Hodkinson vs the league

You must be watching a different game than me.

What I see is our forwards struggling to make ground down field, and struggling to hold the opposition from making too many yards. This gives us less chances down in their zone as we spend more time playing the field position game. It also gives them more scoring chances, but we have done well to hold teams out and make the game closer, give our attack every chance to win it for us.

But, once we do get our chance, we blow it and that, is on Hodkinson 80%, Lamb 20%.

You can't just pin this on the forwards and say if we had a better forward pack then Hodkinson would suddenly come to life. That's ridiculous. He has had plenty of chances where we commence our set down in their half. He shows nothing.

Again righto..

Do u know what ( every chance ) means mate?

As for the 5th tackle in the op 20m zone its actually a norm for most teams atm to go to ground with ball in hand due to the 7tk set rule.

Its not the play id go with but it is the "safe play" which is something we seem to be running with.
I must be flat out hallucinating every time I watch NRL football and time after time teams get repeat sets if they fail to score points. We often have to defend 4 or 5 sets on our line in a row before we let a try in. Honestly, you are kidding yourself. Stop, take a breath and have a think about what you are saying. You're talking like rolling a ball into the in goal is actually a risky play, or some high-end elite skill. It's actually not a fantastically difficult skill, park footy players get this right more often than not - hence why it's a baseline expectation of any NRL half.
My whole points have been we cant just single out hodko in this!!

Our forwards a down right **** our structure is no better our thinking outside the square is non-existent and that isnt all on hodko.

Would i want him released if possible... yes 100%.
Though id be sending 6 or 7 other players with him as well.
You absolutely can single out any player in our team that provides absolutely nothing with the opportunities presented to them. When they're on big coin and our captain - doubly so. It's not even just that he doesn't take a single opportunity that he gets - he actively avoids opportunities instead of seeking them out.

Of course. The team in D, has kept us in the game, giving us every chance to get the job done.

I don't know if your trying to be literal. I'm sure you get my meaning.

We have lost most games this year by close scores. We have had chances in those games and have blown them. Hodkinson is not entirely to blame, but he is playing a crucial attacking role, and his inaction in attack pushes his responsibilities on to others, so you then have a novice 5/8, and forwards taking his role one.

It's not like I am sitting here saying geez, Why doesnt J or D saifiti set up more tries and get good kicks away on the 5th. Or say, that Hodkinson could really do more rucking the ball out from our own line, he needs to bend the line more.

He is our captain and halfback ffs, and does nothing that he is actually hired to do, as a half.

Sign Foran for twice as much as hodko cause thats what it will cost and within a month this same convo will happen.. no half can perform well back to back week by week in a depressing team that is a joke.

Foran would instantly come in, start running direct & rolling the ball into the in goal no troubles. To an extent, I think the forwards are affecting Hokko, when they were going good in the first few rounds Hokko was running the ball & getting more involved with more space. That's fallen away as the forwards can't even crack the half century now. But there is no excusing him not being able to attempt repeat sets when we have gotten into the opp 20. He is protecting his knee so that's why he passes it elsewhere but for 600k we can't carry that, Lamb is nowhere near good enough yet to take up the slack either. If his knee is gone, we shouldn't be paying him & he should retire.

I've been wondering all year if Mooney has a plan for this Josh Ralph kid he signed.
He is a halfback - a bit older than Cogger and a bit younger than Lamb.
He played for Qld at under 15 and under 18 level - matched up against Cogger I think.
Last year he played 12 games for the Titans under 20s and scored 13 tries.
He was injured in the pre season and needed a shoulder reconstruction.
He played his first game back yesterday and scored a try in our NYC win.

You don't usually see a kid turning 20 signed for NYC unless he is seen as a future senior player.

I've been wondering all year if Mooney has a plan for this Josh Ralph kid he signed.
He is a halfback - a bit older than Cogger and a bit younger than Lamb.
He played for Qld at under 15 and under 18 level - matched up against Cogger I think.
Last year he played 12 games for the Titans under 20s and scored 13 tries.
He was injured in the pre season and needed a shoulder reconstruction.
He played his first game back yesterday and scored a try in our NYC win.

You don't usually see a kid turning 20 signed for NYC unless he is seen as a future senior player.
I'd say at the very least he would be trying to generation some competition for spots. If he's in that age group, he may well be there to keep Lamb and Cogger honest.

Back