Aaron Woods

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by rhugh89, May 26, 2018.

1. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I just said in another thread that he’s not the player he was but he walks in to our team and is the best forward immediately no doubt about that.

88Knight4life likes this.
  2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Probably should of left this post till after tonight, he may just kill us tonight now.

P.S he averaged 31tks 137m in 2017.
    Has had less minutes this year but still over 25tks and 110m

Joshhh likes this.
  3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

People tend to think that just because a player is past their career best years, they must do nothing anymore & have disappeared.

4. 88Knight4life

30pts
    I said in another post that some just follow what the media dish up, others find a way to either love a player no matter what or hate them no matter what.

I try to see the pros in every player vs the cons and if the pros outway the cons than i want them.

So for me and what our club needs in a prop are
    Pros.
    Aggression,
    want to hurt players with ball in hand or defense.

Enthusiasm,
    willing to put every bit of himself on the line in attack or defense no matter the out come.

Cons of that player,
    Penalties.
    Suspension.

Now for me JWH fits that bill, so id want him at our club atm.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Is JWH a chance to come here or is it more about the type we are looking at and why we need them

6. 88Knight4life

No rumor of JWH coming.

This is just a convo of what id wamt in a prop for our team and help the forum meets its post targets for the day :giggle:

7. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    he is also the most overrated prop in the NRL so being a grub adds to that

8. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From NRL.com

Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has laughed off links to Bulldogs forward Aaron Woods, who is set to link with Cronulla as Canterbury try to get their salary cap sorted.

Brown refuted suggestions the Knights would land the Australian international, joking that any player that has come onto the market seemed to be linked to Newcastle.

"We are in the market for apparently everyone – anyone that is off contract we get linked to," he said.

"From what we understand, Woodsy is a Sydney man. His mum is nearby and he is going to have a family soon.

"Whether it is Cronulla, or back to the Tigers – write anything, make up a story, but I don't think he's coming to Newcastle."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/10...nks-to-newcastle-knights-signing-aaron-woods/

9. 88Knight4life

Woods has two options.
    Option 1 - stay at the dogs and make them move others on, this will make him very unliked amongst he's piers.

Option 2 - see which club throws enough funds in the bowl that helps the dogs get back in th green.

Say the Tigers offer 550k
    The Sharks offer 500k
    And we come in with a 700k offer
    The dogs will sign Woods over to us before the other 2 clubs.

Now would this be a good result for us? On paper yes 100%
    Though if woods didnt want to come here? He would be a very expensive depression case.

Either way, Brown would be silly to not at least invite woods up to newcastle for a free dinner a chat and see what comes from that.

6mths ago Brown would of had very similar thoughts about Pearce but after having a great sales pitch to go with a fat bank balance on offer we landed a pretty big fish.

10. Frank McWilliams

Woods coming to Knights unwillingly due to highest payment could be ok with us depending on his contract length, if he just fills a position his overall worth would decline for future signings but do we want to pay 750k to find out and what else is available for say about half X 2 players if any available, his signing should depend on his want and our need otherwise forget it.

11. 88Knight4life

Prop is our number 1 priority by a long way.
    Atm the props available on the market have all just about sailed away.

If we knew 100% that we could land Napa, id say leave woods to the Sydney clubs but Napa isnt off contract and the noise of him wanting out is non existent.
    So if Woods is the best prop on the market atm ( which he is ) than id think Brown would be very silly to not at least invite woods up for a chat.

12. Frank McWilliams

And a long lunch

13. 88Knight4life

Very long lunch kicked off at scratchleys than over to the brewery ending at wests with a open bar and Mr Gardiner leaving a toiletries bag in the suite at the executive inn

14. Frank McWilliams

Classy update on paper bag to toiletry bag, nice touch, wouldn't mind an invite to that long lunch myself lol

15. Wobbles

Wobbles Mike McLean

This development might mean Woods stays with the Doggies. Has a nasty smell all over it and looks like they're taking the easy way out.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/14...nrl-to-retire-kieran-foran-on-medical-grounds

Canterbury Bulldogs look to retire injured five-eighth Kieran Foran on medical grounds
    [​IMG]By The Mole

Kieran Foran’s rugby league career may be over, with the Bulldogs secretly attempting to retire the former superstar halfback on medical grounds.

Foran is currently sidelined for at least a month with a toe injury, and has also been carrying a neck-shoulder problem.

The former Kiwi Test ace was signed by former Bulldogs coach Des Hasler from the Warriors last year on a deal worth around a $1 million a season.

But Foran has failed to live up to the hype and with off-field problems also hampering him, looks a mere shadow of the player who starred for Manly and New Zealand in recent years.

If the NRL agrees to allow Foran to be retired by the club, he will still get his contract money.

But more significantly for the Bulldogs, his $1 million wage next season will not go into the salary cap, giving them some much needed breathing space.

The club has been left with massive cap problems by Hasler and former chief executive Raelene Castle, who put a host of star players on heavily back-ended contracts.

As a result, the Morris twins will move to England next season, while Moses Mbye (Tigers) and Aaron Woods (Sharks) could be gone within days.

16. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

IMO that would be ideal for the Dogs. He's a shadow of the player he was and I for one have always thought he was overrated so the Dogs would love to get rid of him.

He's heart ain't in it it's clear to see and he's the highest paid player at the club.

Interesting to see what happens because by all reports Woods and Mbye are ready to go now before June 30, so if they do want to keep Woods they'd want to sort this quickly, which is un-likely.

I think Pay would still want to offload Woods, he's by all reports on way too much money so even if Foran goes moving Woods is still a good idea.

You'd think the Dogs will be back in the player market next year if Woods, Foran and Mbye all go.

17. Wobbles

Wobbles Mike McLean

The best analogy I can come up with is that Dean Pay managed to almost sidestep the steaming Bulldog turd that Des and Castle left behind, but not entirely.
    Pay still got a little mess on his heel, had to sacrifice Mbye to scrape off most of it and will probably use the Morris boys to get the rest of it.

I'm so glad Foran didn't end up here....

18. Frank McWilliams

Is it just suspicious me BUT doesn't it all sound so convenient/suspicious and happening now ahead of June 30.

Jaybro likes this.
  19. BargeArse

BargeArse Darius Boyd

That would be ideal for Dogs, but I don’t know how “suspicious” it is. They can’t force Foran to retire. He has to come to that decision himself, and probably with some medical backing. Sounds all above board to me. Maybe they just caught a lucky break with this one.

20. Wobbles

Wobbles Mike McLean

The biggest consolation as an outsider looking in is that they lost one of their best player in Mbye in the process.
    That, and there aren't any renowned halves floating around there to replace Foran in the short term.

Looks like Cogger will be their #1 half next year, maybe they'll try and temp Lamb as well...