Crocker warns of more Injuries in 2008

Ms.Nobody

Banned
For once, I have to agree with him. Dropping the interchange with clubs will keep big boys on and we might see more injuries throughout. Which could be very frustrating for everyone.

MELBOURNE Storm firebrand Michael Crocker has warned the NRL its interchange reduction will put the game's big men at greater risk of injury this year.
With just over a week until rugby league's centenary season kicks off, Crocker, recovering from reconstructions on both shoulders, fears the big men will be rubbed out of the game after the number of interchanges was cut from 12 to 10 in the off-season

The reduction was introduced in an effort to stem the number of top-flight stars suffering serious injuries.

It was hoped the move would create space for playmakers, with less changes keeping players on the field longer and fatiguing them more. However, Crocker labelled the move unnecessary and said it will only cause more injuries.

"I suppose they have their reasons. I think 12 was fine. We will be loo king at some more injuries this year," Crocker said. "Obviously the big blokes are going to have to stay out there a bit longer than they usually would.

"That's another risk of getting injured. Once you are fatigued, you are at more risk of injuring yourself, whether it is bad technique or even soft-tissue sort of stuff."

Read More on the Storm Here

What do you all think?

i dont think it will make that much difference to be honest 12 was to many and 10 probably is aswell maybe it should 8 or even 6 with less intwerchanges it will be more exciting because there will be tired forwards more space for the backs

I see injuries as a luck sort of thing. At least 5 top players get injured every year in the NRL. We could go through each year when at least 5 havent been fit that are well known players.

I dont think it will cause serious injurys. It will just enforce player burnout on the forwards which we dont want to see either. It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Surely ten should be enough though ?

The only time I can really see ten not being enough is during rep matches, that is where players will struggle the most.

It's the best move in ages to reduce it, and they should have reduced it by more. Six would be best. No way on earth is it going to lead to more injuries, players will get more tired as the game goes on, they will slow down and there will be less chance of injury. It will also open the game up for the little players in the final twenty minute of the match, the way it should be.

~knights1~ said:
so we want to go back to the "blowout " high scores again

No, I think the hope is we will get matches like last year (quite tight, not a lot of scoring) that open up in the final ten or twenty, allow teams to show their attacking flair and the match is decided at that stage.

Let's face it, last year was a little low scoring and boring.

jamesgould said:

Not for teams facing us :lol:

I have to agree with James, its a good idea. People whinged that 12 used to be not enough when it was first introduced.

jamesgould said:
~knights1~ said:

No, I think the hope is we will get matches like last year (quite tight, not a lot of scoring) that open up in the final ten or twenty, allow teams to show their attacking flair and the match is decided at that stage.

But the reduction is 2 interchanges wont alter the game that much (interms of blowouts).
Titans/Cowboys could really take advantage.

I diagree with bringing it down to 6. 8 should be the absoulte minimum.

knight-no-7 said:
jamesgould said:
~knights1~ said:

But the reduction is 2 interchanges wont alter the game that much (interms of blowouts).
Titans/Cowboys could really take advantage.

I diagree with bringing it down to 6. 8 should be the absoulte minimum.

I like six because it would in effect make two of the replacements permanent ... so the coaches really have to think about it. The other two replacements are temporary ... would be fascinating to follow the tactics of it all.

Back