It's Steal City

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Joshhh, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

St George Illawarra players to face six ex-Dragons when they play Newcastle Knights in NRL opener

[​IMG]
    Big switch: Darius Boyd is one of six former Dragon players now with the Knights.

[​IMG]
    The players and coaching staff the Knights have acquired from the Dragons.

THEY are the Newcastle Dragons - six players, one legendary coach and three coaching staff members who dumped the famous Red V for the Newcastle Knights.

Mining billionaire Nathan Tinkler did not just pinch Wayne Bennett, the Dragons' first premiership-winning coach in 31 years, but his club has also secured six players from St George Illawarra - Darius Boyd, Adam Cuthbertson, Neville Costigan, Alex McKinnon, Wes Naiqama and Chris Houston.

And the selection of all six for Newcastle gives Thursday night's season-opening blockbuster at Hunter Stadium a lively edge.
    Newcastle would have outlayed more than $2 million over time to lure the players from Saints.

Bennett and his six players were at St George Illawarra for a combined total of 257 NRL games.

But that's not all.

Newcastle also lured Dragons coaching staff David Ballard (strength and conditioning), Scott Barker (performance analyst) and Jeremy Hickmans (performance director).

"It is ironic that they meet in round one," Newcastle's 2001 premiership-winning coach Michael Hagan said.

"They will enjoy playing against their old side, no doubt. A lot of players like to get these games out of the way as early in the season as possible.

"It will be strange for Darius, Wayne and Adam Cuthbertson, given they had so much success at Saints in recent years."

Boyd will line up at fullback on Thursday night, alongside Naiqama (centre), Cuthbertson (prop), Houston (second-row), Costigan (lock) and McKinnon (bench).

Boyd, Cuthbertson and McKinnon will be making their Knights debut.

The Bulldogs have been dubbed the Canterbury Sea Eagles because of a Belmore raid on Manly's coaching staff, including head coach Des Hasler.

In yesterday's The Sunday Telegraph, Boyd said having so many ex-Dragons at Newcastle would be an advantage.

"They will know a few things that we do and we will know a few things about them," Boyd said.

St George Illawarra will also be aware of Bennett's coaching style, his tactics and how Boyd will play from fullback.

Dragons coach Steve Price will name his side tomorrow. Newcastle return to training this morning.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ts-in-nrl-opener/story-e6frexnr-1226281948366

It'd ridiculous how they're talking about Wes & Houston in this. Houston in particular. They've both been here for years now & well & truly are Knights more than Dragons, & not part of any Tinkler plan to 'steal the Dragons players'

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Novocastrian90

Novocastrian90 Brock Mueller

Wes and Houston weren't given Bennett Dragons.

More dribble by the faily crapograph

3. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Why Houston in particular ahead of Naiqama? They both joined in 08, but Naiqama has been here longer, when you consider Houston wasn't with us in 2010.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Probably the fact he's been a more dominant player for us longer, you know making the Origin squad as 18th man & all. :p

5. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    Wes had a lot more time with the dragons too, Housten only a season or so in the top grade

6. laney

laney Trent Hodkinson

Saints got Bennett ,Boyd and most of those staff from the Bronco,s Bennett and Boyd were both leaving anyway, McKinnon was allready coming HOME , Costigan was told to go by Saints so they could keep Gasnier ...who left , Cuthbertson was called ordinary by most Saints fans last season untill the last game or 2 ,Wes was an unwanted bad boy , Houston was having a hard time cracking 1st grade so he came here ...when was that last century i think ....Need a story journalism in my opinion.

7. jamesgould

I don't think Houston was having a tough time cracking first grade, he was just young, but the Dragons were pretty furious to lose him to us, from what I remember.

We do have a large amount of ex-Dragons, I don't know why people would argue with the article or get offended by it. It's pretty factual haha.

8. Deanoknights

Deanoknights Daniel Smailes

James Gould: We do have a large amount of ex-Dragons, I don't know why people would argue with the article or get offended by it. It's pretty factual haha.

Pretty much what I was going to write earlier James ;-)

9. jamesgould

I'm just glad that they've all seen the light and come to Newcastle! :p

10. Deanoknights

Deanoknights Daniel Smailes

That's it ;-)

11. turtonrd

turtonrd Dave Woods

This is like Adrian Proszenko from the Sun Herald saying that Tinkler is 'trying to prove the old adage that you can't buy a premiership wrong', when half of the players we've 'bought' are ex-Newcastle players coming back.

12. OutOnTheFull

OutOnTheFull James Goulding

Well if you're gunna steal 'em, you might as well steal 'em from the premiers. Go the Knights

13. Joel

Joel Touche...

The Daily Telegraph is so stupid, I am now dumber from reading this article.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  14. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Anything to try and build up the game. Notice how neither team have really come out and said much.

15. jamesgould

Why, exactly?

Even apart from these six players, we've had a track record of nabbing ex-Dragons players in recent years, with Danny Wicks, Beau Henry, Keith Lulia, Ben Rogers and Luke MacDougall all coming directly from there, and George Ndaira originally came from there, too, but came to us via a couple of other clubs.

It adds some spice to the clash - it has in the past when we've met and will again on Thursday night!

16. Joel

Joel Touche...

We bought Houston and Wes nearly 4 years ago. It will hype up the game though which is its purpose, I just think that the back page in a newspaper should contain something newsworthy.

17. laney

laney Trent Hodkinson

Halalooya Praise the Tinkerbell lol.....Me too James me too...

18. moony

moony Ben Rogers

Telegraph Dribble. Why dont they write up an aricle on the amount of local juniors we've lost to other clubs since our existence. Alex Mckinnon by rights is a Newcastle junior from Aberdeen before he was lured to the dragons. Or how about when they took Jamie Ainscough, Darren Treacy, Andrew Tangatatoa, Adrian Brunker and David Waite back in the Mid 90's. Player trading is happening all the time and its the 1st time in the knights history where we have had funds to spend money on established first graders.

19. jamesgould

I believe we did release all those players the Dragins took in the mid-90s ... don't know if you can say we stole them.

20. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Not only players involved there would be quite a few ex Dragon supporters like myself that seen the light. Prior to the Knights entering the comp I had been a Dragons supporter since I was old enough to know what footy was. Changa was my idol. I traveled to Kogorah for most home games when I got my drivers license and was unfortunate enough to be on the Hill at the SCG when the filthy Bulldogs beat us 7 - 6 in the Grand Final. The first time the Knights played St George at home I went to the game decked out in red and white. Strange thing happened about half way through the first half. Here was a team made up of blokes I see around town almost daily. No huge names but having a red hot go. For some reason I felt part of the team. Rugby League was the game I had played and coached most of my life and now my Town has a team competing on the biggest stage. I had to support them and have from that night on. I don't hate the Dragons and was ecstatic when they won the GF 2 years ago. I just hope they run 2nd on Thursday night.