Hodkinson vs the league

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Kurriboy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Ben Kennedy

Our game plan is clearly not to kick on the 5th from close range, we cant defend 7tk sets very well.... add to that we usually give a penalty away after a mistake.

2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Warriors, Rabbitohs, Titans and Sharks (defensively, we had no ball) they've done their job. Hodkinson has had opportunities in those games (and several last year) to stand up in the clutch but hasn't once.

3. 88Knight4life

So how does a half go without the ball or field position?
    U know the answer mozza.

4. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Muir

At least one of those tries came from a defender stupidly rushing up and giving Hodkinson no passing option. He was in the motion of passing but had to stop, then ran as he had no other option. The idiot rushing defender left a gaping hole that Hodkinson scored through.

If that defender didn't rush up, he would have just passed it along.

I did find the stats interesting. Canberra are going well, but Sezer from the stats looks horrible.

88' what I hate about Hodkinson is most of the team is trying their heart out, can you say Hodkinson is?

If he was, he'd be running at the line, putting his hand up on the last to take the option etc. The best players want the ball, they look for it, Hodkinson seems to not want to be anywhere near it unless he is kicking a conversion.

He may be 7th for hit ups, but dead last for ARM, save for Foran who has had 2 games. That tells me he only runs, when he has no other option, which is why the ARM is so low. And I already knew this from watching him.

He gets the ball and looks to pass, doesn't read the defense and take any option, just passes it. If the defence has rushed up and cut off his passing option, he dives in to the defensive line straight to ground. Hence his low ARM vs hitups, 5m per hitup.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Lamb has managed to set up 4 times as many tries, kicks much more and looked far more dangerous with ball in hand and he's a kid that's not ready to be playing regular FG.
    Look, Our pack aren't great and they have been monstered the last 2 weeeks but Hodkinson is the biggest problem affecting our team at the moment. His defensive effort for the Roosters first try on Friday was absolutely embarrassing.

6. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I reckon if you knew Hodkinson he'd tell you himself he's shot. Big test for Brown's credibility if he don't do something soon.

7. 88Knight4life

Kurri i cant agrue with u there, i dont like how his playing either! but is it part of the plan having lamb take more control? Not sure.

My point is that on those stats his middle of the pack....
    If u look at our middle none of them are middle of the pack in there field.

So calling out hodko weekly is making us forget the main resons we are losing the games which is our middle being dominated every week.

Remember the Canberra trial game?
    We played a second string side in the middle and dominated and on the back of that hodko was on fire and we put 44 points on the score board.... just pointing out the obvious reasons to why a half can look terrible in our team.

EASBay17 likes this.
  8. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If Cogger had had a injury free off season and was fit now, I think we'd already have a Cogger, Lamb combination in the halves.

9. member 2299

member 2299 Andrew 'Joey' Johns

Retired
    88 you are wasting your time. You know about the blind not wanting to see? Our forwards are pathetic and Cogger/Lamb would be not better.

10. 88Knight4life

U know i cant stop pleading my case of the obvious though mate, i keep the forums activity clicking over at the same time :lol:

@mozza

Rd1 vs warriors
    We made 1382m vs 1685m

Rd2 vs Titans
    We made 1466m vs 1357m ( they were half a team )

Rd3 vs Souths
    We made 1216m vs 1445m

Rd4 vs Panthers
    We made 1147m vs 2012m

Rd5 vs sharks
    We made 1178m vs 1847m

Rd6 vs dogs
    We made 1425m vs 1852m

Rd7 vs Roosters
    We made 1499m vs 1861m ( our back 5 made 750m )

Not 1 game we have been dominate in the middle.

11. Aidos

Aidos Jarrod Mullen

Really, if you think our forwards are the only reason Hodko has been poor than I don't know what to say to that. I don't think it's unfair to expect a bit better from our captain.

mozza and slotmachine like this.
  12. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Last time I checked lamb and hodko play behind the same pack.

Having a **** pack doesn't explain shoveling it off to a back rower under pressure to kick on the last.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    mozza and Aidos like this.
  13. 88Knight4life

Again im not happy with him either..... though to only point out hodko and not look at all the factors involved is utterly stupid.

Besides
    Gagai
    Ross
    Burher
    Sione

The rest have been way behind in there job of a nrl player.

Sign Foran for twice as much as hodko cause thats what it will cost and within a month this same convo will happen.. no half can perform well back to back week by week in a depressing team that is a joke.

None of our 8-17 would see nrl at most teams and thats our number 1 priority to fix...

14. not_perverse

not_perverse Con Mika

No-one is saying our forward pack is fantastic, but we have had plenty of good ball all the same - and Hodkinson consistently provides nothing when we do have it.

Good to see there's still some laughs to be had around here. Dead set defending the indefensible. Brock Lamb has been playing all over Hodkinson, and he's barely played 10 games of NRL. Stop making excuses for him - he is shot. Done. A spent force - of which there wasn't much force to begin with. You act like there are no moments in a game with which to judge him because the forwards are no good, but that's a load of absolute ****e. If he were playing well with the opportunities that he does get, then you get to make that argument. If he were kicking well, putting blokes through holes... doing anything AT ALL, you might have a point that we just don't get enough opportunities for him to do what he does. Mullen spent a lot of his career in this space. Hodkinson does absolutely nothing, provides absolutely nothing at any moment during any game except to look like a busted arse trying to get back in the line and letting blokes score around him at will. You could **** him off for nearly any of our backup options and not even notice that he's gone. It took me until about 20-30 minutes into the roosters game to figure out he was playing.

Good players, no matter how busted, want the ball at key moments. Hodkinson clearly doesn't have any belief left in his own ability out there whatsoever. He defers the most basic, simple tasks to those around him and generally tries to avoid play whenever possible. If this is the game plan - then it is purely to preserve what little health the guy does have - and to build a gameplan around a completely busted half that provides nothing is idiotic. Get rid of him now. Right now. He shouldn't play another game.

Our gameplan is to not kick on the 5th from close range... LOL... now I've heard it all. Just lock yourself out of the possibility of repeat sets, building pressure, etc. Did you think at all before you typed that?

mozza likes this.
  15. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Muir

I'm not giving the forwards a free pass 88'. Especially our supposed two big prospects. They are not aiming up at all. Our forwards get dominated every game.

But, they are not the reason why we are losing. We have lost by 4 points, 6 points, 1 point, 10 points and 18 points so far this year. In all of these games we have had chances to take down their end. The cronulla game was probably the game with the least chances in their half.

My point is, the forwards are getting murdered each game, but the D keeps turning up to somehow snuff out plays and keep us in the game, some of that has been the opposition we played not having their best day but that does not matter. We have kept scorelines close in D and given the attack every chance to get the job done.

Lamb shoulders some of this blame but he is a kid who is just making his way in to first grade. Hodkinson is our star signing, captain and halfback. The fact that time and again we put ourselves in to good attacking positions and come away with no result, no repeat set, no points, is not the forwards fault, it is the halves. Specifically one half that isn't doing anything for us.

16. 88Knight4life

Ummm yeah right....

So we are being monstered in the forwards but are still giving the attack every chance to get the job done??
    Righto.

17. not_perverse

not_perverse Con Mika

Ok Mr. Kicking-on-the-last-isn't-the-game-plan. What do you think our conversion rate within the oppositions 20m line is for getting a positive result? Forget the quantity of opportunities entirely and purely talk about it as a proportion of sets that we get in that field position to the proportion we get some sort of positive result from? It is absurdly low.

Do you actually think Brown has instructed us to not attempt to get repeat sets? Like, that's the game plan? I really would love to know your deeper thoughts on this pearler. You're kidding yourself deluxe if you think 7 tackle sets have anything at all to do with us not kicking on the 5th - we just lack leadership on the field. That's a much simpler explanation - that we can see real evidence for on the field. Your theory makes no sense under any interpretation of NRL rules I've ever seen in my life - and if that's Browns gameplan then maybe we should be looking at moving him on, too - because it's batshit crazy.

18. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Nobody is claiming the forwards are doing great but your refusal to see that Hodkinson is a huge reason (the main reason imo) for our poor performances makes the debate pointless. The fact neatly everyone else can see it and you don't is saying something.

19. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Muir

You must be watching a different game than me.

What I see is our forwards struggling to make ground down field, and struggling to hold the opposition from making too many yards. This gives us less chances down in their zone as we spend more time playing the field position game. It also gives them more scoring chances, but we have done well to hold teams out and make the game closer, give our attack every chance to win it for us.

But, once we do get our chance, we blow it and that, is on Hodkinson 80%, Lamb 20%.

You can't just pin this on the forwards and say if we had a better forward pack then Hodkinson would suddenly come to life. That's ridiculous. He has had plenty of chances where we commence our set down in their half. He shows nothing.

20. 88Knight4life

Mate im not backing hodko at all, clearly stated that at least 5 times in previous posts today.

U make very good points about his lack of a want to control the team and game around him in the parts he could have control of.

As for the 5th tackle in the op 20m zone its actually a norm for most teams atm to go to ground with ball in hand due to the 7tk set rule.

Its not the play id go with but it is the "safe play" which is something we seem to be running with.

We get hammered yet still dont chance our arm at all tbh.... why?

My whole points have been we cant just single out hodko in this!!

Our forwards a down right **** our structure is no better our thinking outside the square is non-existent and that isnt all on hodko.

Would i want him released if possible... yes 100%.
    Though id be sending 6 or 7 other players with him as well.