Craig Bellamy re-signs with the Storm

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, May 22, 2018.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From Fox Sports

THE Broncos have secretly approached Storm premiership-winning coach Craig Bellamy about returning to Brisbane to take over from Wayne Bennett on a four-year deal worth more than $5 million.

In a bombshell development, Fox Sports can reveal the Broncos have been in negotiations with Bellamy for at least the past month.

The move casts a shadow of uncertainty on the future of seven-time premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett, who is contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season.

Fox Sports has been told the Broncos have discussed Bellamy returning to Red Hill to take over as early as next season — which could mean Bennett being asked to walk away from the club.

But the exact timing of Bellamy’s possible appointment the top job at the Broncos remains unclear. He could feasibly sit out the 2019 season and then take over when Bennett’s contract expires at the end of next season.

The news will have huge ramifications at both clubs, with the Storm currently in negotiations to try and convince Bellamy to remain in Melbourne beyond this year.

The Broncos are currently in the midst of the longest premiership drought in the club’s history while the Storm have been considered the benchmark club during Bellamy’s tenure.

With $12 million sitting in the bank, the Broncos are one of the most powerful club’s in the NRL and basically have an open cheque book when it comes to signing a head coach.

Ironically, Bellamy started his career at the Broncos in 1998 after being approached by Bennett to take the role as the club’s head conditioner at a barbecue at Kevin Walters’ house in Brisbane.

Bellamy then served five years under the seven-time premiership-winner, with the plan always being for Bellamy to one day take control at Red Hill.

That dream ended when Bellamy moved to the Storm and built a ruthless juggernaut in the Victorian capital.

In their tenure as head coaches, Bellamy and Bennett have locked horns on numerous occasions over the Storm’s style of tactics.

They have fallen out time and again, most notably when Alex McKinnon was left in a wheelchair in 2014.

At the Melbourne Storm, Bellamy has been conditioning his assistant coach Adam O’Brien to take over for the past couple of years and Melbourne have a ready-made replacement if the head coach decides to leave.

Bellamy’s record is the best of any coach in the NRL.

Since taking control at the Melbourne Storm in 2003, Bellamy has coached 406 NRL games for 275 wins, 129 losses and two draws for a 67.7 per cent win ratio.

The Melbourne Storm coach is 58-years-old and has led the Storm to premierships in 2012 and 2016.

Bennett, 68, who started coaching in 1987 with the Canberra Raiders before taking control at the Broncos in 1988, will coach his 800th NRL match against the Parramatta Eels on Thursday night at Suncorp Stadium.

The coach who guided the Broncos to premierships in 1992, 93, 97, 98, 2000 and 2006 has coached 799 matches for 495 wins, 290 losses and 14 draws for a 62 per cent win ratio.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/76773e65213227f5ff7e6ba8a86faf0c

Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Said at the start of the season that Bennett wont be coach of Brisbane in 2019. Bout time he got booted.

3. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    You’ve said a lot of things at the start of lots of seasons.

4. rhugh89

Wayne Bennett fronts media over speculation Brisbane are chasing Craig Bellamy

EDITOR ON DUTY
    A minute ago

WAYNE Bennett is adamant he will be coaching Brisbane next year, and says the Broncos’ pursuit of Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy was done with his approval.

A candid Bennett fronted the media on Wednesday over reports Bellamy was set to replace him at the Broncos.

Bennett said he had originally suggested the club approach Bellamy but was unaware CEO Paul White had already spoken to the Storm coach, whose contract expires at the end of the year.

One thing is certain: Bennett does not intend to step aside and let Bellamy take the clipboard for next season.

“No, I’m staying here in 2019. That was always agreed upon. That was not part of the discussion,” he said.

Bennett said he was determined to coach on but at his age, added that health has was now an added concern for him.

“I was part of a conversation about a month ago which I organized with the chairman Paul White to talk about our future going forward here as a club. It was all part of the discussion there.,” Bennett said.

“I told Paul we want to get the best coach possible for this club.

“There is a factor for me with health and age and I’ve got to make sure I’m capable of doing the job. I am right now.

“The way I feel now, I feel great physically, mentally, and I’m not going to be defined by my age. I may well want to coach later on but if the club doesn’t see that’s relevant then I’ll coach somewhere else.”

Bennett was adamant he and Bellamy would not work alongside one another next year if the Broncos decided to move on Melbourne’s mentor.

“I was part of the discussion and I said we’d be silly not to look at Craig who is coming off contract, but the difficulty for him is he’d have to sit out a year and no club’s going to sign him for one year.”

“I initiated it. I’ve got to be a bit honest in life. You can’t just sit here and think it’s all good – and I don’t want it unfolding without having some control over it, without me being able to be part of it. I’ve spent 25 years of my life here.

“I think it will unfold early next year. Next year would be an appropriate time for me. I’ve got to make sure I’m in good health and all that type of stuff. I’m not getting any sillier with coaching I can tell you – it’s a job you continually learn on, and learn at.

“I’ve been good enough all these years to make sure I haven’t taken a position that I know everything, because I don’t. I’ve been improving myself and at this point in my life I’ve still got a lot to offer. But that’s another decision.”

Bennett refused to rule out taking up a coaching role at another team and also revealed that the Broncos had held internal discussion about several coaches, including current assistant coach Jason Demetriou and Queensland coach Kevin Walters.

“I will at the end of the day (consider coaching another club). I don’t want to, but if that happens then I will consider,” he said.

“I’ve already had a couple of offers, so it’s not that the door’s closed on me. It’s not.

“As I said, I want to stay here, I want to work here but I also want to do the right thing by this club.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/e7a0c1da50f9c1cbc2ec372e1f1f1815

5. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    I think both Bennett and the Broncos are as bad as each other. Everyones predictably coming out and batting for the agendas that they represent. Certain members of the medi,a former players, former coaches/players who worked under Bennett.

The Broncos have built an aura of high standards being the Broncos and having the benefit of being a big market team in one state so they feel every move has to justify those high standards such as say putting pressure on the one coach who won you six premiereships just because he hasn't even come close to winning one aside from one more play before full time in a Grand Final three years ago. Similar things happened in 2005 when he nearly replaced Ricky Stuart at the Roosters because the Broncos board had a lack of faith in him because he hadn't won a premiereship since 2000. It doesn't matter whether youve been there for one week or 25 years. For The Broncos you're only as good as the premiereships you bring and that's why they've axed two coaches since Bennett left and one to bring him back. So I get why sections of the media find it sad Bennett has to answer to the rumours.

But as some of his former understudy's have pointed out Bennett only cares about his record and the money he makes and his coaches/teams are only as good as the success Bennett brings to the team. He is far from a saint either when it comes to the revolving door of the coaching circus that is the NRL. So Bennett doing the same thing with Walters despite his loyalty and service is no surprise.

Tasgirl likes this.
  6. Ethan

Ethan Sean Rudder

Anyone seen the little hand tap between the ref and bronco's player last night when the ref gave the bronco's a penalty instead of Parra a try ( bloody cheats )

7. packo

Government
    Haha nah I’ll have to see that. It’s funny how they keep winining.

8. Ethan

Ethan Sean Rudder

Yeah i saw it on Factbook bloody disgusting

9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Fight you b****ards fight!

Who cares they are both cheats.

10. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Klein and TPJ high-fived after a penalty was awarded. Should be suspended for touching a ref. Rigged. Cheats. Absolute bollocks.

packo likes this.
  11. rhugh89

12. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

13. rhugh89

He didn't turn his hand, He just held it out ???

Maybe I'm seeing something different

14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Not sure about this, doesn't look quite right,maybe it's just me not wanting to believe it, reserve judgement

15. packo

Government
    TPJ is a first class wank. Some of his reactions in plays are pathetic.

Looks like Klein snubbed his high 5 to be hinest

16. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

The Mole is claiming Bellamy will sign a 3yr $5.1 million deal to stay at the Storm.

packo likes this.
  17. krustykraz

krustykraz Steve Linnane

God damn thats some cash

packo likes this.
  18. packo

Government
    I think he is worth it, for the Storm. If they lose him it could go south real quick.

19. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 10:39 AM
  20. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Will wait and see, hard to believe, to many if and buts