Brown's positional changes

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Feeney - half to fullback - fail - but it might have been worth giving him half a season in reserve grade.

Gagai - centre to fullback - fail

Ross - wing to centre - he went OK at centre

Pat Mat - centre to middle forward - not sure yet

Pauli Pauli - middle forward to second row - fail I think

Jacob Saifiti - second row to middle forward - success

Fitzgibbon - second row to middle forward - fail

Bhana - middle forward to hooker - fail

Pearsall - half to hooker - fail

Cogger - half to 5/8 - he did OK, but still better at half

Sione - centre to second row - success

Korbin - middle forward to second row - fail

That's all I can think of.
    I think there were more fails than successes, but the moves that worked were pretty good - Sione and Jacob in particular.

2. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Plus, given the year we had with injuries and knowing this was going to be a poor year performance wise, he was probably trying players out in various positions to see how they go. Their range.

Next year will be his first real test as coach for mine.

3. nunnsy

nunnsy Charlie McAlister

What about mullo to hooker? I know he only played one game there but looked pretty good

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Funny I should forget that one. It was the one I was thinking about that got me to do this thread, and then I forgot it.

5. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    It's old age old son, old age!!!!!

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Sione should now be a permanent backrower, Jacob Saifiti in the front row. 2 really successful moves.

I would persist with Feeney to fullback, that's his best position if he can learn the intricacies of the position, Ross closer to the action, because he kills it, Pauli out wide, because he does some damage out there when he wants to. He certainly could do it, you worry about his fitness but he was playing 80 minute games in NSW Cup & sometimes NRL. Looking at his size, I was completely against moving him out wide but he's shown me wrong. Just needs to trim off a bit more weight.

Gagai has the class to be a fullback, he got his chance & looked alright at times, but other times you didn't notice him on the field, so he can stay in the centres for now. Pat Mat this year has pretty much shown himself to be a reserve grade player that is a solid backup for first-grade so I don't think it matters too much if he's playing centre or backrow. Even though Fitzgibbon doesn't look like an NRL player, I'd say his best chance is out wide running hard than ever running through the middle as a front rower. Scrap Bhana & Pearsall to hooker, Bhana can do the job if we're desperate. Pearsall looks like a hooker, but his passing game is atrocious.

Korbs easily has the versatility to slot between prop, lock & second-row, so I wouldn't call it a fail. I wonder if that's why Korbs has been so bad & sooky all year, because he trained the whole pre-season as a second-rower, then Brown moved him back to prop a few games in for the rest of the season.

7. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Feeney Should have had time to develop in lower grades as you said! But i feel he is a half or nothing! Problem is we have Several halves ahead of him!

Gagai i thought wasnt too bad at flb. But do agree he is better at Center!

Sione. 100% agree with this move! Has shown he has what it takes to become a gun 2rf and should be now his full time spot!

Rest arnt worth mentioning really?

8. alexwilliams

alexwilliams Willie Mason

Wood machinist
    How was Gagai a fail at fullback? He looked better there than anyone else we've had back there this year.
    Not to mention Gagai was playing fullback for us even before Brown came along.

9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Cause he got moved back to centre?

He did squat back there.

10. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Gags was shat lol

11. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Matt Jobson

To be fair he wasn't much better at centre than he was at fullback

12. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

Forgive me if he already has, but I wouldn't mind seeing Gagai get a FULL off-seaon+pre-season at fullback. He's got all the tools to become a good fullback, but he just doesn't look comfortable at the back. I don't like Gagai at centre and I don't think he is a centre, he's a fullback or winger for mine. As Mullenmagic said, he no better at centre than he is at fullback, but he does have more potential at fullback.

13. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

He would want too look comfortable. The guy played fullback most his juniors im fairly sure. Chuck him out the door. Could use his money elsewhere. I don't know what is it about him I just don't like him......

14. Left Foot

Left Foot Banned

Says the guy who has Mamo as his favourite player lol

15. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Gagai was a star as a junior fullback, 16s 18s state and country jersey 20s state jersey and was called the next slater for qld by lewis a few yrs ago.

The only time he ever played centre was at age 21 at newcastle under bennet who wouldnt dare move Boyd.

He is the best plYer at our club to take the position and would make him earn that 570k a yeah... or yeah we can sit him on the wing cause his D is shight.

People really need to understand a half a fullback and even a hooker will struggle todo anything in a game it the props the backrowers the centres and wingers dont give them go forward and room to move.

16. -Patrick-

-Patrick- Dank memes n' big screens

Flip flop artist @ Pizza Hut
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brown advise the shifts for Beau Scott and Ben Creagh from the backline into the second row?

17. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

This has what to do with the conversation? Is Mamo on 600k? No. Is Mamo 25 and played over 100 games of nrl football? No. Your statement is rediculous. He may not have the accolades of gags right now but I'll make the call when his in a team that actually goes forward and doesn't have mediocre attack.

18. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

It's pretty obvious you don't like him. Whether that's just based off his football or something more I don't know. Coz he's a QLDer?

If Mamo is indeed gone, Gags might have to have a pre-season at fullback. I know he can do it, he was a star junior fullback & looked really good in his short stint there in 2015. This was after a solid 12 months of him doing nothing at centre, so I really thought when he moved there this season we would really see him develop. Ironically, ever since he moved back to centre, his game actually improved. The game seems to drift past him sometimes. Although I have no doubt the overall form of our team affects him greatly. He could be a good fullback if he wanted it enough & had the troops around him to support him.

19. Left Foot

Left Foot Banned

No I found it funny when you mention there's something about Gagai you don't like but you can't put your finger on it.
    Then I look at your profile... you list Mamo as one of your favourite players.
    The ironing is delicious.

20. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

He played centre for Redcliffe for half a year when he was signed with Brisbane before he came here.