2019 Coaching Staff and Football Department

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Wobbles

Wobbles Brad Godden

Hard to not be excited with this appointment.

Quality administrators bring confidence to an organisation, hopefully that helps draw more quality players.

2. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

He was CEO at the roosters so should have a good idea of how to rort the salary cap also. :lol:

3. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Mooney who?

Seems like a great guy to tear apart a roster and rebuild it, but this guys an upgrade for where we are at, at the minute.

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Kostjaysyn given reserve grade again.
    Nothing against him, but Lowrie has proved himself a really good coach for developing young players and has already coached most of the guys who will be in reserve grade next year. I'd have gone with Lowrie.

5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

When is Trent Robinson off contract?

6. krustykraz

krustykraz Nathan Barnes

He just signed a new contract that will make him the longest serving Roosters coach.

7. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

That's unfortunate.

8. Wobbles

Wobbles Brad Godden

He'd have been a handy reserves coach :lol:

9. knightime

knightime Steve Walters

10. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Hopefully Dureau isn’t teaching them to tackle.

11. Billy

Hard to know how much of the success of under 20s was down to Lowrie and how much was down to Dureau last year.
    Dureau seems to be a coach on the rise.
    I went to an under 20s trial last year and instead of a warmup Dureau put all the playmakers through a training drill involving all the kicking skills. It was pretty impressive to watch.
    I do feel for Lowrie - he has done really well in his 2 years as a coach.

knightime likes this.
  12. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Is that how long Lowrie would have been with us as player out of curiousity? Also is Rory around next year?

13. Billy

Rory going from under 16s coach to reserve grade coach
    Dureau going from under 18s coach to under 20s coach (he'll basically have the same squad as this year, plus about 10 guys who played under 20s this year).
    No word on who is doing 16s and 18s next year.

14. krustykraz

krustykraz Nathan Barnes

15. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

From my understanding Lowie was offered the reserves job but declined.

16. Wobbles

Wobbles Brad Godden

He's not ripe for a 1st grade gig you'd think, if he wants to keep coaching it'll be most likely as a backup at another club.

Bit of a shame, he has some runs on the board and looked pretty promising.

Lefty likes this.
  17. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Lowrie would have been good for reserves as likely to have a few u20 moving up to reserves, good for them to have familiar coach to bring them through senior football, he has had a bit of success.

18. Billy

Apparently Lowrie was told by Brown he could either have reserve grade or under 20s, which is a good call IMO. He did a really good job in developing young players this year. He gave almost every player in the under 20s roster a chance to show what they can do in every position they seem suited for and prepared them really well to play in those positions. Guys like Hoy played in about 5 positions and seemed to know exactly what he was expected to do in all of them.

Lowrie decided he couldn't accept the fulltime coaching position in reserve grade because it wasn't enough money for his family situation, but would keep coaching under 20s part time - but Gardiner made the call to cut him, seemingly against Brown's wishes. I think that is a bad call. Of our 3 young coaches - Kosty, Dureau and Lowrie, Lowrie has been the most impressive IMO. The other 2 haven't had as long in the job, and Lowrie was a bit dodgy in his first year too - but at this stage Lowrie is doing a great job at preparing young players, and coaches who can do that well don't come along every day.

If Lowrie were prepared to move, I don't think he'll have much trouble getting and under 20s coaching gig at another team.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    Frank McWilliams and Wobbles like this.
  19. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Tony Townsend

Retired
    We all have KPI's to hit and I think a lot of analysis about backroom changes at the Knights are just about the football team. My understanding is that Wests felt backed into a corner on saving the Knight's so they set some pretty tough KPI's that Phil needs to hit as well as his Wests KPI's

The bloke is under real pressure not just deliver on the park but off the park. I think a lot of the decisions that came from the review of operations this is what we need have it in place for less than X$ and oh by the way if your KPI suffer in your day job we are going to come down hard. The reality he can't afford to mess about has to have everything delivered before pre-season. The it's up to Canavan to run things.

The fact they offered Lowrie job in first place is coup for him, when you realise that the most successful NSW cup coach Rip Taylor finished with Wyong last season and they didn't chase him first.

I think things will settle down once the interim arrangements are completed and the new paradigm is in place

20. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    So I take it Lowrie is on the look out for another coaching gig? Will be interesting to see if someone picks him up