Browny's Gameplan

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Left Foot, Apr 23, 2017.

1. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Who's decision was it to go for the 2 points? Brown's or the captains?

I felt after that we just went back in the motions and never looked like having the momentum we did early in the game. I could have even lived with it if we had a crack and didn't get the try, just don't kill the momentum and put pressure on the other team going on the attack!!!
    8 points isn't going to win us footy games

If that was Brown's choice then I thought he would have learnt from the last few weeks, it's not the first time it's happened.

Now that Hodkinson has gotten a wake up call to get it together and play like he wants to lead the team around the park do people expect him back in first grade?

2. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Glenn Grief

I hope not, but really, who else is doing a better job then Hodkinson?

Feeney isn't really working to be honest.

We really are ruined at halfback.

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Feeney's had 1 game, give him a chance before we write him off for the short term. Hokko can either go 2 ways, he continues to play bad & stays in Cup, or he decides he wants to stand up & takes his position back. Brown said whether he gets picked in the NRL side again will be judged on his performance, so that gives Hokko the opportunity to lift his game, rather than being stuck in Cup no matter what like with Uate & Stockwell.

88Knight4life likes this.
  4. EASBay17

EASBay17 Rodney Howe

Feeney has shown with every chance he has been given that he isnt NRL standard. hodkinson will be back in the top grade sooner rather than later, i do have a feeling Brown will keep the captaincy with sione and allow hodkinson to play his own game.

beau likes this.
  5. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

Look I'm not going to head up the Feeney defence but he's had limited chances in FG in his preferred position and he's here for this year so we might as well see what he's got. Lamb looks like he might be struggling a little maybe bringing Hodko back and giving a Lamb a spell in reserves might be an option. It would A bring back some experience in the halves B give Lamb a chance to build some confidence again and C give Feeney more time in FG to get a larger sample size to see what he's got.

Also once Cogger is back I'd also give him some game time maybe in the last quarter of the year ?

I watch Feeney and think 'there's a good footballer in there somewhere'. It reminds me of watching Wade Graham play for Penrith, you could tell he was a good footballer but just wasn't clicking at the time ......

6. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Agree,
    I said last week that they need to give him at least a month to find his groove and gel with the boys around him on the field.
    Hodko needs to really be making noise in reggies before he comes back to firsts.

Jaybro likes this.
  7. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

What's more beneficial for us, having Hodko play reggies or resting his knee ?

A player like Hodko doesn't need time in reggies IMO to prove himself and with his knee I think a few weeks resting it would be better than him ......

8. 88Knight4life

Nothing wrong with his knee mste!
    Its all mind over body and confidence for hodko.

9. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Glenn Grief

Since when?

10. Tubby

Tubby Willie Mason

He came out and said himself

11. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Glenn Grief

12. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Glenn Grief

Well that removes any inkling of consideration towards his form being a byproduct of having a crap knee.

13. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He also said he had the best pre-season ever. I'd be surprised if we see Hodko again and he'll leave by the end of the season.

14. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

It's well documented he has a bad knee and Barry Toohey as said he's knee is giving him troubles. Trent can't really come out and say my knee is stuffed I can barely run on it, but I'm going to hang in to get paid can he ?

What's the reason he can't kick in general play then?

15. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

NRL: Newcastle coach Nathan Brown’s promise to Knights fans in 2018

July 5, 2017 5:09pm
    Source: AAP

NEWCASTLE fans can expect to finally get the consistent NRL side they desperately crave next season, according to coach Nathan Brown.

Brown has found himself under pressure after Knights chairman Brian McGuigan responded to Sunday’s “embarrassing” 33-12 loss to Wests Tigers with a public warning that results must improve.

In his second season and contracted until the end of 2018, Brown could also have new owners at the helm during his deal after a report emerged that the purchase of the NRL-run club by Wests Newcastle was imminent.

Sunday’s loss dropped the Knights back to last on the NRL ladder, and they need at least two wins from their final nine games to have any chance of avoiding a third straight wooden spoon.

Brown took online questions from Newcastle fans on Wednesday morning, and insisted there had been signs of improvement from last season - when their average points differential was -20.6 compared with -11.1 per game this season.

“The job I took at the Knights wasn’t one where you’re going to ladder-watch in the first 18 months or two years just because of the age of our squad,” Brown said.

“We are consistently far better than last year but not quite good enough at the NRL level to get a result.

“When will we be consistent? I would have thought another pre-season with us growing again as players and if we can get a similar improvement to what we got this year.”

Brown partially pinned the season results on the pre-season losses of captain Jarred Mullen (drug ban), and newly-recruited hooker Rory Kostjasyn (throat), while fullback Dylan Phythian (knee) was ruled out for the year in their first game.

“We basically lost our hooker, five-eighth and fullback at or before round one,” Brown said.

“That’s had a big effect on us - I think we would have definitely picked up some more wins.”

Recruits Jamie Buhrer and Anthony Tupou - each with State of Origin experience - have also been sidelined, compounding the lack of leadership for younger players.

However he has promised good news for Knights fans in the short-term, with a number of player signings in the coming weeks to go alongside those of Aidan Guerra, Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Kalyn Ponga.

“There might not be what people call marquee signings, but certainly good players who are going to improve our squad a lot,” Brown said.

“With those people coming into our squad to help the young guys grow again, we can see the young guys grow going forward.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/knights/nrl-newcastle-coach-nathan-browns-promise-to-knights-fans-in-2018/news-story/864d5a69ce74b1d6610210cff13a929a

16. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

1-Kick penalty goal
    2-????
    3-Profit.

17. 88Knight4life

Its funny how Brown wanted marquee signings and the right players for the club.
    Seems to have changed a bit imo.
    Not that its a bad thing.
    Farrrking anyone with 25 nrl games is a upgrade on most of our roster

18. Beatell

Beatell Trent Hodkinson

In saying that he still isn't wasting money with who we've been linked with IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 88Knight4life

True that.
    Although Guerra was a bit higher then id have hoped. But we needed a significant signing to kick a goal

Beatell likes this.
  20. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Just waiting until 2018 to get a grasp on where we are actually at regarding signings. Hopefully we snag a few more otherwise ship creek is looking good for us. Unfortunately.