Herman Ese'ese

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by corunetes, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Buhrer for 20 mins than going to the backrow for 60m's is such a better use of the bench.

2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Alas Danny will not be an 80 minute player. For mine the Kiwis looked very flat and worried all match.

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Levi has looked very good for the Kiwis, every time he's run so far, the Kiwis get on the front foot. Member you've been on a Levi tirade ever since he made those 2 errors in quick succession in a game late in the season. You're probably right in that Levi will never be an 80 minute player, I'd have hoped he'd start showing signs of it after 50 games, although still many years in the game left to show improvement.

4. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Indeed Joshhh, indeed.

Apart from being so slight I get concerned over his back problems alas. Quality eighty minute hookers are few and far between and when Bedsy first spotted him i hoped he would make it.

Tasgirl likes this.
  5. Tubby

Tubby Willie Mason

There are plenty of good hookers in the NRL who don't play 80 mins, Granville, Koroisau, Damien Cook. Little hookers seem to get burnt out too fast with defence so you need them in bursts to play their best attacking footy

6. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Con Mika

Retired
    The dummy half sets the shape of the side when you chop and change it makes the team look disjointed and with limited interchange it isn't the best use of resources better to hide them like we do half backs for a period of defence to give them a rest.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Levi can either go 80 minutes and not do much, or go 40 or 50 minutes and scoot out of dummy half every chance he gets.
    He modelled his game on Luke and in NYC he was a match winner by playing hard for 40 minutes and often running 100 metres out of dummy half and scoring a push over try or 2 nearly every game.
    Danny Buderus taught him to choose his time to run and save his energy to play longer minutes, and he has been fair at that, and getting longer minutes over time.
    NZ want him to be a direct replacement for Luke, and have him going as hard as he can, and replacing him when he is spent.

We can use him either way. We have Buhrer and Griffin who can both do 20 minutes of hooker and another spell in the forwards - so we can bring Levi off the bench and let him go hard - or we can ask him to save his energy and go for 80, and go for a bit of a run if he spots a chance - like Bedsy taught him.

He is only 21, so it isn't impossible that he will build up a lot more stamina in the future. Most hookers seem to take on a bigger workload as they get into their middle to late 20s.

8. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Con Mika

Retired
    Aren't they reducing interchange again?

I think it's a trend that started under unlimited interchange of swapping hookers but I don't think it works I think your dummy half job it is to manage your team so your not burning one player out too much to get a consistent performance over 80 minutes and that includes themselves. Brownie was good at it as a player and choosing who got the ball and when so his team could play longer minutes I think he can impart that wisdom.

9. Billy

NZ just named Levi to start and Kodi Nikorima as the bench hooker.
    Looks like they'll ask him to play longer minutes this week, and use Nikorima for impact.

Barry Crush likes this.
  10. krustykraz

krustykraz Darren Forward

94m against Australia off the bench seems pretty good. did he play well? I didnt getvtonwatch the game.

11. Billy

He held his own against the best props in the world. He'll never be an exciting player, but he seems a reliable workhorse type, and we need that I think.

12. krustykraz

krustykraz Darren Forward

so
    Sounds good.
    If the Saifiti's, Lillyman & Ese just hold their own and run hard, Levi, Lamb, Watson and Ponga can create the magic.

Lefty likes this.