Alex McKinnon #RISEFORALEX

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jul 15, 2014.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    What a guy 'I am very lucky I am still improving.' Not one backward glance. The girls thought him a real hero by their questions and genuine support.

Lefty, rhugh89 and Tasgirl like this.
  3. rhugh89

As Alex McKinnon moves on, Cameron Smith is still playing the victim

By Danny Weidler

Alex McKinnon is three years down the track from the night that changed his life. He gets married in three weeks.

Darius Boyd will be his best man. Dane Gagai will be in the bridal party. His old coach, Wayne Bennett, will be there. It will be a great day.

McKinnon says the anger has gone and he wants to move on. He even wants to have a coffee with Cameron Smith, the player who appeared to ignore his plight and concentrated on talking to the referee while McKinnon lay on the turf in obvious distress.

Smith's actions on that night have been debated, defended and slammed, but they are still difficult to fathom for many close to McKinnon.

Smith's part in the incident was highlighted in a 60 Minutes story. McKinnon's anger was intense and the makers of the program were heavily criticised, with claims it was edited selectively and that Smith should have been given the right of reply.

Smith became the story, and his supporters leapt to his defence. But sadly, after all is said and done, McKinnon is still unable to do what he loves – play football.

Smith is still going on about the media stitch-up. He told colleague Andrew Webster last week:

"I don't call it the 'Alex McKinnon stuff', it's the '60 Minutes stuff'.

"That was pretty ordinary. More so for my family I was upset.

"My family had to sit through that and answer questions about it. It was a hatchet job if there was one. It was a stitch-up on myself.

"In fairness to Alex, I think they stitched him up, too. He was in a really difficult situation.

"I still haven't seen the story, but by all reports it was a fantastic piece until they brought me into it. I don't know why they went down the line that they did."

They went down that path because in the days after the incident, everyone was talking about Smith's reaction.

The week it happened, this column raised it and offered Cam the opportunity to speak before we went to print. I didn't get an answer and have never had an answer regarding his actions.

Not giving Smith a right of reply is something 60 minutes was bagged for. They should have.

It's my understanding that McKinnon didn't want a Smith interview as part of his TV story.

For this week's column, I again contacted the Storm to speak to Smith about his comments to Webster and why he re-raised it. Storm head of communications Sarah Kalaja sent the following email:

"I have spoken with Cameron and he has declined the request for interview. To your point that [Smith] brought up [the McKinnon incident] in the story, I would like to clarify the following:

"The question was: 'His career hasn't always been smooth sailing – there have been some challenging/tough moments along the way.'

"Cameron responded with the 2010 salary cap incident, 2008 GF suspension and the 60 Minutes issue.

"He made it very clear in his response, as per the printed quotes, he refers toit as the 60 Minutes issue, not AlexMcKinnon."

Smith can say what he wants, but as an experienced media performer he knew raising the McKinnon incident would bring a response.

The Nine Network took the generous step of apologising.

Smith sat next to Paul Vautin on The Footy Show as Vautin dished out a lengthy apology. And Cam accepted it.

Privately, high-level executives from Nine flew to Melbourne and apologised to Smith and his family face-to-face.

This was because Smith was not speaking to Nine on their football coverage.

He is considered important, but it's hard to imagine one person not tuning into the coverage because Smith wasn't speaking.

When you get that level of apology, you think you move on. Not Smith. He said what he said to Webster.

He also said that McKinnon was stitched up by the story. I spoke to McKinnon this week.

"I saw the story before it went to air and I was happy with it," he said.

"I was very angry at the time because of what happened to me and now I've let that go. I may do the story differently now, but that was how I felt at the time.

"I have moved on. I don't want to live with that anger in me."

McKinnon has talked with Smith on the phone, but would like more.

"I'd like to have a coffee with him and just see where the conversation goes, and if there is a good outcome, that would be good.

"If not, it would be good to have a conversation with someone who has done as much as he has as a footballer."

Smith has never watched the 60 Minutes story and may never read this column.

But if he does, maybe he will come to the conclusion that when it comes to McKinnon perspective is something he is lacking.

There was one person whose life changed forever that night, and it was not his.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...still-playing-the-victim-20170916-gyiwgs.html

Still_Nutty likes this.
  4. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Matt Hilder

Whilst Weidler is trying to ignite more media hype, out of all of this, my main take is that I am so glad to hear Alex is moving forward, getting married to Tegan, still has strong relationships with the players and he has no more anger over what transpired on that night.

In fairness to Smith, I think Webster's line of questioning probably didn't leave him room not to respond to what was raised and I hope he takes up McKinnon's offer for a cup of coffee to put this to bed for once and for all.

Alex McKinnon - continuing to be the Champion we have seen through all his success and adversity and continuing to inspire me by his thought and deed

Lefty likes this.
  5. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

So Channel 9 were wrong for turning a positive story about Alex McKinnon into a negative story about Cameron Smith?

So Danny Weidler in all of his infinite wisdom has done exactly the same thing?

Yeah sounds about right.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    What a premier grade grub Smith is.

The whole thing is about how Smith is treated, never Alex!

Tasgirl likes this.
  7. Ven

Ven Tea Ropati

weidler's an idiot. Mustn't have had anything to write about for the day.

having said that, smith is a grub!

Tasgirl likes this.
  8. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Smith knows that bagging out Alex for 60 minutes would result in more backlash which is why it is easier to direct it at Channel 9. If he had just owned up to it at the time or even a bit after and said he made a bad judgement of error (which Weilder pointed out and which was correct) everyone would have moved on. Smith is more concerned about his image then anything else, and this is why he has made it to be a Team Cameron vs Team Alex scenario.
    I do agree that may be he is entitled to his side of the story but at the end of the day he's winning no fans over by continuingly making it all about himself, and it probably would have been better if he moved on like Alex did.

Tasgirl likes this.
  9. rhugh89

ALEX MCKINNON’S BRAVE BATTLE TO WALK CONTINUES AHEAD OF HIS WEDDING

Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
    September 22, 2017 6:28pm

JUST weeks out from Alex McKinnon’s wedding, remarkable footage has emerged of the former NRL forward walking with assistance at his spinal recovery centre on the Gold Coast.

Fiancée Teigan Power posted an inspirational video of McKinnon striding forward in a frame and harness with the help of two crew members.

The footage highlights the hard work and effort the ex-Dragons and Knights back-rower has displayed since sustaining serious spinal injuries in a tackle against Melbourne three years ago.

McKinnon recently said walking his long-term partner Teigan down the aisle at their wedding was “physically not possible”, but his latest progress showcases his determination to defy the odds.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...g/news-story/e53f95fb5c925506b638dcd426954e0e

Tasgirl likes this.
  10. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    That is awesome...go Alex.:applause::cheer:

11. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Matt Hilder

Lefty likes this.
  12. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Newcastle Forever and Lefty like this.
  13. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

Yes and he actually said he would walk her down the aisle.

They did not let the facts get in the way of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beaumont likes this.
  14. rhugh89

Pictures of Alex McKinnon’s wedding that reduced NRL tough men to tears

The Daily Telegraph
    30 minutes ago

THESE are the pictures that reduced some of the NRL’s hardest men to tears.

More than three years after the tackle that broke Alex McKinnon’s neck, destroying his career and leaving him a quadriplegic, the former Knights and Dragons star stood to exchange vows with his high school sweetheart Teigan Power.

Last Sunday’s wedding in NSW’s Hunter Valley saw the 25-year-old stun everyone, including his bride.

“I was pretty shocked to tell you the truth. I couldn’t believe Alex stood for all that time,” Power told New Idea.

“It was lovely to be able to look him in the eye, rather than looking down at him in his wheelchair.

“It just made the ceremony that much more intimate. We started crying every time we caught each other’s eye. It was beautiful.”

The magic moment followed McKinnon’s pledge to be standing at the altar when Power walked down the aisle.

He took to Instagram following the ceremony to declare “dreams do come true”.

“It took 3 years of EVERYTHING I’ve got in me to achieve this moment of standing with my beautiful wife on our wedding day,” McKinnon said.

The wedding was attended by a number of McKinnon’s former teammates, including best man and Broncos star Darius Boyd.

Boyd was applauded for the powerful speech he delivered at the reception detailing his own personal battles, while revealing how his mateship with McKinnon began as flatmates in Wollongong.

Boyd went on to say how proud he was that “through adversity, the world has got to know the man who has inspired me every day since the day I met him”.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/860408023b919ac2e32badd36a7a37e2

Still_Nutty and Frank McWilliams like this.
  15. rhugh89

16. rhugh89

17. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    That is brilliant to see! Happy for him and Teigan.

18. rhugh89

McKinnon getting back on the road

Fri 27 Oct, 2017, 2:50pm
    ‌‌‌NRL.com

Alex McKinnon has put up a cheeky Instagram post to tell the world about the latest chapter in his courageous recovery.

Three weeks after McKinnon bravely stood on his wedding day to marry his long-time partner Teigan Power, the 25-year-old published a light-hearted social media post to detail his latest accomplishment.

The former Newcastle Knights forward has proved an endless source of inspiration in his recovery since suffering a serious spinal injury, which left him a quadriplegic, in a game against Melbourne at AAMI Park in round three of the 2014 season.

"BREAKING NEWS after 3 & a 1/2 years of not driving I'm a few weeks away from being behind the wheel again," the former St George Illawarra and Newcastle player said.

McKinnon also jokingly used the post to "warn" other road users of what was to come.

"I thought I would give you all plenty of notice and time to hand your licenses in before I'm on the road and causing havoc," he added.

A host of current and former NRL players including Kangaroos representatives Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell and Matt Gillett, Clint Gutherson, Beau Ryan, Andrew McCullough, Konrad Hurrell, Kieran Foran, Tariq Sims, Akuila Uate and Danny Buderus were quick to show their support about the upcoming achievement by liking McKinnon's Instagram post.

http://www.nrl.com/mckinnon-getting-back-on-the-road/tabid/10874/newsid/114053/default.aspx

Tasgirl and Lefty like this.