2019 Pre Season and Trials

Glasby has had a similar career to Ben Cross - kicked around in lower grades for years - signed for Melbourne - went OK - left Melbourne - bad move.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Melbourne_Storm_season#2007_Squad

Just by being a ball boy you’d make Origin in that team. The good teams get preference in rep circles. Moving to our basket case of a club in 2008 obviously hindered any chance of Origin selection.

Glasby has no excuses with our lineup. People have already been putting him on the bench with our squad, which isn’t too bad for a journeyman who played Origin last year. He just isn’t in the mould of Cross or Lilyman in this case to compare imo.

Tim Glasby is efficient in what he does. He keeps things tight around the ruck defensively and has a quick play the ball. He won't split the line readily, but his teamates love him. No lesser judge than Cameron Smith wanted him in his origin team. That will do me. I love those players and i think you always need one or two at your club.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Everyone is quick to judge Glasby yet the majority of us also loved having Hilder in the team.

Before we bought Klemmer, Glasby was probably the workhorse type player we really needed, but with Klemmer capable of real impact AND solid work for 60 minutes, and with Dan and Eseese both capable of at least 50 minutes of the same, our other middles will only get short minutes, so another impact guy like Gavet might be more handy - until Klemmer is out for any reason of course - then we need someone with some solid minutes in them.

week 10 be the payer video has footage of an actual opposed session where they seem to be divided into firsts and reserves.
No real surprizes - Buhrer, Levi and Mann were all playing firsts and all on the field at the same time.
I didn't see Crossland - it looked like Lino and Hoy in the halves in reserves.
Pearce was in yellow with no footage of him actually playing, but maybe they are just not risking him getting hurt.

week 10 be the payer video has footage of an actual opposed session where they seem to be divided into firsts and reserves.
No real surprizes - Buhrer, Levi and Mann were all playing firsts and all on the field at the same time.
I didn't see Crossland - it looked like Lino and Hoy in the halves in reserves.
Pearce was in yellow with no footage of him actually playing, but maybe they are just not risking him getting hurt.
Where did you watch the footage? I can't seem to find the week 10 one.

Considering going to the first trial against the Dragons, never been to a trail game before do i need to buy tickets before i go or just when i get to the ground

Looking at the footage of the session at Toronto today, we are running an insanely young second string side - kids like Matt Croker, TexHoy, Crossland, I think brandon Russell in the 13, Toa, Sasagi, Huth - all under 20s available, and a few can still play under 18s. Others like Andrews, Jones, Momoisea, Fermor etc are still 20 till their birthdays come around.
Only old guys I can see in reserves are Ross, King, Lino and Stone - Woolford was probably there too.
I expected to see a few older guys from the part time squad, but I'm starting to think we are just going to use 19 and 20 year olds for reserve grade this year.

Interesting photo of Pearce and Crossland in the paper today.
Crossland looks a bit taller and just as solidly built as Pearce, who is a pretty decent size for a halfback.
Crossland has always been tall for a halfback, but just 6 months ago he was a skinny guy - all prick and ribs as they used to say about skinny kids.
I don't know where Crossland fits in with Lino needing to play at halfback in reserves in case we need him in firsts, but from all reports, Crossland has had a massive off season and should get a spot in reserves somewhere.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...hering-in-next-generation-of-backline-talent/

Article about SKD mentoring "backline talents" Star Toa, Bradman Best and Simi Sasagi.

The interesting thing about that is Simi training for the backline apparently. He says his preferred position is 5/8, but he got very little time at 5/8 in under 18s last year because we also had Crossland and Jock Madden in the team, and Madden was the player of the season for the entire comp playing 5/8 for us. Simi played at centre, wing, 5/8, a bit of second row, but mostly as a bench utility/hooker. I don't know where he will end up, but wing or centre seems a bit of a waste for a guy with obvious playmaking skills, even though his running game is probably his best aspect.
I think he is the youngest guy to do a firstgrade off season since Sione, and you might have to go back to Owen Craigie to find someone younger.

Knights reveal strongest, fittest and fastest for 2019

Newcastle Knights
Thu 31 Jan 2019, 09:51 AM

They're the results often closely guarded by NRL clubs.

For the first time in the history of the nib Newcastle Knights, the performance staff are lifting the lid on the strongest, fittest and fastest for 2019.

Pre-season is the optimal time for testing and pushing the limits.

The playing group have done that with a gruelling training regime which has unearthed several standout performers emerging on the field and inside the gym.

When it comes to pound for pound weight, Head of Physical Performance Balin Cupples said Sione Mata'utia is the strongest of the forwards, closely followed by Herman Ese'ese.

Shifting from centre to the backrow this season, the former Test winger is at the head of the pack.

For the backs and halves, Connor Watson is the standout.

"Sione Mata'utia for the forwards and then obviously Connor Watson for the backs," Cupples said.

"A lot stronger relative but both those guys are at the top of their positional groups, both in raw numbers and relative.

"Most of the boys have had multiple increases across all areas."

The half-turned fullback has not only increased his muscle mass but seen dramatic strength increases in the gym which sees him poll at the top of the list in his weights group.

On the field, Watson is challenging for the title of quickest at the club but according to Cupples, new recruit Edrick Lee has both he and Kalyn Ponga covered.

"Fastest would have to be Edrick Lee," Cupples said.

"Obviously a natural runner and needs a little bit more distance to get moving but can move.

"Anything over 35 metres plus."

When it comes to fitness, the skipper leads by example.

Mitchell Pearce has a motor that doesn't quit.

"Fittest both in any games or footy we do and conditioning, running, testing wise has got to be Mitch Pearce," Cupples said.

"He is obviously phenomenally gifted aerobically and to do it all with the decision making, he's on another level."

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...eveal-strongest-fittest-and-fastest-for-2019/

Lee being fastest over 35 plus is all very well, but the only time that is really useful is if you make a break and have 60 or more metres in front of you - which happens maybe 3 times a year if you are lucky.
Watson and Ponga have the speed over the first 15 or so, which is what really counts.

Lee being fastest over 35 plus is all very well, but the only time that is really useful is if you make a break and have 60 or more metres in front of you - which happens maybe 3 times a year if you are lucky.
Watson and Ponga have the speed over the first 15 or so, which is what really counts.
Support runners for Ponga and Watson will be crucial. Praying that Watson can get his passes in order off the break.

Back