2018 State of Origin Series: Game 1

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by rhugh89, Apr 27, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Jun 6, 2018.
  1. NSW 13+

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. NSW 1-12

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. QLD 1-12

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. QLD 13+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

1 prop on bench is a bit worrying though

2. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Jake and Jack can cover prop.

3. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

They can I'm sure but origin is an arena for an out and out prop. Fill ins will be dangerous or work out well.

4. krustykraz

krustykraz Russell Wyer

Qld have no props on the bench

5. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Holden State of Origin I match officials

NRL Media Release
    Tue 29 May 2018, 03:23 PM

Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein will referee the 2018 Holden State of Origin I at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday, June 6.

Nick Beashel and Brett Suttor will be touch judges for the match, while Steve Chiddy (Senior Review Official) and Ben Galea (Review Official) will operate the NRL Bunker.

Sutton has officiated in the past 10 State of Origin matches, while Klein refereed in the 2013 series.

The selections were made by the referees appointments committee, which includes Senior Manager Officiating Bernard Sutton, Officiating Head Coach Michael Maguire and Assistant Referees Coaches Russell Smith and Steve Carrall.

"We took into account form, consistency and experience when nominating the officiating group," Bernard Sutton said.

"Both the referees have been in excellent form over the opening rounds of the season and will take that form into the opening Origin game."

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said Sutton and Klein deserved to referee the opening Origin encounter.

"Gerard has refereed in three NRL Grand Finals, last year's World Cup Final, as well as every Origin match since Game Three of 2014," Canavan said.

"Ashley has refereed three Super League Grand Finals, a Challenge Cup Final as well as a World Cup final.

"They are the form referees and clearly have big-game experience. I congratulate all the officials on their appointments."

The match officials for the first Holden State of Origin match, on June 6, are:

Referee: Gerard Sutton

Assist Referee: Ashley Klein

Senior Review Official: Steve Chiddy

Review Official: Ben Galea

Touch Judges: Nick Beashel, Brett Suttor

Standby Referee: Ben Cummins

Standby Touch Judge: Chris Butler

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/29/holden-state-of-origin-i-match-officials/

6. rhugh89

What exactly has Brian Canavan been watching in 2018 ??

"They are the form referees and clearly have big-game experience. I congratulate all the officials on their appointments."

Bernard Sutton takes the cake though

"Both the referees have been in excellent form over the opening rounds of the season and will take that form into the opening Origin game."

Must be great having your brother as refs boss, Guaranteed appointments regardless of how you go

7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Mr Clean should have got the bum's rush last year giving Uate a try without referring to the Bunker when the ball was clearly dropped. His performance rubbing out the Tigers against the Donkeys was also a stinker so a great reward.

What confuses me roughie in your post is with refereeing so poor, we have a Senior Manager, a Head Coach and two Assistants. We ain't getting value for the coin IMHO.

Tasgirl likes this.
  8. rhugh89

The refs aren't held to account either regardless of performance

Tasgirl likes this.
  9. rhugh89

Tasgirl likes this.
  10. rhugh89

Interesting comparisons done by NRL.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ForeverKnights likes this.
  11. ForeverKnights

ForeverKnights Adrian Brunker

NSW to win in a tight battle.

12. rhugh89

13. Knightsobsessed

Knightsobsessed Peter Malcolm

14. rhugh89

Statement from the QRL

Billy Slater has today confirmed he will not play in the opening match of the Holden State of Origin series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground due to a hamstring injury.

"I didn't pull up as well as I would have liked after our training run on Sunday, and because I'm not 100 per cent, it's in my best interests as well as the team's to withdraw from Wednesday's game," Slater said.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters will consult with selectors and senior players before deciding on the final make-up of the side closer to kick off.

He confirmed Anthony Milford and Kalyn Ponga will join the Maroons squad in Melbourne tonight.

"We knew we had some concerns with Billy, but he's a champion player and we needed to give him every chance to play," Walters said.

"We've had plans in place to cover Billy if he didn't come up right, and we've actioned that today with Anthony and Kalyn coming in."

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/06/04/maroons-statement-billy-slater/

15. member 2299

Retired
    Who gives a tinker's cuss as long as they don't play Kalyn.

Remember Smithy begging selectors not to play Mullen? Too young.

16. Frank McWilliams

They have one (Slater) down and select two (Milford and Ponga) and have other options in full squad, IMO he won't play

17. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Banned

Confirmed Mildford to Bench and Ponga 18th Man.

BUT!! Gagai just dislocated his finger!!!!

Hunt is also in doubt with a cork!!!

Ponga might play afterall off the becnh as utility

18. member 2299

Retired
    Interesting reported on Fox News today Darby is finished as far as State of Origin selection goes.

He was named as 'cover' for Slater and asked to train with the squad. He refused and took his wife to NZ for a five day break. Powers that be in red neck county have decided he is finished completely as a maroon player.,

19. Frank McWilliams

Surely Gagai didn't hurt it at tackling practice, what are the odds of that happening

20. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

http://live.nswrl.com.au/match/2e0d0d72570a3ce9d/b5f667f86cf19ab99

Knights have 4 players in the under 18s SOO game which will be live streamed before the main game.

3/ Bradman Best - playing a year young - big, fast, strong natural athlete. I'd say he is the best natural athlete we've seen since Uate.

6/ Jock Madden - little guy, but really, really smart. He got player of the year for both the Knights and the whole SG Ball comp, and I reckon we would have lost about 4 games more if not for his last minute miracle plays.
    7/ Pheonix Crossland - he played with a shoulder injury all season, but still makes the NSW side again (Crossland and Madden were the halves for NSW under 16s in 2016). He has a massive boot - kicks the ball for miles. He is also a decent size and a very clever half and a good athlete. Of all the young halves we have, Crossland and Hoy look like the best athletes.

17/ Jaron Purcell - tough and hardworking lock who is a year young and got MOTM for NSW under 16s last year as well as MOTM in our grandfinal win last year.

Brock Gardiner - another hardworking lock - missed out because of a hamstring injury.

Frank McWilliams likes this.