Brock Lamb set to leave the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Joshhh, Jun 9, 2018.

1. BargeArse

BargeArse Robbie McCormack

His defence and being caught out on the edge has been his biggest fault this year IMO. His attack took a hit from last year too, after finishing the season off strongly. But still, Lamb’s second last game he played for us against Panthers round 10. He made a line break from nothing (nice footwork by him) then put Ponga over untouched. I couldn’t imagine Cogger doing anything like that. He never looks likely. At least Lamb has flashed some playmaking ability. Cogger hasn’t flashed anything first grade half worthy IMO.

Lefty likes this.
  2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It's going to be tedious having to read about Watson getting on the short bus back to the group home he lives in because Tex Hoy or some other junior who had a good game when they were 15 should be playing 5/8th.

3. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Hoy is young and short of experience but no doubt has lots of potential based on his years of development through the grades but is not our backup to Pearce and Watson. We have heard Brown say that Lamb came into grade too quick don't want the same for Hoy, let him have another year in 20's with the odd game in reserves for experience. Use current reserves Hazard and Johns along with current 20's halves Loughrey and Biirch if no one else comes along, cross fingers no injuries to critical positions 2019 and keep looking for suitable replacement/backups.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

No one is saying that Hoy is our next choice half, but just saying that now he's made reserve grade & seems to be doing well, we should be bringing him into the NRL squad & developing him for the next few years now. He's the pick of the bunch, don't have much faith in the other options. Definitively though, we need to sign someone from outside the club as an immediate back up & I think Brown/Mooney are well & truly aware of that.

5. Tubby

Tubby Greg Hayward

Hardly a sook, i remember him playing 3/4 of a game with a pretty serious ankle injury last year. Put his head down? From all reports he was one of the best trainers in the off season. He's had a poor year no doubt, but he's always been a bloke that has ripped in for the club in pretty difficult circumstances. He wants to play consistent first grade and if he's not going to get that here then I don't blame him for looking elsewhere

Still_Nutty likes this.
  6. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Not sure bringing Ponga up here is the wisest of choices... Lamb seems to be essentially doing the same thing Ponga did which was leave current club to go to a new club for promised starting role in favoured position. Ponga no doubt has more talent in his pinky then what Lamb has but that’s beside the point.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Hoy has played so few games in the halves you could literally count them on your fingers.
    He has not had a bad one, and a lot of them have been outstanding, including a great debut in the seniors, but he really is just a natural athlete who is showing a lot of potential.
    He really could still be anything.
    Most of his junior career has been as a ballplaying fullback.
    He has the speed and height to play wing.
    He'd probably need to put on some weight and strength to play centre, but he could do that.
    In recent weeks we've seen him develop a long, flat pass that isn't yet as good as Ponga or Mullen, but is as good as Kidley or Dureau or Stig for instance, and his kicking game is improving game after game, but his best asset is still his running game, which is probably why Brown seems keen on him all of a sudden.
    Reports are that we have signed him for 3 years, so he'll almost certainly get a firstgrade preseason next year, and I think they'll try him out in a number of positions, and maybe keep him as a utility. He could end up anywhere from 1 to 7 and maybe even a 9.

mozza and Frank McWilliams like this.
  8. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

I'm meaning in terms of contract situations. In terms of his playing ability I think he needs to string together some decent games rather then mediocre ones to make a statement. I've been a lamb fan for a long time but he needs his footy to do the talking not his or his managers mouth.

Barry Crush likes this.
  9. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Beside the point? To me it's the point your trying to make here. In not talking about talent brains I'm talking being level headed and calm brains. Lamb needs to string together some consistent performances as I've stated above to be able to demand like his currently trying to do.

10. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Sam Stewart

If lamb leaves he will find himself in exactly the same position he is in here, back-up half!
    I can't think of one club where he walks into a halves spot?????

11. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

12. Wobbles

Wobbles Tony Herman

Pumpkin Pickers?

13. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    It is beside the point as Ponga was not a regular FGer when he signed his mega contract with the Knights. Lamb is essentially doing the same thing but has much less talent.

14. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Lamb made that linebreak aside from that was poor. Coggers woeful but atleast can keep up with play.

15. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From Barry Toohey

Cut-price Lamb

It doesn’t always pay to hold out for more money unless you are supremely confident your form and confidence won’t deteriorate over the course of a season.

Just ask poor Brock Lamb.

If you talk to people in the know, the Knights playmaker’s true value has more than halved since the start of the season when the Knights knocked back a rather ambitious asking price from his manager.

Now, after playing most of the season in NSW Cup, there is only lukewarm interest from elsewhere and his management are back talking to the Knights on drastically reduced terms.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...abbitohs-centre-latest-knights-target/?cs=306

16. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    He should learn a lot from this. Don’t put all your trust in greedy player managers as well as proving yourself in first grade before believing you deserve to be there.

17. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Poor bastard probably saw Ash Taylor who's average get close to a million and lost his stuff lol.

18. daniels

daniels Glen Frendo

I guess the question is, even at a reduced price than he originally asked for do we resign him? Been real ordinary this year.

19. knightime

knightime Dan Tolar

IMO, we definitely should. He’d presumably be cheaper now, has plenty of FG experience and will be a solid backup. He might also begin to improve after an attitude adjustment. To-date, he’s been touted by his manager as starter-material, however a further year or two now knowing he’s yet to earn his stripes might see a different work ethic for him perhaps. Plus it’s more time to learn from Pearce. Apart from reduced money for Lamb, I think it’s a win-win to an extent.

20. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

I would re-sign Lamb he has had a poor season but I only have to think back to the end of last season and he was playing good skillful footy.
    Especially when he was a young guy thrown to the wolves far to early , in a way we used him up and spat him out when we got something better ..

Lamb is probably allowed to feel a bit hard done by , your being thrust into 1st grade too early your not ready for it but you give it your best shot for the club you start to come good , looks like and probably told 1/2 back is yours .With Watson outside you and then pow Pearce is signed and your told your in reserves .
    It upset Danny Levi a lot .
    Pearce and Watson are our halves at the moment and I like them together imo they compliment each other nicely . Heaps of players have second year syndrome. I think Lamb has talent you don't lose that and he can play good footy its just not happening right now and I cant blame him .
    We should re-sign him for another year and on the contract he is on now he deserves it in my opinion and I reckon if signed he will come good ...

Joey1245, Lefty and Frank McWilliams like this.