Brendan Elliot's concussion

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Mar 19, 2017.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

2. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Was amazed he didn't come off after the first hit. There's some talk around that he stayed down playing for a penalty ... well that might be what he said, but it didn't look like it. Was a terrible look for the club in light of the McManus saga.

3. Kurriboy

Kurriboy John Morris

I thought Elliot should have left the field, due to the slow to stand test. I also thought plenty of other players in other games should have left the field also due to the same rule. This isn't a Newcastle issue, its an NRL issue. Fitzheadline is just making his case against us as it is the Knights being sued.

Where is his outrage at other clubs who have done the same thing this year?

Also, there was a player in the reserve grade game, knights player. In the second half who got clearly concussed. The trainer was trying to get him to come off the field but the player refused to listen, kept walking away from the trainer and ended up standing at marker and playing on. In cases like this, the ref has to get involved and be standing right there as the trainer does the assessment.

If the ref believes the player is slow to rise, or meets one of the criteria he should order the player from the field for HIA.

There is the flip side to this coin that trainers are signalling HIA to get a player off and get the free interchange, when the player is not concussed at all, and has a different injury.

4. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He was out cold, disgrace to leave him on. Then he copped more treatment for good measure. He'll be hanging out in a dark room this week.

Not to say we're the only offenders, Dragons leaving Dugan on today was just as bad.

5. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Evan Cochrane

Kane Elgey copped a knock the other night and looked no better than Elliot. Still played on.

6. Kurriboy

Kurriboy John Morris

There has been plenty of them, clearly affected, slow to rise. Left on.

Whilst ever these assessments are left up to the clubs for their own players, it is going to continue to happen.

7. rhugh89

8. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I'll back the club here. I've also heard about him playing for a penalty by staying down and I think that's what happened. I mean he's rubbish anyway and putting Pete at FB and Sione to the centres really isn't that big a reshuffle. We're smarter than playing him hurt particularly after what's happened with McManus.

Would take anything that cretin Fitzsimons says with a grain of salt too. The guy is a self important POS who hates Rugby League and continuously takes shots at it.

Kenny Powers likes this.
  9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Guys please go and look at a replay. Elliot was hit with a deliberate swinging arm by grub Hunt, meant to put out of the game hence the 4 week penalty when he fronts the judiciary. By then of course it will be Elliot's fault for getting his head in 'the wrong psotion' I guess. Hunt should have been marched and Elliot sent to the head bin for sure. Then Burgess' ugly elbow and as I said before Elliot copped a set of knees which seemed cocked when Goodwin was going in. The bunnies showed their true, soft, fluffy, cuddly nature when the going got tough.

10. Hunterstelvis

Hunterstelvis Banned

No doubt it was a poorly refereed game and I dont think thats because of my red and blue glasses.

Hunt should of at least received 10 in the bin for what he did it was obviously deliberate. I've heard Thurston say as bad as Hodko before and no one raised an eye. Just a couple of rounds ago Thurston told the ref he was losing control of the game.....nothing said.

Tasgirl likes this.
  11. jamesgould

No doubt it happens with all sides, it's just that this was a particularly obvious one, so has been highlighted. I don't care if it's us that have been singled out, I just want the NRL to sort it for the long term health benefit of players.

What's the first thing a player who is woozy and in that non-rational condition wants to stay out on the field going to say? I was staying down for a penalty.

Good on Fitzsimmons for raising it, it needed to be done.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    88Knight4life likes this.
  12. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

He should have gone off but there has not been enough said about the guy hitting him in the jaw ...
    The nrl is saying that after a head knock a player has to be tested and left off if found concussed even the testing takes time , so they should allow teams to replace that player with the 18th man and or a reserve grader that's played that week .
    Most times its not the players fault that he is concussed but his team is still a man short , so I think he should be allowed to be replaced by the 18th man coming onto the bench and a free replacement off the bench for the injured player .....That might help with the teams pulling the man out of the game straight away because they will lose a bit of talent but at least they still have a full team ....

Kim1ill and jamesgould like this.
  13. jamesgould

It's a different issue, but totally. I'd be happy if they automatically sent off anyone who made contact with the head, accidental or not. Pretty sure it would soon stop.

88Knight4life, Lefty and Ethan like this.
  14. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Fitzsimons severely overestimates his own relevance. The Club will answer to the NRL if there's an issue and not to some hack who has less than zero credibility in the World outside rugby union.

Kenny Powers, mozza and Tasgirl like this.
  15. Tubby

Tubby Alex McKinnon

I think the NRL is hesitant bringing the 18th man in as it could be abused fairly easily

16. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Titans fined 150k, dragons and us fined 100k each.

17. rhugh89

Concussion breach notices

Mon 20 Mar, 2017, 1:30pm
    Media Release, NRL

Three NRL clubs are facing fines totalling $350,000 after being issued with Breach Notices relating to head injuries in Round 3 of the Telstra Premiership.

CEO Todd Greenberg said there is no more important issue in the game than player safety and he was satisfied that the three clubs had failed to follow the concussion rules during weekend matches.

The Breach Notices have been issued to:

• The Gold Coast Titans ($150,000) for incidents involving Kane Elgey, Joe Greenwood and Ryan Simpkins

• St George Illawarra Dragons ($100,000) for an incident involving Josh Dugan

• Newcastle Knights ($100,000) for an incident involving Brendan Elliot

"These are, by far, the heaviest fines ever proposed by the game for concussion breaches," Mr Greenberg said.

"That is how seriously we take it.

"The clubs involved have the opportunity to respond to the Breach Notices, and we will consider those responses, but our message is clear… we are not going to allow player safety to be put at risk through breaches of the concussion rules."

Mr Greenberg said the NRL has put significant resources into concussion training and education.

"In the majority of cases we see strong compliance with the League's concussion rules but it appears that this did not happen at the weekend in some matches and we cannot stand by and allow player safety to be put at risk," he said.

"Where we believe the rules have been breached we will take action – and we would hope that these Breach Notices will serve as a warning to all clubs."

Mr Greenberg said the clubs would have five business days to respond to the Breach Notices.

http://www.nrl.com/concussion-breach-notices/tabid/10874/newsid/104847/default.aspx

18. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

How about the NRL gives us the 2 points we'd have got if the referees had done their job properly and reduced Souths to 11 men for the last 45 minutes?
    Then they can pay the 100k to themselves.

Lefty likes this.
  19. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Good. Lets hope clubs take it more seriously now.

20. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Adam MacDougall

Huge fines and fair enough.... player safety comes first.

Now after this bunch of fines every club will pull there player off for the game as it should be.

Problem is if a team has 6 guys go down due to a head knock, 4 of which was the opposing sides fault... will the game suffer with 1 side having 11 "fit players" left on the field against 17 with 4 on report yet none sent off ??

Guess what im saying is the nrl has done a great thing with the hia as it protects a injured player... though the job is only half done!!

Each club has to name 21 players on Tuesdays then cut it to 19 players.... those 19 players should be suited up on game day with 18 an 19 only being used after a INDEPENDENT DOCTOR has ruled a player out