Corey Payne

relicorange94

John Morris
Heard that Corey Payne has resigned as Panthers CEO...think he'd be a good CEO for the Knights when Matt Gidley resigns when new ownership comes. Thoughts?

Don't know much about him but the fact he only lasted a couple of months in charge at Penrith doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Don't think anything will happen until the NRL grab the 12 mill that is being talked about. Then it will be up to the new owner/consortium.

Don't know much about him but the fact he only lasted a couple of months in charge at Penrith doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Exactly. I'd love to get hardnosed CEO with a great track record. Hopefully our new owner won't mind paying top $ for the right people in the right positions.

COREY Payne will today announce that he is quitting as Panthers chief executive – but make no mistake, he was ‘asked’ to leave.
Payne was only appointed in April but the Penrith board put its foot down after Payne upset officials and players with his performance since taking the reins.
Not even Phil Gould’s pleas could save the former Bulldogs, Tigers and Dragons forward as the board put its foot down.
“He was all show and no go,” one Panthers official explained to me.
“He came in and tried to tell us how to run the place with no experience in managing a football club – it did not go down well.”
Among other things, Payne wanted to fly business class in an economy class era, gave bizarre speeches to players and alienated figures within the club with his strange media release when the Panthers failed to get a World Cup game.
The club will begin its search for a replacement immediately.
BIG NO

COREY Payne will today announce that he is quitting as Panthers chief executive – but make no mistake, he was ‘asked’ to leave.
Payne was only appointed in April but the Penrith board put its foot down after Payne upset officials and players with his performance since taking the reins.
Not even Phil Gould’s pleas could save the former Bulldogs, Tigers and Dragons forward as the board put its foot down.
“He was all show and no go,” one Panthers official explained to me.
“He came in and tried to tell us how to run the place with no experience in managing a football club – it did not go down well.”
Among other things, Payne wanted to fly business class in an economy class era, gave bizarre speeches to players and alienated figures within the club with his strange media release when the Panthers failed to get a World Cup game.
The club will begin its search for a replacement immediately.
BIG NO

Not exactly a glowing endorsement :lol:

Heard that Corey Payne has resigned as Panthers CEO...think he'd be a good CEO for the Knights when Matt Gidley resigns when new ownership comes. Thoughts?

I'm more interested in why you think he'd be a good CEO when the above article suggests he's shyte.

"gave bizarre speeches to players and alienated figures within the club with his strange media release when the Panthers failed to get a World Cup game."
Was more referring to this part Bill!

Billy if you knew the family, Perc got things up and running during his time at Wyndham Estate but you have to give Brian credit for his achievements.

"gave bizarre speeches to players and alienated figures within the club with his strange media release when the Panthers failed to get a World Cup game."
Was more referring to this part Bill!
A few fans seem to not like McGuigan because he is apparently a less than fantastic public speaker, but I doubt there is anyone at the club with a bad word to say about him.
That would be like Bill Gates wanting to be our number one ticket holder and us telling him we don't like guys with glasses.

So one of the most respected businessmen in Australia, a self made man worth 100s of millions, and a guy who gives his time to the Knights for free?

100's of millions? Sell him the joint and let him unleash his magic.

A few fans seem to not like McGuigan because he is apparently a less than fantastic public speaker, but I doubt there is anyone at the club with a bad word to say about him.
That would be like Bill Gates wanting to be our number one ticket holder and us telling him we don't like guys with glasses.
It was all a bit tongue in cheek Bill! I never said I don't like the bloke, although I am not sure if I do! This isn't Billy McGuigan is it?

This isn't Billy McGuigan is it?
This is someone who thinks it's crazy that McGuigan seems to get hatred for volunteering in his 80s to help the club out.
The reason the club has him on board is that he is the exact opposite to Tinkler. He is a guy who worked for decades to build huge, successful businesses and pretty much make the Hunter Valley famous for it's wine, and along the way he looked after all his employees and family.
If he decides to walk away because fans don't like him, he won't lose a thing, but the club basically shoots itself in the face.

All McGuigan gives us is basically his good name, and after we got the stink of Tinkler about us, this is the biggest thing we needed.
All I think he does, a decade or more after he retired as a businessman, is drink wine and eat good food with anyone we want to impress, but just having his name on the place is invaluable to a club that stank to high heaven after Tinkler.

Last edited:
Back