Best Knights Team Ever 2017 edition

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Started watching proper in about 2003.

1. Kurt Gidley - Controversial maybe but the way he revolutionised the role not just for us, but all NRL he really was the first ball playing fullback.
    2. Tahu - Best athlete the Knights have ever had an a incredible competitor.
    3. Gidley - Set and forget, not an explosive centre but a smart footballer who could set up his winger.
    4. Maddog - More of a winger but had to fit Tahu, Maddog and Uate in somehow, also no other stand out centre, was a big part of Uate's career best form, in fact take him out and big chance he never reaches the heights he did.
    5. Uate - BRILLANT! Glad his refound his form.
    6. Mullen - Or atleast the potential he showed but never reached.
    7. Joey - Nuff Said.
    8. Chief - Nuff said.
    9. Bedsy - Nuff Said.
    10. Tony Butterfield - Only saw heighlights but was a beast.
    11. Steve Simpson - Nuff said
    12. David Fairleigh - Got him at backend but brillant still
    13. Ben Kennedy - Nuff said.

14. Matt Parsons - Legend.
    15. Mark Sargent - Tough as nails.
    16. Adam Muir - Shame he committed career suicide was great for us.
    17. Zeb Taia - Recovered from a broken neck to play 1 last game for us, probably our biggest improver of the Smith era.

Thoughts on my team and post ya own.

2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    1. Robbie O.

17. Kurt Gidley. Has to be a bench player covering 1-6-7-9.

Otherwise agree Scaleybugs.

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Butterfield, Sargent and Parsons gave us great service and were great clubmen, but the Saifiti brothers only need to be close to as good as I think they will be, and they will go past those guys within 2 years.
    Those 3 will never have a spot in the NRL hall of fame.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I'll give you guys a pretty fresh faced team. I can only comment on 2009 to now, so these are my best Knights that I got to see take the field from the last 9 years.

1. James McManus (Jimmy Mac, ever reliable, flying scotsman in 2009 before perfecting his finishing game in 2013, obviously not a fullback, but had to put Gids in the halves due to no good halfback in the last decade!)
    2. Akuila Uate (at his peak freakish)
    3. Joey Leilua (a ****wit, but a bloody good player when he was fit, 2013 he was a strike weapon)
    4. Adam MacDougall (only got to see him play for a few seasons, but his combo with Uate was the best centre/wing combo I've seen live at the Knights)
    5. Cooper Vuna (explosive in 2010, was very tough for McManus to get his spot back)
    6. Jarrod Mullen (very talented, we were never very structured so a lot of our tries came off his creativity, very close to Dally M form year in 2013)
    7. Kurt Gidley (leader & captain that always epitomized the spirit of the Knights, super fit, Kurt Gidley was synonymous with the Newcastle Knights in my early years)
    8. Kade Snowden (never well liked but was one of the form props in 2013, probably the first guy I ever watched for us that regularly cracked the 100m)
    9. Danny Buderus (missed him in his prime, but came back faultlessly)
    10. Willie Mason (controversial pick & controversial guy, but I think he was great for the team, fans & club in 2012-13)
    11. Beau Scott (one of our best in 2014, truly took on that enforcer role & roughed oppositions up, developed a good offload too)
    12. Robbie Rochow (easy to forget Rochow, couldn't get on the field for the last 2 years before leaving, but in 2013-14, played nearly every game & was a good pacey line running backrower that ran hard)
    13. Adam Cuthbertson (will always be underrated, never really got a start, his ball playing came good around 2013-14, was a brilliant addition to our attack)

14. Isaac De Gois (did a good job for us for the years Bedsy was away)
    15. Richie Fa'aoso (a loved player in my early years, always charged hard)
    16. Zeb Taia (another good clubman that always did a job for us, got better with time & I reckon his best years have been post the Knights)
    17. Daniel Saifiti (Very early in his career but not many forwards I've watched here are running the metres he's running)

A couple guys I considered unlucky were Matt Hilder who was a great servant of the club & Timana Tahu, who was a quality centre for us for a little bit after enduring the days of Junior Sa'u who couldn't pass. Wes Naiqama also deserves a mention for his brilliant 2011 season, something lit up in him that year that never had before.

5. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

my sig says it all! :)

Tasgirl likes this.
  6. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Agree Origin within 2 years and Barnett possibly same level.

7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    There is no 'going past' Billy when one considers players from the different eras.

Billy Slater is often spoken of as the 'greatest fullback ever' by folk who did not see the great Clive Churchill or France's Puig Aubert play. Billy is certainly the greatest 'of his era'.

8. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

Robbie O'Davis
    Timana Tahu
    Matt Gidley
    Adam MacDougall
    Akuila Uate
    Matt Johns
    Andrew Johns

Marc Glanville
    Ben Kennedy
    Steve Simpson
    Paul Harragon
    Danny Buderus
    Mark Sargent

Tony Butterfield
    David Fairleigh
    Adam Muir
    Owen Craigie

Tim likes this.
  9. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

1. Robbie O'Davis
    2. Aku Uate
    3. Matt Gidley
    4. Adam MacDougall ( Hughes very close )
    5. Timana Tahu
    6. Matthew Johns
    7. Andrew Johns
    8. Mark Sargent
    9. Danny Buderus
    10. Paul Harragan
    11. Steve Simpson
    12. Ben Kennedy
    13. Bill Peden

14. Kurt Gidley
    15. Tony Butterfield
    16. Adam Muir
    17. Marc Granville

Overlooked guys like Beau Scott & Fairleigh for Peden & Granville because the latter fellas spent more time at the club but those two guys had two of the better seasons for a Knights back rower.

10. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

1Robbie O'Davis
    2Timana Tahu
    3Matt Gidley
    4Owen Craigie
    5Adam MacDougall
    6Matt Johns
    7Andrew Johns
    8Paul Harragon
    9Danny Buderus
    10Mark Sargent