It was 20 years ago today

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lefty, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

It is 20 years to the day since the 1997 Grand Final.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was the Chief's "Perfect day" and it was one the best days of my life! How sweet is was!

Tasgirl likes this.
  2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Sargent Pepper taught the band to play.

Defender1 and Joshhh like this.
  3. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    [​IMG]

member 2299 and Lefty like this.
  4. Battler

Battler Kade Snowden

Wow. I remember walking to town (I lived in Hamilton at the time) with a bunch of mates after the game. We 'borrowed' a heap of string banners or pennants, whatever they are called, from the mall and dragged them all the way to the workers club.

To be a teenager again :newcastle:

Lefty likes this.
  5. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

Yes, not hard to work out where I got the words from.

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I was about 2 years old when this happened sadly. But you can feel the spirit & emotion just watching the footage. The closest thing I've felt to that was the 2013 finals run & odd game like the miracle win against Melbourne where Gids kicked the goal to win. This is a crucial decade now, I was a baby when we won our premierships & if we don't win in the next decade, I'll probably have missed my chance to party it up like a 20-something-year old would. Hopefully the Knights can do it for old @member 2299 too, if we win we can all carry him down to King St & pop a couple things like the Johns boys after 97.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I watched the game in a pub somewhere - western Australia maybe - where I was the only one interested
    When Albert ran through the gap I jumped up and yelled my head off - frightened the **** out of half the pub I think.

danknights and Lefty like this.
  8. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

I watched the game live.

With under a minute to go, I remember watching Joey run from dummy half and thinking what is he doing, then I realised he'd put Albert into a gap and the defence would not be able to stop him scoring. My mind went into so motion then, I realised we would win the game and then that we would win the premiership. It was a great feeling.

A Manly supporter was given me heaps during the game, he said the Knights did not even deserve to be the team Manly beat in the grand final. After Albert scored I jumped in front of him and gave him the 1 finger salute with each hand and told in to get far away in not some many words.

I went down to the sideline and had a good chat to Butts, he was extremely polite and even said at the end if you don't mind I'll go into the dressing room now.

Tasgirl and Battler like this.
  9. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

The Knights have to win a premiership in the next few years so member 2299 can see it!

member 2299, MisterLevy and Tasgirl like this.
  10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Leo Dynevor

I had tickets to this game. My manly mate and me both did. Bought them in advance and stupid me lost them. I looked everywhere but couldnt find them.

My mother and sister had separate tickets and when they arrived at the sfs for the game called me saying there were still tickets being sold. Got her to buy me two and we headed down.

The tickets were awesome right near the half way not too high. Perfect seating position.

As Lefty said as soon as Johns gave the ball to Albert I knew we had won. I was jumping on my chair freaking out. That footage and just thinking about it still gives me chills and goosebumps.

I have a scrapbook somewhere with a bunch of newspaper clippings from the gf and before it. The he could die headline from the manly doctor etc.

I should try and find it and scan them in for people to read.

Oh. And weeks later I found the original tickets I bought. I had stashed them in a book I was reading at the time. Opened the book and there they were.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  11. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Ahh Tasgirl the beat and rhythm lives on ~ great to see.

Tasgirl likes this.
  12. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    You bet...I love music.

member 2299 likes this.
  13. member 2299

Retired
    At the risk of getting a face slap á lá emoji, it would seem we have more to move to the beat than at Rosebuds in the 70's!

Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  14. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Quite possibly, still involved with music, but on the mixing and producing side, only play for pleasure now..... or when I want to invigorate the neighbours at 2am....ooops, too much bubbly.

member 2299 likes this.
  15. member 2299

Retired

Ahh you are a sweetie under all that veneer, Lefty! My eldest son bought me a ticket to the game and it was just brilliant. Stayed with him overnight and missed the celebrations.

Had a ticket too in 2001 and an air ticket, ended up in Coffs Harbour Hospital 6am Grand Final Day with no TV in the room I was in!

16. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

Oh you must have been devastated to miss the 2001 grand final. It was such a great game to watch live. I'll always fondly remember Tahu's try that clinched the game for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasgirl likes this.
  17. EASBay17

EASBay17 Tim Maddison

I was at the game as a 9yr old. Still the best day of my life. crazy day. Knights supporters were crying, manly supporters crying. Wish i was abit older because i didnt appreciate just how good we were during that era i thought we would be on top forever.

Tasgirl, Lefty and Joshhh like this.
  18. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Leo Dynevor

Was at this one also. Such a perfect 1st half.

A shame the presentations were in the crowd then as we were on that side and couldn't see anything.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk