Browny's Gameplan

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Left Foot, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Left Foot

Left Foot Shane Christensen

Does he have any?
    Backs do all the tough meters...then when we are in the opposition 20, the forwards are the ones trying to put on and score tries lol

2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Adam MacDougall

His game plan is all about getting a team together that can compete for 80 minutes.

Atm what options does he have other then that?

MisterLevy likes this.
  3. Kurriboy

Kurriboy David Fa'alogo

He must have asked Hodkinson what they did at the dogs!

It's not unusual for the backs to take hit up for the first two after a downfield kick, until the big bodies get back. Unfortunately when ours get back they don't make a lot of metres.

4. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    Not sure if its a gameplan or not, but it seems our forwards either save energy to focus on defense, or are too tired from defence to make an impact running the ball. Probably the latter..

We really lack the match fitness and ability to win the physical battle to make much impact in attack..

Brown did say defence was going to be number 1 priority this year, and it defintely has improved, can actually defend a line and compete for large chunks of the 80.

5. Kurriboy

Kurriboy David Fa'alogo

I'm not sure it's lack of match fitness.

More a combination of factors, our forwards don't make the metres they should in attack therefore we get to the last in bad field position and put in low quality kicks. That hands great field position to them and we end up defending our line at the end of their set a lot of the time. That can lead to giving away penalties, increasing the time defending.

If they score the get the ball back and we defend some more.

Finally, when we do get in to some sort of decent field position, usually from a penalty, or their error and end a set of 6 close enough to their line to attempt a repeat set. We stuff up the kick, or drop the ball and boom, defending again.

Not to mention their forwards steam roll ours and make metres at will even with 3 of our guys hanging off them.

Defend, defend, defend.

We don't have any gas left to attack.

6. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Our defense has improved heaps since last year. 2016 we leaked an average of 33 points per game. So far this year we're restricting our opposition to a meager 25.8 points per game.

7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    The way the game is played the back three make big metres.

Our forwards are second rate is all. Rarely does more than one bust the 100 metre mark. Then we drop the ball.

8. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

From what I've seen so far it seems the plan it to make schoolboy errors and give away penalties, have no field position, defend grimly for 60 minutes then get run over when we run out of puff.

Better than last year where it was just roll over from the 10th minute and get spanked by 40.

Beaumont likes this.
  9. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Bedsy gave away a bit of the thinking in the broadcast on the weekend.
    He said the coach would be happy that the boys were slowing down the play the ball and the penalties wouldn't worry him.
    Last year our boys were too young and weak to be dominant in tackles, which is why we kept getting blown away in games.
    This year, the aim is to win the ruck and the defensive battle.
    As our boys get stronger and better at the wrestle we will be able to dominate without giving away so many penalties you would hope.

10. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Yep it's definitely noticeable in the ruck. The team obviously responds to him which is good. Just need some help out there, about 1.5 million worth of help I reckon.

Lefty and rhugh89 like this.
  11. Kurriboy

Kurriboy David Fa'alogo

All this defending, even though we are not getting the results. But it must give the team confidence that they can get the job done in defence.

If we could get some of that 1.5 million in talent on the park, we'd start getting better outcomes from sets of 6 and wouldn't be defending near as much. But when we do need to, we have the confidence now that we can get that job done.

1 entire season of defence training.

12. Jaybro

Jaybro Todd Anderson

Injuries and departures have really killed us this season, apart from Pythian all the unavailable players have been our experienced guys. From where I'm watching we are clearly lacking experience and maybe a bit of punch up front.

Mullen
    Hodko
    Rory K
    Burher
    Korbin
    Materoa

I reckon when Browny was planning this year he was going to rely on these guys to guide the youngsters around ......

Tasgirl likes this.
  13. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    The Cowboys were camped in our end a lot of the game and played a pretty fluent style of footy there with the players all knowing their role. And only scored 24 points.
    I hate that we aren't there offensively yet but I am hoping more games without Hodkinson and letting Lamb run the team (made quite a few pretty good kicks there) we'll look like we did in the first 2-3 weeks. But I can't complain about that effort. Lot of sets on our line and the boys stood up. A lot of their tries were due to a classy effort (like the Ponga ones) and weren't just from soft defence like against Penrith.
    So it's a step forward if Brown plans on moving on without Hodkinson.

14. lowey

lowey Michael Hagan

after today they played like a bunch of pussies these guys call themselves proffessional footballers nrl need to get their heads out of there arses and sell the club what happened to the interest to buy the club late last season what happened there the club likes to keep the fans in the dark its just the same **** year after year

15. MisterLevy

MisterLevy Jake Mamo

I wouldn't be surprised if Brown wants to quit now.

beau likes this.
  16. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    To me Brownie is not a quitter. His huge problem is putting together a game plan that will fit our reggies team. There was no 'interest' in anyone buying the Club, just the same old bunch who steered the ship onto the rocks in the first place and they could buy nothing. They wanted it for free and unencumbered.

Tasgirl likes this.
  17. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown won't quit because he has hitched his wagon well and truely to the knights rebuild, and he'll never get another job if he walks away while it's still a steaming pile of junk
    On the other hand, the club could decide he has done the job they wanted him to, and decide someone like Garth Brennan with his winning ethic might be better taking it from here. It would be a tough decision, but it must be remembered that Brennan is the golden haired boy of the Wests organisation, and they might be running the show pretty soon.

18. slotmachine

Brown spent the whole presser complaining about lack of possession while mostly avoiding the reason why the team lacks possession. Yes the squad lacks talent but surely it's the coaches job to ensure they can at least hold on to the ball.

19. MisterLevy

MisterLevy Jake Mamo

I just made that comment because we still have one or two that suggest Brown should be sacked. I really think we need to see this thru. Just like we should have done with Brian Smith.

Tasgirl and Lefty like this.
  20. slotmachine

Smithy won 21 games in his first two years at the Knights.

beau likes this.