Jacob Saifiti in altercation with Dane Cordner

I have girls and they are more likely to be dancers then footballers at this stage but of course every kid who's ever played a backyard game of football wants to be Joey or GI just like they want to be Barbie or a Jedi when role playing.

Good conduct is written into their contract if they want to have the privacy of Joe Bloggs like us get out of the spotlight and get a normal job. Otherwise until you hang up the boots your under the rules of your club and the nrl.

Yeah, whether you believe they should be role models or not, the bottom line is kids look up to them & see them as heroes. You'll never change that. So players & the NRL have a responsibility to keep them in check, as impossible as that is, footballers are just people, so inevitably there's gonna be ****wits.

It’s just about being professional. Bad things always happen at night with drinks and young people it’s inevitable.

The only way to learn from it is to live it. It is a culture and more things would happen then what is reported. If Saf does not break his leg or injure himself we would never of heard of it.

Learn from it and move on.

Kids may look up to a footy player. But you are drawing a long bow if your suggesting a kid will take drugs just because a footy player does, or whatever the situation.

That is the point parenting comes in to play and you teach your child the wrong and right thing to be doing.

Kids might want to be just like their footy star hero, but what they idolise is the skills, the fame, they don't know anything about them personally.

They have clauses in their contract about behavior they breach them they suffer the consequences.

Sorry but these blokes speak at schools, community groups and represent many charities.

If that isn't a role model then what is?

It’s just about being professional. Bad things always happen at night with drinks and young people it’s inevitable.

The only way to learn from it is to live it. It is a culture and more things would happen then what is reported. If Saf does not break his leg or injure himself we would never of heard of it.

Learn from it and move on.

If he was coward punched no action will be taken. If he was the instigator there will.

Hope it's the first.

They have clauses in their contract about behavior they breach them they suffer the consequences.

Sorry but these blokes speak at schools, community groups and represent many charities.

If that isn't a role model then what is?

They are role models, in the role of football player. Not as exemplary human beings. They attend schools and kids are like look there is a footy player I see playing for my team, they are not oh look, there is a great human being I appreciate for their responsible choices in life. And when attending schools they are holding talks on saying no to drugs, having confidence in themselves etc etc.

Most kids can tell the difference between right and wrong and make the right choice, and parents have a lot of input.

Anyway, he will get whatever punishment he gets once the details come out more, police investigation etc.

Grown men getting told when to go home.

That'll do me.
Me too mate . So far no one knows exactly what happened if Cordner was the instigator then he should be charged and nothing happen to Jacob .
I don't care who you are if your pushed by someone and you defend yourself by pushing them back and then you get KO'd that is not your fault .
If Cordner started it and kept it going outside then KO'd Jacob I will be pissed off if he gets any suspension because I don't care who you are you should be allowed to defend yourself .
What if Jacob gets KO;d and hits his head and dies , then everyone would be saying hang Cordner and Jacob should have protected him self …
People are saying he is an idiot and should cop this and that and they don't even know the whole story and talking about a curfew for grown men what a bloody joke .

Anyone with a celebrity like status is a role model for children. Sports stars are definitely included in this bracket. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous to say the least.
I wonder if it says in theyre contract you will be a role model for children and if that's so then we shouldn't have bought Pearce or SKD ..
What they did was a lot worse than protecting yourself against someone that wants to knock you out and then does .

I have girls and they are more likely to be dancers then footballers at this stage but of course every kid who's ever played a backyard game of football wants to be Joey or GI just like they want to be Barbie or a Jedi when role playing.

Good conduct is written into their contract if they want to have the privacy of Joe Bloggs like us get out of the spotlight and get a normal job. Otherwise until you hang up the boots your under the rules of your club and the nrl.
Good conduct is written into their contract that's true but that should not stop someone from trying to protect themselves from a violent person trying to hurt them imo That is Unaustralian … Have to say when my son is 18 and allowed to go to the Pub and drink I will be telling him that if some ****** decides to Attack him then knock that idiot out first because I would rather my son not be the one on the ground with any kind of injury ala Jacob …
I have to say we as a nation have gone from (where women glow and Men thunder) to prissy little princesses that don't want to get our feelings hurt .

I read these posts and then said to my son would you ever contemplate having sex with a dog . Thankfully he said of course not so I thought well footy players arn;t that big a role model then hey lol.

Good conduct is written into their contract that's true but that should not stop someone from trying to protect themselves from a violent person trying to hurt them imo That is Unaustralian … Have to say when my son is 18 and allowed to go to the Pub and drink I will be telling him that if some ****** decides to Attack him then knock that idiot out first because I would rather my son not be the one on the ground with any kind of injury ala Jacob …
I have to say we as a nation have gone from (where women glow and Men thunder) to prissy little princesses that don't want to get our feelings hurt .

How's that related to good conduct? I am not accussing Jacob of bad conduct, the conversation veered off as to are NRL players role models or not.

No expects anyone to sit there and get there head kicked in dude, if he was attacked and defended himself no one will blame him, if he is seen to have provocked the attack he'll have the book thrown at him, pretty simple.

I wonder if it says in theyre contract you will be a role model for children and if that's so then we shouldn't have bought Pearce or SKD ..
What they did was a lot worse than protecting yourself against someone that wants to knock you out and then does .

I’d say there is a good chance there is something written along those lines in the contract these days with all the community work they do inbetween training and games.

Besides it’s not something that needs to be said anyway. It’s basic common sense.

It's impressed upon them upon being inducted into the NRL that when they step outside their house they are in the public eye and representing the NRL, they bring into disrepute, its black and white they risk being rubbed out.

And yep CBM it's common sense, again if they don't like it, go get a different job where not being a law abiding human being isn't a requirement.

Yeah walking away is the best thing but sometimes walking away from someone who (Drunk or Sober ) really wants to knock your arse out is not only impossible it can be very dangerous . Its easy to say just walk away but sometimes its hard to do .

Back