Forward Reshuffle

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Joel, May 5, 2018.

1. Joel

Joel Touche...

Tonight Brown interestingly reshuffled a few of the forward spots from this...

11. Fitz
    12. Guerra
    13. Barnett

To this.

11. Barnett
    12. Fitz
    13. Guerra

What are our thoughts on the swapping of Guerra to lock and Barnett to the left edge? Is anyone thinking this be a good long term option? Fitz has my heart no matter which side he plays on tbh.

Here I was thinking Brown was gonna keep persisting with Barny at lock with pretty **** form so it's good we have a little shake up to give him room to run rampant in. Now don't get me wrong, he hasn't been great but tonight I saw him showing a lot more prowess with the ball compared to the middle. Quite frankly he is better off bullying the opposition on the edges because he was outmonstered a bit too frequently at lock anyway. In attack Barny trumps Guerra and in defense Guerra trumps Barny, so all in all I think it's a smart play by Brown. While I know Guerra ain't a wrecking ball by any means he is Mr. Straightface and I'm sure he and Griffin will prove to be a super vanilla yet effective tandem in D.

Battler likes this.
  2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Guerra not doing many runs and trying to clean up the defence on both sides seemed like a good plan, and at times it seemed to be working, but at other times the whole thing seemed disorganised.

Fitz had a great game except for the first 10 minutes, when he was no where to be seen in defence when those first few tries were scored.

Barnett mucked up our left side, which has been our really slick attack, but Fitz improved the hell out of the right side, so it kind of balanced out.

If we stick with it, I think it will work better as guys get used to their new roles.

3. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Julian Bailey

I think Barnett is better suited playing out wide. He has more skill to his game then he's been showing playing in the middle and can run a great line too. I was worried about splitting up Ponga and Fitzy on the left edge but as long as Ponga's going to ballplay on both sides of the field it should be alright. Definitely didn't help our edge defence on either side last night, but Toohey hinted that Brown sees Guerra as a middle forward long term so the band-aid had to be ripped off at some point.

4. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Guerras fatigue factor playing lock is something that hurts us. He is trying to be everywhere in d. The blokes around him need to learn it's a team sport and bloody help. I think yates should be in the team at lock tbh. Might not be a man mountain but he defends well and could ball play at a pinch and become the roaming forward with second phase play. The only way we win is if we score big points. Can't rely on our d.

Wobbles likes this.
  5. Jdawg

Jdawg David Boyd

I’d like to see Yates start at lock with Barnett on the bench, Yates off after 30, Guerra to lock and Barnett to the right. Depending on how the second half unfolds dictates when Yates comes back and who he replaces. We look so much better in D when he is out there, and Barnett could cause some issues for teams when fresh on an edge.
    Just my 2c

6. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

When we signed Guerra i hopex that he would be brought in to play lock, our D is the biggest issue and he does a fark load of cleaning up.
    So im very happy with this change.
    Barnett hasnt impressed me much at all at lock this yr and most of last yr.
    So hopefully he gets into a groove on the edge, having two hard running backrowers for Ponga/Pearce/watson/coggar/lamb to be a attacking weapon on either side is a win win for the team going forward.
    Guerra is a big unit to, id think he's as big as Fitzgibbon maybe bigger tbh.

7. G-unit

G-unit David Boyd

I think Barnett to edge 2nd rower sets a bad precedent in moving forward.
    He has been in dismal form albeit returning from injury, and now is rewarded with the left 2nd rower spot which Fitz has easily made his own. Ponga and Fitz to the left has been amazing and I understand they replicated that same sequence last night for a try but at what cost?

Guerra has been solid without setting the world on fire on the right so far but has played with several different halves on his side in Watson, Lamb, Cogger and Watson again. Timing in attack is surely affected with a lack of continuity on that side.

If I were Guerra, could I just play **** like Barnett for a couple of games and be rewarded with the left edge 2nd row?

8. Levil Kinevil

Levil Kinevil Slappin the bass mon

baker
    The one thing that really bothers me is that we can’t get our bench rotation right. Just can’t seem to get it right. Every good side seems to have a set rotation but we seem to just swap and odd times and with any real strategy

9. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

Barnett seemed to be more dangerous in the edge than what Guerra has been, Guerra doesn’t offer many metres up the middle though.

Could work out imo and it’s good to see Brown is happy to change things if he sees an opportunity.

The more and more I watch us play the more it hurts we missed out on signing Finucane last year, especially now that Brown wants Barnett on the edge.

10. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

The problem Brown seems to have is Barnett, Fitz and Guerra are best in second row, Esee would be best at 13 with Dan and Lillyman, sadly lacking at prop and JSaf not quite with it. If you drop Barnett, Fitz or Guerra to bench what of Buhrer. Think he is trying to keep his experienced proven forwards in the game and hoping it all clicks while Yates and King perform well in reserves. It's time for some serious decision making, bring in new blood, give them all a shake up, first step Lillyman out for Yates or King, JSaf , Barnett and Heighinton walking the thin line, IMO

11. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Danny Levi

Retired
    We have had too many similar players on field at once at times and sometimes you need a bit of difference and I think this gives us a look at that

12. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Charlie McAlister

Project Manager
    88 ' there is no doubt Guerra will improve our D based on the try saver highlighted last week, the amount of cover he does behind the front line is incredible, "one on one" his" ball and all" primarily contains most off loads, but the important thing is that the first support tackler needs to hit legs and third in needs to hit ribs to stop forward momentum ( post contact metres ).

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

With Griffin and Levi both in this week, Griffin will probably be at lock for 30 or 40 minutes and Yates seems like lock is his best position as well.
    I can't think how we can fit Guerra, Griffin and Yates all into lock.
    If Fitz is out i'd put Guerra into the second row, Yates to starting lock and Buhrer to the bench.

Anyway, I can't see how the forward rotation is going to work tonight - too many small locks - too few big props.

14. Levil Kinevil

Levil Kinevil Slappin the bass mon

baker
    Thats been my concern aswell. we have lacked a balanced bench for too long now

15. roger88

roger88 Tim Maddison

Josh King and Luke Yates should be told to go out there and do some damage, if they are likely to go back to reserves within the next few weeks they have nothing to lose.

16. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Griffin spent a fair bit of time on the bench when Levi last played.

17. Rob

Rob James Goulding

Think they're just trying to shore up the middle of field. Nothing else has worked.

slotmachine likes this.
  18. Simon Templar

Project Manager
    Billy not sure what Brownie is up to although it is obvious he is trying to clogg the middle up , we know Guerra can do that , cause it was the same defensive role he had at the Rooters ( they were and are still short one good prop ) , he is a good talker and reads attackers well in advance, problem is how the support around him react - maybe the smaller boys are nippier and will engage earlier with required assistance without being bumped off.

19. Simon Templar

Project Manager
    This weekends rotations may add more to the puzzle which is unwinding with the forwards rotation.