Garth Brennan named as new Titans coach

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Aug 13, 2017.

1. MisterLevy

MisterLevy Danny Levi

Titans + 2018 = Spoon

2. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Bloody dumb club.

3. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jarryd Hayne lashes out at critics following sacking of Titans coach Neil Henry

The Daily Telegraph
    An hour ago

JARRYD Hayne says the tipping point in his relationship with sacked Gold Coast coach Neil Henry was a media report which said the mentor didn’t support signing him.

The Titans fullback broke his silence on Wednesday over the ongoing dramas at the club, which saw Henry lose his job on Monday, just one week after Hayne declared he would leave the Gold Coast if the coach did not want him.

Hayne claimed articles by the Daily Telegraph’s own Paul Kent was the basis of the pair’s public falling out.

“(The tipping point was) when Paul Kent wrote that article,” he said.

“I thought if that comes out from Paul, if he (Henry) and Paul have that relationship, I’d rather that come from Neil rather than having a journalist write about it.

“For that to come out in the media instead of (Henry) coming up to me and talking about it ... it was a bit disappointing.

There was an article at the start of the year (regarding his attitude) and I felt if someone had an issue they could come up and talk to me rather than going to a journalist about it. That really upset me.

“For that to happen again pretty much took me over the edge. If you’ve got an issue with someone you take it up with them man-to-man, not through a journalist.”

Hayne said he had been left upset earlier this year when it was leaked to the media that he was fined by the Titans leadership group.

To see more leaked information reported in the media was Hayne’s breaking point.

He also alluded to issues among the team with constant changes to the line-up, claiming it “really hurt” the Titans.

Despite the drama that has engulfed the club in recent weeks, Hayne said yesterday that he wished his former coach all the best in the future.

“I wish Neil all the best,” Hayne said.

“I don’t hold grudges or anything like that. He’s a good guy and unfortunately it didn’t work out for the coach but I wish him all the best.”

Hayne is hopeful of returning from an ankle injury to play against Canterbury on Saturday.

Kent has indicated he will respond to Hayne’s verbal barrage on Wednesday night’s episode of NRL 360.

“I’m happy for Jarryd to have his say. I’ll be replying tonight on 360.

“This all came about because of some things I wrote in my columns for the The Saturday Telegraph and there will be more this week.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/595df568adc148b2c51f62f05bc4d03e

4. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Tosser.......so glad he's not at the Knights, has an ego that equals Mundine's.

MisterLevy, Beatell and packo like this.
  5. rhugh89

The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent responds to Jarryd Hayne’s accusations

Nick Campton, The Daily Telegraph
    August 23, 2017 7:33pm

THE Daily Telegraph’s own Paul Kent has hit back at accusations from Titans superstar Jarryd Hayne that former Gold Coast coach Neil Henry leaked information regarding Hayne’s problems at the embattled club.

Speaking on NRL 360 on Wednesday night, Kent revealed he contacted Henry in March to reveal his column would centre on Hayne’s lacklustre off-seasonbut had not spoken to him since.

“Beginning of the year I was tipped off by a couple of people as to Jarryd’s poor training efforts over the summer” Kent said.

“I rang Neil when I was going to write the story to tell him I was going to write the story. Neil pleaded with me not to write the story. He essentially tried to water it down.

“I haven’t spoken to Neil since that conversation until today.

“He was trying to get me not to write the column because he knew the problems it would cause with the problem child.”

Hayne lashed out at Henry at a press conference on Wednesday, claiming the relationship between coach and player began to disintegrate due to Hayne’s belief Henry was airing grievances through the media.

But Kent passionately denied the allegations and offered to make his phone records public to confirm his lack of contact with Henry over the last five months.

“I’ve tried to ring Neil since that column. He won’t answer my calls or return my calls. Because he’s got the ****s about what I wrote, because I wouldn’t water down and it would cause problems with Jarryd.

“As for the story I wrote two Saturdays ago, as I said, I have not spoken to Neil. But Jarryd’s got it in his head that Neil is feeding me all this stuff for some reason, to unsettle Jarryd.

“Let me say this, Jarryd has then accused the media of having to make stuff up to sell papers.

“He made that up, because I didn’t speak to Neil. I am quite prepared to put my phone records out there.”

“One of the journalists there today asked him, he said, before you told Michael Carayannis from the Telegraph that you’re prepared to walk out on the club if that’s the way they feel about it, did you speak to Neil first?

“He said ‘No, I didn’t’.

“So he likes it both ways, doesn’t he?”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2c09809d82fce9cae638125311cf2573

6. rhugh89

7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Be a man Turdburg and pay Henry, the innocent party, his year's wages. You got the Titans Board to do the dirty work, now pay up!

Tasgirl likes this.
  8. rhugh89

Garth Brennan named new Titans coach

Thu 19 Oct, 2017, 11:30am
    ‌‌‌NRL.com

Successful Penrith Panthers Intrust Super Premiership coach Garth Brennan has been named the new coach of the Gold Coast Titans.

Brennan led the Panthers to both the ISP title and an Intrust Super State Championship win this season and has been widely regarded as one of the best coaches outside the NRL for some time.

Brennan was named under-20s coach of the year at Penrith in 2012 and led that team to a National Youth Competition title in 2013, before winning titles with the Panthers' ISP team in 2014 and 2017.

He takes on the Titans role after Neil Henry was axed in August.

"I'm really thrilled about the opportunity I have now at the Gold Coast Titans," Brennan said.

"I'm excited by the current roster and quality of group that I am going to take control of.

"I really want to focus on developing from within, that's what I believe is my strength. It's what I take away from my two previous clubs, I want to work closely with the individuals, I want to get to know them and work together to build that culture that everybody talks about.

"My message will be pretty simple. I want the group to train, play hard and I want every team to know that they have played a tough Titans team."

Titans CEO Graham Annesley said the club's selection committee unanimously supported Brennan's appointment.

"Garth has definitely served his rugby league 'apprenticeship' and thoroughly deserves this opportunity," Annesley said.

"He not only has an impressive coaching record, he is also a very impressive person who will add a lot to the culture of the club. We are extremely pleased to have him on board.

"It is an exciting period for the club, and with a new ownership model also imminent, we can't wait for the 2018 season to get underway with Garth as our head coach."

http://www.nrl.com/garth-brennan-named-new-titans-coach/tabid/10874/newsid/113920/default.aspx

9. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Be interesting to see who his assistant coaches are.
    Matt Lantry might be packing his bags.

10. Billy

Brennan said in the press conference that he has been a mentor for players he has coached in the past and named the Mataútia brothers, Will Smith, Tyrone Roberts amongst others.
    Be interesting to see if he throws a lifeline to any of those.

11. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Tyrone robbo has gone to the WIRE.

12. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Pretty happy to see Brennan get a first grade coaching gig but it's a tough spot to be coaching the Titans. If he can survive the first year and get rid of Hayne and be able to keep Ash Taylor that'll set them in pretty good stead. It was definately a good decision to go with someone of his calibre. I just hope he doesn't have somewhat of a lack of success the way Rick Stone did. (And I swear that Foxsports article that had the video of him as a still I thought it was Stone for a second!)

And that ends any speculation about Wests trying to bring him in to replace Brown even though we have since re-signed him too.

13. Billy

Brennan is a very different person to most NRL coaches. You keep hearing the description "firm but fair" - which is code for hardarse. He was a police prosecutor and a qualified lawyer, so he basically had the job of sussing out criminals before the courts and putting the view of the police to the courts. In his interview yesterday he talked about getting to know players and their backgrounds and understanding where they come from, and that is what he does, but don't be fooled into thinking that means he is soft on them. He has zero tolerance for anything like drug use etc.

14. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Very, very brave Brennan.

15. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    If that is the case I hope he makes his mark pretty much immediately. The thing that always worries me about new coaches with next to zero first grade experience is they often dont think about the idea that they're coaching guys who make more money then them and in some cases, have 'personalities', 'egos' etc. Older guys who are set in their ways who have been around a while. The Titans could be a perfect example of the players running the show. The Cowboys before Green came there had a similar issue, the Tigers before they punted Farah and Marshall also had a similar issue.
    This then leads to coaches getting chewed up and spat out.