2017 Knights Injury List

Lefty

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Cogger and Mata'utia injury update

Young halfback Jack Cogger has this week undergone pelvis stabilizing surgery and repair of a sports hernia.

Cogger will be sidelined for approximately 14 weeks.

Meanwhile Chanel Mata’utia suffered a grade one hamstring strain at training on Wednesday.

Mata’utia will be out for approximately three to four weeks.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/03/10/cogger_and_mata_utia.html

This explains the situation with Cogger.

Tough situation for Cogger. Now we have to deal with Feeney & Pearsall as back up halves. And no matter how much people on here like to bag Cogger, he was miles ahead of those 2 in all of his games.

If he was known to have had a hernia, he should have had surgery ages ago.
I suppose some people live with a small hernia for years and it doesn't effect them, but this was clearly effecting him so surgery is the only sensible option.

I doubt they knew about the hernia long term or I would expect they would have dealt with it at the end of last season.

Bugger for Cogger though, let's pray Hodkinson doesn't get injured. A decent injury to Hodkinson now and our season is in tatters. Touch wood.

Wardle is back this week.
Kosty - unknown
Feeney - a few weeks still I think
Pauli says he is targeting round 3, but said it was optimistic
Brodie Jones had his arm in a sling at the juniors the other day. He did look really fit though - like a young Steve Simpson.
Cogger 14 weeks
Chanel - 3 or 4 weeks
Braidie Smith should have another month or so I think.

Last edited:
I doubt they knew about the hernia long term or I would expect they would have dealt with it at the end of last season.

Bugger for Cogger though, let's pray Hodkinson doesn't get injured. A decent injury to Hodkinson now and our season is in tatters. Touch wood.
Don't you dare jinx it m8...

Brendan Elliot | Concussion | Round 3 | Test
Jaelen Feeney | Concussion | Round 3 | Test
Sione Mata'utia | Concussion | Round 3 | Test
Pauli Pauli | Hip | Pre-season | Round 6
Chanel Mata’utia | Hamstring | Week 2 | Round 6
Mickey Paea | Knee | Round 2 | Round 7-8
Rory Kostjasyn | Throat | Pre-season | Round 7-8
Sam Mataora | Knee | Round 2 | Round 8-9
Bradie Smith | Shoulder | Pre-season | Round 10
Jack Cogger | Groin | On-going | Round 16
Dylan Phythian | Knee | Round 1 | Season

(Updated March 20)

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4538204/injured-scott-still-an-option/?cs=306

In this article Brown says Pauli is well ahead of schedule and has lost 8 or 9 kilos since his accident, and he had lost weight before the accident as well.
It sounds like he is back to about the weight he was when he first made firstgrade for Parra, which is where he needs to be I think.

In an interview last season Pauli said that 120kg was his normal playing weight maybe that's what the Parra staff were telling him but Brown doesn't think so. To me he looked a lot heavier than that but he did have an ankle problem for the back 1/2 of the year ...Wonder what he is at now , His sister said he trained all through the holidays and boxing training and that he had lost weight and was very fit and she said he was over that ankle problem too.. Cant wait to see how he goes , Fit and at his best he could be the prop we need ....Here's hoping ....

In an interview last season Pauli said that 120kg was his normal playing weight maybe that's what the Parra staff were telling him but Brown doesn't think so. To me he looked a lot heavier than that but he did have an ankle problem for the back 1/2 of the year ...Wonder what he is at now , His sister said he trained all through the holidays and boxing training and that he had lost weight and was very fit and she said he was over that ankle problem too.. Cant wait to see how he goes , Fit and at his best he could be the prop we need ....Here's hoping ....

Pauli was sitting around 135kg last yr and by memory got down to 126ish but id say his still around the 128-130kg... him at 120kg would be great.

I dont think pauli has been under 120kg since u18s tbh... the guy was bigger at 19 then at 21

This is from the Herald as he trained for the boxing fight where he claimed to be the fittest he'd ever been....

His father was a professional boxer and used to school the Knights wrecking ball growing up on the sweet science.

Pauli was a natural, but until now his boxing had been restricted to pad and bag work as part of his training program.

On Friday, the 128 kilogram Samoan is set to step into the ring for his first formal bout as part of the Ladbrokes Star of the Ring charity fight night at the Hordern Pavilion.

It'll be interesting when Paea and Mataora come back.
Young guys like Robson, Amey, JTB, King, Yates and Pauli are doing fine jobs as middle forwards. It would be a shame to drop Amey for Paea.

Billy if I were in Paea and Mataora shoes I would be looking out for a place in the ESL, or retirement maybe in Mickey's case.

Kostjasyn, Chanel and Paea were all due back this round, but on the positive side, Cogger was round 16 before, so he must be doing well.

Kostjasyn, Chanel and Paea were all due back this round, but on the positive side, Cogger was round 16 before, so he must be doing well.
Heard a few weeks ago that Rory would be back against the Cowboys, the throat injury must have been so severe.

Just as things are looking up, one of our best is now out for 8 weeks. Our only 2 decent and experienced signings both on the sidelines now.

Back