Footy Shows

rhugh89

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Fatty axed from NRL Footy Show as Channel Nine revamps format

PHIL ROTHFIELD, The Daily Telegraph
4 minutes ago

NRL television stalwart Paul ‘Fatty’ Vautin is being punted from Channel Nine’s Footy Show after 23 years and 11 Logies.

The longest-serving host on Australian television will be restricted to commentary box duties at live NRL games in 2018 with the network to groom glamorous star Erin Molan as his replacement.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal The Footy Show will be expanded next year to broadcast in a new timeslot on Monday night, then Thursday night and Sunday lunchtime.

The move to replace 58-year-old Vautin and promote Molan is a tactical manoeuvre by the network to win back female fans who have deserted the Footy Show and switched to Fox Sports where Yvonne Sampson heads up an impressive line-up of women presenters.

Nine’s Footy Shows ratings have slipped to an all-time low this year, often to as bad as 80,000 viewers compared to the halcyon days when it regularly pulled in audiences of around 370,000.

Vautin is on a family holiday in the United States and did not return phone calls or text messages.

The futures of the stars of the show remain uncertain.

The highest paid panellist Beau Ryan has two years to run on his contract.

Vautin and Molan are both free agents at the end of the 2018 season.

Darryl ‘Big Marn’ Brohman is off contract now.

“I’ve just left it with my manager,” Brohman said yesterday, “None of us have been told what’s happening.”

Officially Channel Nine is saying the Footy Show is being revamped because the network will be showing 23 live Thursday night NRL games next year.

Costs are too high to justify or invest in the late-night timeslot with the lack of advertisers.

While Nine has been in a steady decline, Fox Sports continues to grow its rugby league audience for live games, pre-game, with the Matty Johns Show, NRL 360, League Life and The Professor.

They recently parted company with Peter Sterling, whose show was the only one in the Fox Sports stable to struggle for ratings. He will be returning to Channel 9.

Long-time executive producer Glenn Pallister is also moving on under the revamp.

The show is now under the care of Director of Sport Tom Malone instead of light entertainment.

Ironically Vautin always predicted Molan would one day host the show.

Two years ago he said: “I just turn up at 8.30 every Thursday night, put my bum on the seat and do my best.

“I have noticed in the last three years she (Erin) has moved from being part time, to being right down the end of the panel, she moved up one last year, and now she has moved up another one this year. So I think the writing is on the wall for me.”

Nine executives stress that Vautin will remain on the network in a commentary role for at least next year. “He is rated very highly in the broadcast box,” said one source.

The new show will be less humour and more football.

Where that leaves funny man Beau Ryan remains to be seen.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/2d77d716bd3a1408706459568d62182b

Less humour?

It was always pretty poor standard of humour with the fat man and the big man involved!

10 years too late but Molan taking over is even worse. Won't be watching still

I used to be a believer, I would watch & still find it mildly entertaining, but 2 years ago I stopped because I just didn't think it was good enough for me to waste a couple hours of my night to watch anymore. I don't have fox sports but I catch clips every now & then on articles & youtube & it clearly is more entertaining both humour wise & football wise. Erin Molan is a terrible choice to continue on with, very boring, I would rather watch Fatty than her but respect their choice to finally move on, their show needs a change. Sunday footy show goes alright & the old Sunday Roast was good.

Good decision, Fox is kicking 9's backside in serious NRL coverage.

Fatty is the larrikin though I think if given the chance to helm a no nonsense footy show he would do well at it. The thing stopping that happening is the fatty stigma, that he is nothing but a larrikin.

As for Erin taking over to push the female agenda 9 are a little too late to the table and should have done this when they had Yvonne Sampson on their books. Erin to me does not com across with very much conviction or authority on a subject, I don't know what it is but she strikes me insincere, kind of quirky. Hard to quatify it but thats kind of it. Where as with Yvonne she comes across to me genuine, honest, knowledgeable.

Haven't watched the show in years, Fatty was good first of, ex player, funny, genuine knowledge of the game but alas time passes us by, he became stale and surrounded by the old brigade, was no longer relevant to the increasing younger fans.
He was a very good footballer, coach? And personality but time has passed him by, like all of us, so long Fatty.

I think Fatty is a good ol’ crack up, but the show itself is just bland and more so about other things that are completely unnecessary and unrelated to why people want to be watching.

It’s about time they got rid of him hopefully Gould and Hadley will be next haven’t watched footy on 9 for years (except origin and finals)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox Sports Matty Johns Show runs over Nine’s Footy Show in TV ratings

Phil Rothfield, The Sunday Telegraph
March 10, 2018 8:00pm

MATTY Johns has scored a convincing round-one win over his brother Andrew and Channel Nine’s new-look Footy Show in the rugby league ratings war.

Head-to-head figures from last Thursday night’s season kick-off reveal the Matty Johns Show on Fox Sports increased its audience by a whopping 22 per cent on the opening show of 2017.

At the same time Nine’s Footy Show, with Erin Molan replacing “Fatty” Vautin in the hosting chair, fell 8 per cent in the key Sydney and Brisbane markets.

Nationally the fall was greater.

It was a similar story with the live football and the coverage of the Dragons-Broncos game.

Fox Sports went up 13 per cent year on year, while Nine fell 7 per cent in the five-city metro markets which equates to about 50,000 viewers.

Channel 9 has come under fire for its first episode of the Footy Show in 23 years without Fatty in the chair.

Interestingly they lost the bulk of their viewers in Fatty’s home state of Queensland.

New host Molan did a fine job under difficult circumstances. The set looked terrible and like a flashback to the Don Lane days.

“Joey” was so disappointed after the show that he fronted producers afterwards about his future role on the show.

Normally Johns is up for a chat on any topic.

When I phoned him on Saturday to talk about the Footy Show, he said: “Sorry mate, no comment.”

So we rang Nine’s director of sports Tom Malone, who said: “We’re already making improvements for round two, and we’re excited about a great year ahead on the Footy Show.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/fb8b48d15ea2284a15592c83e9b2e937

Chanel 9 commentators was why I would watch it on Fox.

If they realised fatty wasn’t the problem then I’d feel sorry for them.

Sucked in for employing based on political correctness thinking the fact it needed a female host.

Chanel 9 commentators was why I would watch it on Fox.

If they realised fatty wasn’t the problem then I’d feel sorry for them.

Sucked in for employing based on political correctness thinking the fact it needed a female host.

Token females everywhere.

Anti Ads from the early 2000s will always be the best footy show part
Stuff you may have missed with Vossy was also quality
Their house with Girdler also had good moments
Reg was always good for a bit of a laugh too

I don't think I've watched it for more then a minute here and there in 10 years
And I probably haven't watched it in full since Sterlo, Fat, Matty and Chief did it

The footy player thing doesn't work in this day and age.
The AFL footy show and other shows that have popped up have a mixture of professional comedians, journalists and footy players.
I haven't watched for 10 or 15 years, but it needs some slick media professionals to cut it in this century - not a bunch of boofheads doing amateur skits.

The moment channel 9 sacked Johns due to pressure from a PC vocal minority, I knew they had made a huge mistake. But it wasnt until Matty had signed a deal with Fox that I realized that it could become a fatal error

Good riddance to those sell outs. If you sell your soul to people who dont support you, then you deserve every bit of failure that comes your way

Back