ASADA Investigation

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by jamesgould, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Seems to be some sort of huge big revelations going on at the moment? :eek:

2. brentus777

brentus777 David Mullane

Drug taking and match fixing

Seemed like a bunch of government babble, At one stage it sounded like an advertisement for the Gillard government lol! bet it will be all swept under the carpet in the next year...

3. jamesgould

NRL CEO David Smith: ‘‘We’ve worked with the crime commission in the last week or so and information has come forward for NRL specifically that affects more than one player and more than one club. We’ve been working with the crime commission on a range of issues that are outlined in the report. We have already begun with ASADA, we’ve begun the investigation.’’

At least if Newcastle's involved, there's not exactly any silverware they can take off us! :lol:

4. fj182

fj182 Paul Rauhihi

LOL damn it james now i am upset, I think they will uncover heaps, So many players are on the gear but until now its been swept under the rug

5. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

By gear you mean as in steroids? Right? Haha sorry, just making sure

6. Lynchyknight

Lynchyknight Todd Bates

Townsville - Wish I lived in Newcastle though
    By the look of the players at least 25% of first grade players would be on steroids. Going to be interesting to see what happens from here

7. fj182

fj182 Paul Rauhihi

I didnt just mean steroids there is heaps of other stuff they would be taking like beta blockers and hgh and estrogen inhibitors, there is so much stuff out there to think that they are not on it in some fashion is just to hard to believe

8. jamesgould

There's been virtually nobody caught in the last fifteen years which is pretty unbelievable.

Did anybody see in the DT today they reckon a player was caught by his club over xmas, but they have no obligation to inform the NRL, so he's continuing on as usual.

9. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett says his clubs have never been involved in drugs

By Wayne Heming

[​IMG]
    Wayne Bennett at Newcastle Knights training.

NRL super-coach Wayne Bennett says he's hoping the drugs scandal that has enveloped rugby league is limited to individuals and not whole teams.

An explosive report from the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) delivered today lifted the lid on widespread use of banned drugs in Australian professional sport and links with organised crime.

Following the report's release, Federal Justice Minister Jason Clare said there was evidence entire teams, from an unspecified code, were being doped with the support of sports scientists.

New NRL CEO Dave Smith revealed information supplied by the ACC affected more than one NRL player and more than one NRL club.

Newcastle Knights coach Bennett said he was still trying to get his head around the explosive findings of the year-long probe.

``I understand there are no particular allegations against any particular (NRL) team or any particular player,'' said Bennett.

``They've obviously got a lot of evidence.

``I'm not that naive to think things don't happen at clubs but certainly clubs I've been a part of have never been involved in things that are being suggested now.

``I hope they're on a small scale - I think they probably are in our game.

``Back in the late 1980s, I didn't think we had a drug issue but I was wrong then - there was a drug issue,'' he said.

``I just hope we're not on a scale where teams have been heavily involved in it.

``At the end of the day, the choice is up to the individual and he has to pay a price for whatever he decides. It remains to be seen just how widespread it is.''

Bennett, who's followed the Lance Armstrong cycling drug saga for years, said some young athletes in all sports were not strong enough to say 'no'.

``The people who advance this type of stuff are pretty good at manipulation,'' he said.

``The older you are, the better chance you have of standing up for yourself.

``When you are a young player trying to make it, you think 'this is what I have to do'.''

Bennett said he was wary of the risks posed by sports science.

``I don't employ anyone who talks in mystique and gets around the place wanting to give people injections,'' he said.

``They don't get a job with me or any club I am involved with.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nvolved-in-drugs/story-e6frexnr-1226572848197

10. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

I was just thinking the other day how no one has been caught in quite a while, when compared to other sports quite a lot of athletes are caught using some sort of performance enhancing drugs. Im not sure whether its just drugs are getting better and better and staying undetected or its simply not tested/policed enough.

What Wayne Bennet said about the older people being able to say no and young players giving in is very true, I do know a couple of people in SG ball sides that have been taking performance enhancing drugs, and in all honestly i nearly gave in to taking performance enhancing drugs, but luckly i didnt. It just wouldn't feel the same making first grade or any rep team for that matter on something then making it 100% natural.

11. jamesgould

Well the drugs have definitely gone through a phase where they've been undetectacle. Look at Lance Armstrong, how long did he dominate for and he never failed a test while he was winning Tour de France's. Only now have they been able to go back to his "archived" samples and get positive results.

As far as the organised "Sports Science" programmes go, at the moment I think we are pretty safe as Knights fans. Before Tinkler took over, with the lack of resources and at times shambolic state of organisation, I don't think we'd have been able to get a programme like that in place, even if we'd wanted to. I mean, getting up to the minimum standard of resources that the other clubs had would have surely taken priority.

And I'm pretty comfortable that Bennett wouldn't allow anything like that to happen since he's been here.

I guess that's some comfort ... but it's so terrible for the sport what could be about to happen, that it's pretty cold.

12. Joshhh

13. Jekk

Jekk Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Baublier
    Yeah this is pretty terrible and all that but boy I've been having fantasies all day of who I wouldn't mind seeing go down :crazy:

14. Matho

Matho EST DENMAN

Boring
    It only took one former team mate in Tyler Hamilton to blow it into the media & WADA.... Now the FBI

Undetectacle??? maybe but never upset anyone on there team or pay things on a credit card/or what shows on a bank statement because they will be!!!

The thing what is undetectacle is match fixing & that would kill off any sport in this world....

I do find it a bit weird in timing that on Monday afternoon that Major League Baseball was told about number of players using drugs in a PED clinic in Miami & Lance Armstrong was facing FBI charges, Just got a feeling it an international investigation what all governments have been working on for the last couple of years??? or is it just some can of worms the AFP found after looking into bikie gangs????

I would love to see the ACC tell everyone names & clubs before the remour mill kills innocent parties .....

15. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

Don't know if it's just me, and I'm a horrible person but I'm kind of excited to see which players will be going down? With this whole Des Hasler thing as well, maybe a Tony Williams will come up as positive. Would explain a lot, only player that really steam rolls people over in the NRL

16. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

I hope everyone involved is named and shamed and banned for at least 2 years

17. jamesgould

News from the Knights perspective on this. Some interesting stuff.

Bennett: Coaches must be in on it
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1287430/bennett-coaches-must-be-in-on-it/?cs=306
    - Bennett says it's possible a CEO may have no knowledge, but a coach would definitely know about widespread doping at the club.

Newcastle’s teams ‘have nothing to hide’
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1287301/poll-newcastles-teams-have-nothing-to-hide/?cs=303
    - Just the Knights press release, really. Says there's nothing to implicate the Knights.

Performance drug use report shocks
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1287316/performance-drug-use-report-shocks/?cs=391
    - A member of the Knights old anti-drug committee is shocked by the allegations. That committee was formed after O'Davis, MacDougall and Richards were all suspended in 1998.

18. fj182

fj182 Paul Rauhihi

Lol Robbie and doogs were two of my fav players but dammit guys pot calling the kettle black much

19. Joshhh

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with them charging a couple of nobody NYC players & it blowing over pretty quick. This is either gonna be like that or the biggest story in Australian sports history.

So many people would have to be on them. Think about all the freakishly massive guys & guys who seem to get bigger every year. Young guys gain a heap of muscle in 1 pre-season. I remember Joseph Tomane being a skinny winger at the Storm, saw him first round the next year playing for the Titans & he was a hulking centre.

Whether the people making the allegations have proof or not is what we'll have to wait & see, coz no doubt a lot of players must be using this stuff.

20. jamesgould

They did both have good excuses at least, the thing Robbie was taking was alright when he started, it was made illegal before his test, but the NRL didn't tell clubs until after his test.

And MacDougall is still taking steroids today for a medical condition.

The Knights were in the first four clubs audited yesterday. Hopefully we can get the all clear.

They've found vials of urine in the changing rooms at Skilled Park ... presumably so that if there's a test, they can switch the vials in the changing room for some clean urine. Very dodgy indeed!!!