s a crap life anyway. Have a few quiet beers and dinner go home at 10pm.

The whole NRL should be adapting to it. The grog ruins as many lives and causes as many problems as ice.

Time to start being professional.

Chief Longhorn and Lefty like this.
  15. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Jason Edwards

There may be something in that, or he might be more unsettled? A lot of responsibility for any young man, let alone a young professional footballer! Maybe he didn't want to go home? I mean all of us blokes have felt the same, misso giving you the tripe, but filling up isn't the answer! Whatever the scenario, he is going to get a lot more education and support than the average Joe! He is a good lad and if he can get through this it will only make him stronger, I have no doubt he can really make himself and all of us proud!

Ethan likes this.
  16. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

I see the knight have released a statement regarding someone being naughty on boxing day. Wonder who..........

17. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

18. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Woolnough

Well, the players union has done sweat FA themselves to fix anything. You would have to assume the "players" union is not going to sanction anything that hurts the players.

The whole NRL needs to crack down on player behaviour. Every single off season is one scandal after the next.

19. alexwilliams

alexwilliams Robbie McCormack

Wood machinist
  20. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Woolnough

Good. Means we should hear the details of what transpired.