Auckland Nines scrapped for 2018

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Jul 9, 2017.

  1. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    21,255
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Auckland Nines scrapped from 2018 rugby league calendar


    MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Sunday Telegraph
    July 8, 2017 10:00pm



    THE Auckland Nines will be scrapped next year with the pre-season competition axed from the NRL’s crowded scheduling.

    A crammed off-season has seen the nine-a-side tournament make way in what is a busy rugby league calendar.

    It follows a similar path of the All-Stars match which also won’t be played next year, but will return in 2019.

    Player burnout and fears over the workload of some of the game’s best players following the end of season world cup mean the Nines will be put on the backburner for one year.

    The World Cup final is not played until December 2, meaning a host of players would be unavailable for the tournament — which is usually played at the end of January — once they have their entitled break.

    It is expected to return in 2019, with a revamped concept, although it is unlikely the tournament will return to New Zealand for now.

    The possibility of a venue change for next season to help spark the tournament was raised following a lacklustre turnout in Auckland this year, but that idea has been put on hold for now.

    Crowds and interest in the competition has waned in recent years.

    The two-day tournament was launched with instant success in 2014, with some clubs taking the competition seriously by sending full strength sides.

    Others treated it with contempt, with a handful of coaches skipping the event in recent years.

    Negotiations between the NRL and tournament promoters Duco regarding the future of the competition are continuing.

    Duco and Auckland Council tourism have a contract to host next year’s tournament.

    An NRL spokesman said talks are being finalised regarding the future of the concept.

    “Irrespective of what happens next year, the nines has a future in the game,” the spokesman said.

    It is understood the NRL has plans to revitalise the concept once it takes control of it from 2019.

    Perth and Brisbane loom as potential hosts with a return to New Zealand not expected for a few years.

    It is understood the NRL are open to the idea of inviting English Super League teams and potentially international teams to take part in a hope to renew interest in the concept.

    The world sevens had similar appeal in the mid-1990s when the likes of Wigan, Fiji and the USA brought a different edge to the tournament before that ceased in 2004.

    The temporary scrubbing of the Nines and All-Stars game means only pre-season trials and the World Club Series will be held before the kick-off to season proper next year.

    Duco successfully promoted the recent bout between Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao at Suncorp Stadium.


    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/f5a2ee9b7e95f8b6777591f3e5454eb5
     
  2. Mr Goanna

    Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Posts:
    1,973
    Location:
    sydney
    fair enough...but bring back the old midweek National Panasonic Cup...really give the players something to complain about!
     
  3. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    21,255
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    NRL Nines tournament suspended for 2018


    Thu 13 Jul, 2017, 12:06pm
    Media Release, NRL



    The NRL, ATEED (Auckland Tourism, Events & Economic Development) and Duco Events today confirmed that the NRL Nines Tournament will be suspended next year to ease the workload of players following the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

    NRL Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Abdo said the Nines had been one of the game’s success stories over the last four years and had a long term future on the Rugby League calendar.

    But he said that with the Rugby League World Cup running until 2 December, it was not viable to ask elite players to back up for the Nines tournament in early 2018.

    The same applies for the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game in the pre-season, which will also not be held in 2018 but will return in 2019.

    Mr Abdo said there was every chance the NRL Nines would be held in Australia when it returns to the Rugby League calendar and the NRL would seek expressions of interest from cities interested in hosting the event.

    He said that Auckland had been a fantastic host of the event and confirmed that there is a strong likelihood that the event will return to New Zealand in the future rotation.

    The NRL and Duco Events acknowledged the important role that ATEED had played in the establishment and ongoing success of the event, along with major sponsor Downer and other event partners.


    http://www.nrl.com/nrl-nines-tournament-suspended-for-2018/tabid/10874/newsid/109938/default.aspx
     

Share This Page