Alex McKinnon #RISEFORALEX

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jul 15, 2014.

1. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Ethan you got it wrong.

2. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

There's contributing factors to every accident in this case that's 1 of them and I remember at the time everyone saying he shouldn't have ducked his head he was trying to roll out of the tackle but now its taboo to even say that ....but as I said before if Mclean doesn't lift nothing happens ...

3. Tim

Tim John Morris

The entire reason for the accident is he was lifted over the horizontal. Rules are strict on lifting because very very very rarely something like this happens.

To say ducking his head puts Alex at fault too is like saying that when a driver runs a red light and crashes into another car, the other car is to blame too for getting in the way.

4. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

McKinnon scouts for new challenge

Thu 2nd March, 05:32PM

Alex McKinnon has made the difficult decision to step down from his role with the nib Newcastle Knights and pursue other options.

For the past year and a half, the 25-year-old has been a recruitment co-ordinator for the Elite Pathways program at the Club.

Now McKinnon is looking for an opportunity to take on another challenge and will head in a different direction.

“This Club has given me the opportunity to do so much from transitioning to rehab and back to the Knights,” he said.

“It’s a sad day for myself, it’s hard telling people that have helped me so much over the last year and a half but I need to get out of my comfort zone, I can’t put all my eggs in one basket, I need to challenge myself and just go for it.”

McKinnon has indicated he’d like to start to do some public speaking to share his experiences on and off the field.

“I feel like that would be really rewarding and I’d really like to add value to other peoples’ lives and help people,” he explained.

“Some people get comfortable with what they’re doing, I feel like I want to be uncomfortable again, I want to do something different.

“Football is what I’ve always loved, I’ve really enjoyed it, I’ll still be part of it, I can’t help it, I love football but I need to try something else.”

But he won’t be completely stepping away from the Club that he loves, taking on an external role as a scout.

Reflecting on his time working as a Recruitment Co-ordinator for the Knights, McKinnon said it’s been a fulfilling role and he will cherish the time with those he worked alongside.

“I really enjoyed interacting with family and friends, young kids, players that have no other aspiration than to wear the Knights jersey,” he said.

“I loved being around the staff every day and having that sense of belonging.

“I think people in life seek that and I’ve always had that with football.”

He’s given a special mention to a few of his colleagues who have been some of his biggest supporters.

“Dean Noonan and Troy Pezet have probably been the two that have helped me the most,” McKinnon explained.

“Those guys have not only picked me up every morning, they’ve provided so much support for myself.

“Initially I wasn’t comfortable letting people do things for me, getting back into the working environment is so hard to do but they’ve given me the opportunity to do that and I’ll be forever grateful.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/03/02/mckinnon_scouts_for_.html

5. member 2299

Retired
    Read and learn Left Foot!

6. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

I would love to know how his rehab is progressing. I hope he is still making progress.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Being surrounded by football would have been hard for him, if not impossible. Good on him for making his own way. I am sure the club and its fans will always be there for him.

member 2299, rhugh89 and Tasgirl like this.
  8. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Considering he has a job for life with the NRL and Knights I don't blame him for exploring other avenues, can always come back to it some day.

9. member 2299

Retired
    Do you really think so R_A?

I reckon when he goes, he goes and Alex knows that and looking ahead to a new challenge.

10. Left Foot

Left Foot Mark Sargent

What are you on about now?
    I mentioned Alex was going to quit his role last year.
    And there what do we have here?
    I hate being right all the time.

11. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Leo Dynevor

Ethan is right!

There are contributing factors to all injuries, car accidents or whatever.

It's unpopular to say, but alex ducking his head was without doubt a contributing factor to his injury. If he doesn't duck his head for my books, he would not have suffered as severe an injury.

Take a car accident as a good example. Speed may be a factor in an accident, not the cause, but a factor. More damage can happen in the accident due to the speed, but that does not mean the person speeding was at fault. The person may not have even been speading, 60km/h vs 40km/h, that extra 20 increases the damage in an accident and is a factor.

Thats not saying he is to blame for what happened. Lifting in the tackle was to blame as if that didn't happen, there would be no injury at all.

12. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It's only a contributing factor under the law if Alex made a deliberate and conscious decision to do it. If it could be proved that Alex was trying to fall on his head to milk a penalty - that would be a contributing factor. What his instincts told him to do in a split second is not a contributing factor. It is not something he could control in any way, so not his fault.
    As an example, some people have got off culpable driving charges by proving they had a sneezing fit they couldn't control - hard to prove - but not your fault if you can prove you had no control. Much easier for Alex. No one in their right mind thinks he was trying to break his own neck.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  13. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Leo Dynevor

And I didn't say it was his fault. We don't need to get all armchair lawyer about it.

It was an accident, nobody intended to hurt him, he didn't intend to be hurt, or milk a penalty, it was just an accident.

Accidents have contributing factors whether the person meant it or not.

Tasgirl likes this.
  14. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    I don't expect him to either, but who knows, with new experiences, and knowledge he may come back to give back and help out again. He's doing a degree (not sure if he's finished) and might do another one at some point so there are opportunities for him rather then being pigeonholed into one thing.

What if by some crazy chance, he can walk again, to an extent, maybe being a trainer or something? Who knows.

15. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

He would need to be able to run on and off the field to be a trainer, I don't think anyone believes this to be possible.

16. rhugh89

Alex McKinnon opens up about emotions after watching footage from his NRL career

The Daily Telegraph
    March 29, 2017 5:51pm

AN emotional Alex McKinnon has opened up about being pleasantly surprised by watching footage of himself playing in the NRL.

In a lengthy Instagram post, McKinnon said he had forgotten memories of his playing career after a tackle left him wheelchair bound.

But the former St George Illawarra and Newcastle forward found enjoyment recently after watching a four-minute YouTube clip of some of his NRL career as he prepared content for his personal website.

“In the midst of everything that has gone on over the past three years,” McKinnon wrote.

“I have only watched version (sic) of myself playing rugby league once. I remember it made me extremely emotional and filed me with so much sadness of the change in my life.

“I have a smile on my face writing this because (the footage) made me extremely proud of the player I was. In the noise of everything I honestly forgot my memories of me playing but thought more towards the times around my brothers and what we could of achieve, as that was what I missed most.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/3b0a9b72fe02fce7b1bbbc36c1a6afc1

17. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Onya Alex. Great to hear from him again.

18. rhugh89

Former Knights star Alex McKinnon joins Fox Sports as a sideline commentator

Phil Rothfield, The Sunday Telegraph
    June 10, 2017 9:00pm

ALEX McKinnon is joining Fox Sports as a sideline commentator for the remainder of the NRL season.

The wheelchair-bound former Knights star will make his sideline debut in two weeks for Newcastle’s home game against the Wests Tigers.

He has spent the past few weeks on the sidelines being trained for the role by former skipper and State of Origin legend Danny Buderus.

McKinnon is determined to prove he can have a career in television despite his obvious restrictions as a quadriplegic.

He will have a microphone pinned to his shirt and a cable staffer will carry a boom mike for when he is interviewing players at halftime and after the game.

Fox Sports head of television Steve Crawley has no doubts McKinnon will be a great addition to the team.

“Alex can still get around — he told me he’d watched a game on the hill recently,” Crawley said.

“He wants to give it a shot. He knows his footy and people know him.

“He’s a nice guy, they’ll welcome him into their homes.

“Bedsy (Buderus) is really good on the sidelines and he’s been showing him what to do.”

McKinnon will make his debut on the pay TV network on Wednesday night as a guest on the popular League Life show, hosted by Yvonne Sampson.

He is hoping to become a regular commentator on the station from next season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/daf594b6cfc82e9626debdcb02bbd082

19. rhugh89

Not sure how manly watched it but there was a great interview with Alex last night on League Life

Alex talks about his recovery, His goals, What he is doing with his life and how he felt after the incident compared to now as well as his feelings towards Cameron Smith, Jordan McLean and the Melbourne Storm

He has come so far, Very proud and I hope he reaches his goals

#232 Once a Knight, Always a Knight

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ale...e/news-story/3df0731095ba85709fcf7245b4dda312

Lefty and mozza like this.
  20. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Was great to hear from him. He speaks really well and hopefully his commentary gig works out well for him.

Was thinking the other day about where he'd be at now if he hadn't got injured. He'd probably be our captain and close to rep footy if that were the case.