2019 Coaching Staff and Football Department

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Since Wests took over we have lost Woolford, Potter, Ayoub and Mooney - all guys handpicked by Brown.
    We have signed Shepherd, Cupples and Woolf - guys who don't seem to have any previous connection with Brown, or with the Knights.

2. Joel

Joel Touche...

Looks like Brown is gonna have to throw something extra into the butter chicken to make up for this, msg maybe?

3. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Ahhh I get it. Another conspiracy theory.

Personally more interested in JFK and MM!

4. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Kade Snowden

Not sure I am reading conspiracy theory into any of this...Gardiner said when Tony Ayoub was leaving that they would only be looking to recruit those willing to move family here to take up roles in future and that was going to be a baseline criteria and I think that related to both players and coaching staff.

Mooney is a great loss to our structure and will be hard to replace but, if his family is still in Sydney (which I didn't realise), he was always likely to be a short to medium term piece of our jigsaw.

One of the things that interests me now is...we haven't really heard anything from the football advisory group that Gardiner set up when Wests took ownership - I wonder what role they are playing because they have been conspicuous by their absence since they were formed and I would think they should be part of the discussion now? Maybe the intent is for them not to be engaged with media but I find it interesting that we've heard nothing since they were set up, certainly not that I've come across anyway.

5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Only thing that puzzles me out of this is why didn't Mooney move his family to Newcastle in the same way we try to get players to do same. Hard to talk someone into it if doing the old "don't do as I do do what I want you to do. We would expect a player signed for 3 years to move into the area.

Lefty likes this.
  6. Billy

Most of Mooney's work would have been in Sydney or Brisbane or Auckland anyway.
    No point in his family living in Newcastle while he spent his time talking to players in Cronulla, Melbourne and Brisbane, as well as catching games and networking is Western Sydney most of the time.
    I'd be surprized if his job required him to spend more than about 30 days a year in Newcastle.

7. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Well the article did say he was burned out & it was an all consuming job, not necessarily spending time away from a family abroad. I remember one time Brown said that it was easier to convince players to Newcastle because him & Mooney had made the move themselves & could help ease the concerns of players.

8. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

I read the "all consuming" part meaning even when he wasn't working, at home with the fam, he was working. It is that type of role.

He wants to take a step back from that sort of involvement and responsibility to enjoy his life and family a bit, can't fault him for that.

Potter was fired basically so didn't "leave" to go twiddle his thumbs.

9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Nutty the conspiracy is with Billy!

10. kurtsux

kurtsux Rod Whitaker

From Sporting News so take this with a grain of salt:

The mail is that NRL head of football Brian Canavan is heading to the Knights to help oversee the club’s revival under their new owners.

Canavan is one of the most experienced officials in the game and a good man manager who knows what it takes to make a football club tick.

Only a few days ago, the Knights parted company with General Manager of Football Darren Mooney.

Mooney told the media he was tired of the stress and long hours and wanted to spend more time with his family.

But I’m hearing he was told there was no job for him in 2019, opening the way for Canavan’s possible entry.

11. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not sure on the last line but I did hear Canavan's name being chucked around

12. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Kade Snowden

Must admit that does not inspire or fill me with hope...

Canavan hasn't been sighted in his tenure at NRL Headquarters since he took up the role, any tough issues that have needed to be addressed he has sat on his hands whilst Greenburg has been the sole front person and I would say he has been no more than a puppet under Greenburg.

I have some faith that Gardiner and the Wests Group are capable of doing their due diligence if he is being considered as a candidate but I don't have faith he is going to be anything but a major step down on Mooney

13. Tubby

Tubby Matthew Rodwell

I highly doubt he would be taking Mooney's position as he has always been a CEO/COO. I suspect Gardner may be stepping back and Canavan taking over

14. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

TOOHEY'S NEWS | NRL head of football Brian Canavan is poised to become director of football at the Newcastle Knights

Brian Canavan spent 18 years in senior roles at the Sydney Roosters including CEO and had a short stint at the Gold Coast Titans before being poached by the NRL to become head of football.

But another career change is on the cards with Canavan poised to be handed the new title of Director of Football at the Newcastle Knights.

The club has wasted no time in spreading the net far and wide to replace former football general manager Darren Mooney, who departed late last week.

Knights CEO Phil Gardner has been inundated with applicants chasing after the job and has already spoken to a number of people.

He was giving little away when we spoke during the week but he did reveal he was looking outside Newcastle with the job to go to someone with plenty of experience who has held a similar position at an NRL club in the past.

That put an end to speculation about the chances of a certain former Knights player who sounded out the club about the position the moment Mooney left.

Names like Peter Parr from the Cowboys, Melbourne Storm’s Frank Ponissi and newly-appointed Warriors head of recruitment Peter O’Sullivan have all been tossed up this week.

But Canavan, who had dealings with Gardner during the process that saw the NRL hand over ownership to Wests Group, is at the top of the list.

The only issue that may block his appointment is the NRL not letting him go.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5647492/column-tooheys-news-knights-zero-in-on-new-football-boss-as-alex-returns/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2018
  15. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

The obvious move would be for Canavan to move in to the CEO role replacing Gardner when he steps aside.

McKinnon is returning to assist Pezet in a role he won't be doing shortly. Must be staying on to assist Canavan?

Any chance McKinnon is learning the ropes to take over as head of football once Pezet takes Gardners role?

16. Billy

The Wests group had a review of the structure and Mooney's position, as it was, no longer exists.
    Many roles have changed.
    We haven't really been told who is doing what now, or what roles they are trying to recruit for.
    Canavan might take on all of Mooney's roles and even more, or he might only be doing a small part of Mooney's job.
    Pezet might be the new recruiting guy.
    It's all speculation.

Defender1 likes this.
  17. Billy

Canavan will be confirmed as new head of football tomorrow according to an article in the Herald.

18. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Paul Marquet

The fact that we as a club are now in a position to attract a person of Canavan's experience and stature in the game is huge! People talk about attracting high profile players to the club, it starts in the front office and having Canavan on board is a huge boost to the clubs credibility! This guy has a long and successful career and the benefit of his experience cannot be understated. Welcome to the new world brothers!

19. Billy

Gardiner seems to have appointed a manager for the football dept who can take over most of the roles of the old CEO - or Matt Gidley's old role - rather than the role Mooney had - which was more a jumped up recruitment guy.
    He has also appointed a marketing guy who can also take on a lot of management type responsibility.
    Basically Gardiner is replacing himself with guys who can run the club and give him a report to keep him up to speed, so Gardiner can go back to his day job of running a business about 20 times the size of the Knights.

20. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Canavan appointed Director of Football

Newcastle Knights
    Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:52 AM

The nib Newcastle Knights are pleased to announce the signing of Mr Brian Canavan as Director of Football.

Mr Canavan joins the Knights from the NRL where he has spent the past two and a half years as Head of Football.

Highly credentialed, he brings years of experience in senior positions including CEO of the Sydney Roosters and Chief Operating Officer of the Gold Coast Titans.

Knights CEO Mr Philip Gardner said while the Club has many applicants for the position, the appointment of Mr Canavan was an easy choice.

"Brian is one of the game's top administrators," Mr Gardner stated.

"He is well regarded and held in a high esteem by his peers. Having someone of his expertise eager to join the organisation is further proof that the Club is headed in the right direction.

"We had some highly qualified applicants for the position but to have a person of Brian's expertise overseeing the Club puts the Knights in a very strong position."

During Mr Canavan's time with the governing body he played a key role in setting up the new pathways programs and had overseen the first increase in participation in Rugby League for several years.

He had also been responsible for setting up the first NRL Women's premiership competition.

Set to join the Knights soon, Mr Canavan is excited to return to clubland with a team growing exponentially and a new Centre of Excellence on the way.

"The Knights are a Club on the rise," Mr Canavan said.

"Not only are they financially secure and well governed but they're building into a very strong contender on the field.

"With the upcoming move into the Centre of Excellence, the team and region are on the cusp of something very special.

"Newcastle is a rugby league town and well positioned to return to its rightful standing as a regional rugby league and sporting powerhouse. I'm excited to be part of it."

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/09/21/canavan-appointed-director-of-football/

Wobbles likes this.